Reverse Camera Install Woes!! :(

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Please folks, someone help me out here.

I've just installed an aftermarket reserve camera to the Pioneer headunit in my VW Caddy.

The camera works perfectly with just the ignition on but as soon as I start the engine the screen goes black.

Can someone please tell me what i've done wrong lol. The camera is powered from the reverse light feed, the negative from the camera is fitted to the factory ground at the rear of the van and the headunit switch feed is also taken from the reverse light feed.

Like I say, it works 100% with just the ignition on then stops when I start the engine (van in reverse of course).

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
You need a constant 12v to the camera
Reverse light feed drops when the engine is running so no good

Ah right ok, Will give that a go.

How come the reserve lights work when the engine is running if they don't have a feed?? I am crap at auto electrics as you can tell lol

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
They have a feed but it's not constant 12v with engine running So will work fine(voltage drops and rises)
The camera needs a constant 12v

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Is it not that the screen cant be viewed while handbrake is off ? Isnt that a safety feature of aftermarket headunits with screens ?

Maybe theres a setting in the menus.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
They have a feed but it's not constant 12v with engine running So will work fine(voltage drops and rises)
The camera needs a constant 12v

Is that the VAG Canbus that does that then?

Is it not that the screen cant be viewed while handbrake is off ? Isnt that a safety feature of aftermarket headunits with screens ?

No mate, that's all dead on and the screen is working with handbrake on or off. Cheers.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia

Maybe theres a setting in the menus.
It's a reverse camera,reversing would be a handling with the handbrake on lol

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Don't power the camera from the reverse switch feed - the stereo only requires a few Milliamps to trigger the screen to receive camera input, but the Camera draw could be too much draw for the tiny amount of power from the intelligent power supply for this circuit.

Keep the camera switched on while the van is running by connecting to a heavy ignition live and put a fuse in line.

The reverse lights may be on canbus - which means that extra power draw might shut the circuit down

Big Andy

RMS Regular
Drives
Peugeot
You need to wire a 4 pin rely or bypass to the camera feed. Every caddy I have fitted to its always the same.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5

Jason

RMS Regular
Think it's just the cover being replaced. Not sure about the wireless part. It's only to help the wife drive it lol

Ant

RMS Regular
i've had a reverse camera sitting to be fitted to mine since i bought the Z4, too lazy to do it, and hadn't even crossed my mind hooking it into the reverse feed would **** about with canbus

def not going to bother trying it myself now.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
20151125_083748.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.