DVA/VOSA?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Can someone explain to me difference between these two please?

I was on the understanding that we operate on DVANI regulations which are derived from but not the same as VOSA who operate on the mainland.

If the above is true do they therefore have any legal rights to test a car (at these frequent mobile test sights that seem to pop up) here in NI?

I haven't been stopped or tested, I'm usually a good boy now and my cars are usually legal and declared, but just purely for my own knowledge sales like to know :grinning:

Many thanks in advance

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Vosa powers were standardised across all uk agencies the may now be called a different name but their officers have exactly the same powers

scub

Banned
you see them the odd time on annadale embankment pulling random people into a bus terminus which is a bit strange !
never been pulled as i'm normallyylegal but i wouldn't be stopping for them unless a cops standing there pointing a gun at me .
do you legally have to stop for them at all ?
fkn jobsworth time wasters , what are the thousand anpr cameras this country is plagued with & we pay for there for then ??

purplea4T

RMS Regular
And yes, they are authorised officers under Road Traffic legislation so can stop and detain a vehicle for the purposes of examination.
And @pablo, you've hit the nail on the head buddy.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
what are the thousand anpr cameras this country is plagued with & we pay for there for then ??

As has been well covered, they are purely for tracking all motorists with legal/visible front plates movements.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Anpr can't detect a dangerous car.

The big thing is....almost all accidents and problems are caused by dangerous drivers...not their vehicles. Maybe someday they'll pump some resources into that real problem instead.

It's as dumb as these posts on facebook saying the police will spend thousands on forensics on peoples phones after an accident....really, the phone was the problem and not the driver ?
News to me.

scub

Banned
Anpr can't detect a dangerous car.
neither can they at a bus stop ! what sort of danger are we talking about here? not stirring it, genuinely don't know the reason for them randomly stopping on the face of it road legal cars ?
thought that's what annual mot s were for. ?

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
neither can they at a bus stop ! what sort of danger are we talking about here? not stirring it, genuinely don't know the reason for them randomly stopping on the face of it road legal cars ?
thought that's what annual mot s were for. ?

Some people change/add/remove things to pass MOT and then change/add/remove them again afterwards, for example, cats.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
An annual MOT is only valid when it is done. Take 15 minutes to walk round the car park of your nearest shopping centre and it should tell you everything about why the testing stations are on the road.
Stevie makes some points that make me wonder how he's allowed out on his own sometimes. To have a successful investigation, all avenues must be explored, especially when it's life changing or fatal, be it forensic examination of a phone, a vehicle, the road surface. I don't know many phones that can be operated without human input, maybe that's why they are examined?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I don't know many phones that can be operated without human input, maybe that's why they are examined?

So that's why it's completely idiotic....whatever caused the distraction is irrelevant, the driver is still the person responsible and supposed to be in control of the vehicle.
This stupid obsession with phones is just that. Phones dont cause accidents. idiotic, dangerous or incompetent drivers do.

So how much are they spending to rectify that ? Certainly forensics playing with their phones will do absolutely nothing.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Because, as sure as my arse points south, people will lie when they do something wrong. They will lie about speed, vehicle condition, phone use and more besides. It's the burden of proof that's needed.

scub

Banned
An annual MOT is only valid when it is done. Take 15 minutes to walk round the car park of your nearest shopping centre and it should tell you everything about why the testing stations are on the road.
Stevie makes some points that make me wonder how he's allowed out on his own sometimes. To have a successful investigation, all avenues must be explored, especially when it's life changing or fatal, be it forensic examination of a phone, a vehicle, the road surface. I don't know many phones that can be operated without human input, maybe that's why they are examined?
by testing station you mean a bloke in a lay by with no jacking equipment (or in the case i've seen several times , a bus terminus !!)
outside of tyres & lights they aren't gonna be fit to test much .
or are they there to back up the psni in their never ending crusade against the heinous crimes of metro plates & window tints....
don't get me wrong - any numbnut driving around with blinding cheap sh!t hid's or stupid looking dangerous cut springs & w@nked out cambers deserve the book thrown at them !
since any defect will be quickly spotted in the event of an accident ,just seems a bit of a waste of funding that could be spent elsewhere ( like more driver tuition for eg. as the state of driving on our roads is def getting fkn worse)

avo5021

RMS Regular
As Stevie pointed out, VOSA are no longer in force they are now DVSA, they do not and never have operated in Northern Ireland (despite all the FB posts of VOSA staying in certain hotels etc).

DVA Enforcement operates here and do an excellent job in what they do, they have serious powers to test vehicles, retest vehicles, prohibit vehicles and issue Fixed Penalty notices for many offences far more than Police can do in relation to vehicles, drivers hours, loads etc etc.

They have a Power to stop vehicles and failure to comply wit their requests would constitute an offence.

Police do operate alongside them but they can and do operate alone.

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Good to know!

So all these pics on FB of VOSA vehicles claimed to be in certain areas are just bs then? As you say they have never and do not operate here

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Vosa vehicles are dvsa vehicles so to speak.All I know is when I see them I near **** as being a truck driver trying to make a living ,doing it legally is totally impossible and when the lights get flashed at you it's time to start getting the thinking cap very very quickly as you know it's going to be a ball ache and cost a lot of money.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.