Classic Car Registration - Applying for V5C with Original Green NI Taxbook.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
No it's on the mother in laws until such times as I get the house finished and can afford a toy!

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Well. After 2months and abit off giving off my v5 has arrived including the original cherished number.

They told me that the car didn't exist, I called the mot centre to try and book an mot and the car was on their system. I Rang Swansea and asked if the car didn't exist how come I can book an mot? They called me back 2hours later to say that the documents for the car that didn't exist had been found and they would issue a v5. Result.

Cheers for that bit of advice, I was getting nowhere telling them the car was on HPi sites etc. When I mentioned I had booked an MOT online with the details I had, suddenly they were able to find the car on their system. V5 is now in the post to me.

Last edited:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Cheers for that bit of advice, I was getting nowhere telling them the car was on HPi sites etc. When I mentioned I had booked an MOT online with the details I had, suddenly they were able to find the car on their system. V5 is now in the post to me.

Great! Glad that helped you, hope you didn't pay their fee! lol

Reactions: AMG

vat19rotax

Done this many times and have 2 to do this week.

Print the V62 Form https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/360103/V62_220714.pdf

Fill in all the details

Part 1 Vehicle details

Part 2 Your details as the new keeper.

Part 3 on the V62 "Why don't you have a V5C"
X I cannot produce it for another reason. (give details below)
Write see covering letter. Attach a covering letter explaining you have the old green NI taxbook and you have been given the car to restore or whatever and you would like to get a new V5C in your name as the owner.

Part 4 Send them £25 fee.

Part 5 Sign and date it

Swansea will contact Coleraine as the records will be in the archives and send a letter to the last registered keeper, if the last keeper doesn't reply within 2 weeks claiming the vehicle they will send you the new V5C in your name.
I always send a V890 to SORN the vehicle at the same time to avoid getting the automatic fine for a vehicle not taxed or sorned.

On the odd occasion they might send you another form requiring more details, fill it in and send some photos of chassis no. and so on.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Hi what if you don't have the Taxbook but know all the details, also is there particular wording on the attached paper which can be of advantage? best regards B