Upgrading Audio in 09 Focus

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

jcoey1

RMS Regular
Hi guys. Looking for some advice if anyone can help.

Have an 09 Focus with the standard 6000CD head unit & factory speakers. I believe these are 2 6.5" in the front doors, 2 tweeters up front & 2 6" in the rear doors.

Basically I'd like to improve the sound quality in the car. Nothing award winning, just a nice noticeable upgrade in quality.

I thought this would be straight forward by just swapping all the speakers for something better but now that I look there's just so much to choose from with crazy differences in price. I have no clue when it comes to this kind of thing, like what the difference is between coaxial & component speakers & which I should be going for.

With regards to a head unit, I would like to change but ideally for one of the bigger ones with sat nav. Although I'm not sure if one would fit. Did come across these which seem pretty much made for my car:

Eonon UK -7 Inch Digital Slide Touch Screen Car DVD Player with Built-in GPS For Ford Mondeo/Focus/S-max (Black) + Wester Europe Map (Upgraded D5161E)D5161ZE

No idea if they are up to much though.

Looking to spend around £500.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Coaxial speakers have the tweeter mounted in from of the main driver

Coaxial-Speaker-RX52PT-.jpg

Where as a component are two separate speakers the main driver and a separate tweeter. You Focus will have components as standard, the main driver at the bottom of the door and the tweeter up by the wing mirror.

You can get an adaptor that will allow you to fit a normal shaped radio

dscn0765wi0_zpsfqixg6si.jpg

These can be bought in either double din like the photo or single din sizes

I would also sound deaden the front doors, it makes such a difference to the sound quality. It also has the added bonus of making the door close with a very quality sounding clunk

jcoey1

RMS Regular
OP
jcoey1
Thanks for the speedy response. I do like the look of that head unit in the dash.
Hopefully get a few recommendations on a decent set up to go for!

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
for £500 you can buy a decent brand double din sat nav - and spend the change on a 1p chew, then save up for the facia adaptor, speakers etc!

There are cheaper brands out there, but I've not seen one I'd want to endorse!

This is a cheaper solution, but I've not fitted any, nor heard any reports on them from anyone I'd trust to give an opinion. Parrot Asteroid Smart Double Din 6.2" Screen, AppRadio, Navigation & Bluetooth | Car Audio Direct

In the focus, there should be a tweeter mounted up near the top of the door - so a component set is best - as this brings the soundstage up nearer yer ears! there are some good co-axial speakers, but because the speaker is normally mounted well off-axis at the bottom of the door, these are pointless as the mid/hi freqencies get lost.

I like hertz, rainbow, focal PS range and pioneer "kevlar" components - all can be had for around £89 - £130 a set.

As Stephen also said, sound deadening is a must with speakers upgrades - you can learn how to apply it properly in the inter-tubes! If using components' then you'll normally have to run new wiring to crossovers - which are usually small enough to stick inside the door card. Budget £30 for decent sound deadening.

All in all, stick to name brands on each component and you should be able to get decent sounds.

:grinning:

Del

jcoey1

RMS Regular
OP
jcoey1
Thanks again for another great response. Much appreciated.
I've certainly got a few things to think about. Like my budget for one! Maybe just switch the speakers to start with & take it from there. Like I say I'm not looking for anything award winning, just a noticeable decent improvement.
Not sure how I'd fair with the sound deadening to be honest, stripping a door down to the metal seems pretty daunting to a novice like myself. Well more the putting back together!

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Aye - door sound deadening certainly can be a pig to do - but if you don't do it, it's like strangling the upgraded audio - it's pointless to spend the cash on speakers, then you won't hear much difference in the head unit - it's a vicious circle. It can be done by a pro for not much dough - possibly £50 a door. Please believe me when I say - it's the BEST upgrade you can make on an audio system.
p.s. I'm not hawking for business - my order books are full for months!!

jcoey1

RMS Regular
OP
jcoey1
£50 a door I could live with. Like you say, may as well do it right or not do it at all.
Will have a look online & see if I can find any guides for my car & then decide if I could handle it. Think I'd probably feel more comfortable just paying someone to do it right though!

jcoey1

RMS Regular
OP
jcoey1
After looking at a few guides for this I've decided its just too much for a complete novice like myself to take on. Think I'd end up making a right mess of it.
So yeah if anyone can recommend someone reliable to do the complete job I'd really appreciate it. Or if there's anyone on here that knows what they are at I've cash waiting!
I've the speakers, sound deadening & cable all here and ready to go. Many thanks.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I'd be happy to, but not home for a month or so, loads of work and play related European travel to do!

Big Andy

RMS Regular
Drives
Peugeot
Pm me and lie shoot you my number. My time is very limited atm so hopefully I can be of some help to you. I would enjoy doing the install for you

jcoey1

RMS Regular
OP
jcoey1
Thread revival. Never did get these fitted as I've been really busy the past couple of months.
If anyone can do the job please get in touch. Would love to get them in before xmas.
Cheers

jcoey1

RMS Regular
OP
jcoey1
@jcoey1 . I'm home from the 18th Dec. Also home this Saturday and might be able to spare the time.
Let me know. I'm in Bangor
Awesome, thank you for the offer. Would be great if you could do the job for me. Just let me know whenever suits and I can make arrangements to drop the car to you. Thanks.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Lol, don't forget about me!!!! :sob:
Paying customers first @Nigelo :p
I've got plenty of time for yours...... Trying to fit Jonny's in this weekend, then I can baff about Bangor in your Racecar over the hollybobs while pretending I need it for a week to fit the gear ;)

Nigelo

RMS Regular
Lol, I have to say, Im not expecting a freebie! A man's got to put food on the table, you know! ! :-D

jcoey1

RMS Regular
OP
jcoey1
Never did get these fitted!
Anyone with the knowledge fancy taking the job on?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.