VW diesel emissions scandal

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
I do wonder however when these cars come to mot time, will they be refused if they don't have this "patch" placed into their software or the various hardware added.

Yes it's a smoke test for cars, however if it's know these cars are failing the standard they where sold at are you facing mot disruption initially.

I also wonder what's gonna happen when half of these cars go back in with egr / dpf removed out of them!

AC

RMS Regular
Never mind egr/dpf @Colin , what about the people with popcorn limiters? It's those guys I feel sorry for the most, they might lose it!

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Going to be a big market for "re-remapping" soon lol.

Rover ftw. No company or coolness but no dpf or all this crap lol.

markmeus

RMS Regular
I presume there's no point in getting a remapped car "fixed"? I presume the fix will wipe the existing remap and the cars emissions would have be wrong anyway regardless of what VW had been tinkering with.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Well any money there will be a big vw database showing what cars have and havnt had the files tinkered with.

I wonder if it will be public, require a certificate for insurance purposes etc.

Honestly feel we are only on the cusp off a lot of hassle for this.

How long until they want all cars plugged in at odb port for mot. Will this be the start of it now, using the vw emissions scandal to use it as excuse to check cars etc.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Well any money there will be a big vw database showing what cars have and havnt had the files tinkered with.

I wonder if it will be public, require a certificate for insurance purposes etc.

How long until they want all cars plugged in at odb port for mot. Will this be the start of it now, using the vw emissions scandal to use it as excuse to check cars etc.

Yeah I think you're right , though I'd be less worried about maps and more worried about emissions checks and DPF/EGR removals at MOT for diesels. One of my reasons for not being too worried about the DPF giving bother was that I'd get it gutted & remap. If it becomes part of the test I'm not sure what I'd do.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Yeah I think you're right , though I'd be less worried about maps and more worried about emissions checks and DPF/EGR removals at MOT for diesels. One of my reasons for not being too worried about the DPF giving bother was that I'd get it gutted & remap. If it becomes part of the test I'm not sure what I'd do.

It's only a matter of time before that's all tightened up anyway, but this saga could well speed it up.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
Going to be a big market for "re-remapping" soon lol.

Rover ftw. No company or coolness but no dpf or all this crap lol.
Aye you can just have to worry about your cardboard/km emissions in terms of how much of it's head gasket its munching.... Much better :p

martylad

RMS Member
Following the emissions scandal VW have suggested a new method of emissions testing
To be carried out by the directors in question over the cheat software
It involves a VW diesel, a locked garage and a length of hose.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350

How would plugging your car into an OBD port for MOT make any sort of difference to emmissions and why would a certificate be required for insurance, the safety and build quality aspect is not what is under scrutiny?

Gavlar

RMS Regular
It was actually seriously considered by DVLA a year or two ago about plugging cars into OBD port to see it anything was altered beyond manufacturer, was meant to come in 2015/16 with 2011 cars being first new cars affected. No doubt this will start it up again

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
On what basis can they justify failing a car on that though considering engine swaps pass mot never mind map changes?

Last edited:

dervsport

RMS Regular
It was actually seriously considered by DVLA a year or two ago about plugging cars into OBD port to see it anything was altered beyond manufacturer, was meant to come in 2015/16 with 2011 cars being first new cars affected. No doubt this will start it up again

How would plugging into the OBD plug identify if anything was altered beyond manufacturer spec?

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
How would plugging into the OBD plug identify if anything was altered beyond manufacturer spec?

There could be some checksum errors indicating an alteration to the calibration, depends how intelligent the remap is.

In the USA they do check for emissions related DTC's and I guess that could come in here but again if the remap is decent you can run these off anyway

dervsport

RMS Regular
No clue, just know it was talked about being introduced

I really doubt it as there is no way to know if the software on a vehicle is modified by plugging into the OBD plug, you could look at flash counters or even call up data on the last flash date etc but there would be no way to know if the software was factory or otherwise. I honestly never heard about the DVLAs intention to do this so I doubt was a case of Chinese whispers.

dervsport

RMS Regular
There could be some checksum errors indicating an alteration to the calibration, depends how intelligent the remap is.

In the USA they do check for emissions related DTC's and I guess that could come in here but again if the remap is decent you can run these off anyway

If there was checksum errors the car wouldn't be running, that's the point of a checksum. Yea I agree EOBD was designed as an emissions regulation and I could see how this would be used to check that a vehicle is meeting standards but as you say it's not difficult to remove the fault codes.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
If there was checksum errors the car wouldn't be running, that's the point of a checksum. Yea I agree EOBD was designed as an emissions regulation and I could see how this would be used to check that a vehicle is meeting standards but as you say it's not difficult to remove the fault codes.

When I say checksum error I mean one stating the checksum is different than the OEM value and this sets a DTC essentially indicating that the car has been remapped

dervsport

RMS Regular
When I say checksum error I mean one stating the checksum is different than the OEM value and this sets a DTC essentially indicating that the car has been remapped

Very very rarely will that code be present and couldn't possibly be relied on to tell if cars have been remapped.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
image.jpeg