1999 Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 wagon

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Cheers man. Was going to get spacers but waiting until i get them back and actually measure it out/see how it sits.
Sort the rest of the handling stuff then get it a bit more stretch in its legs.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Ok, so put the maf in and threw everything back on, still not idling smoothly.
Dumpvalve is staying open though when its idling.
I have the battrey disconnected now while i do the rear brake drums.
Anything else i should check if resetting the ecu doesnt work?

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Even though there is no engine light coming on, if i plug it in will it give me any warnings?

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
I haven't at all, how can so many things give the same god damn symptoms!
Cheers for that one, I'll give it a go tomorrow morning, seems to be exactly whats up with it though.

Anyone know how the Dump Valve (its a Forge one) should behave on these?
When the cars at Idle, its sits open....is that normal?

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
DSC_0132.JPG

Running at idle:
DSC_0133.JPG

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Is the small vacumm pipe on the top of the dump valve? Connect the connectors under the steering wheel and turn the ignition on. it has a diagnostic system built in.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
I didn't think so.
I took it off and just covered it with my hand, idled at around 600, bit too low for it.
Need a new dump valve too then.

@scooby stu it is yeah, tried plugging in my odbII reader and it couldnt read it/connect. I'll try that though (y)

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
So, after some digging, it is meant to be open on idle.
God knows why, it will just draw if unfiltered air and other crap.
If I blank it off, are there any side effects? @Gambit did it have any real affect on yours?

Gambit

RMS Regular
Aye just blank it, if anything it'll feel a bit more snappy between gears. I ran mine for years with it blanked won't cause any issue at all on td04 turbo

OBD readers don't work on them (n)

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
I'm surprised at that , didn't think they should open till turbo is boosting and throttle closes. No real experience with them to be fair , I ran the ra DVless

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I'm surprised at that , didn't think they should open till turbo is boosting and throttle closes. No real experience with them to be fair , I ran the ra DVless

It depends on the car. Some DVs are open at idle, some are closed. Depends on it they have a MAF sensor or a MAP sensor from what I've gathered.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
I didnt blank it off no, when i was covering it, it sat at 600 last night fluctuating a tiny bit. Dont know the engines that well so would prefer to just have someone who knows them take a look, i revved it and the dv is behaving as normal. In first and second the same normal noise from it. To call back tomorrow and hopefully get it fitted in this week.

Its looking well though, more than pleased with the wheels and how its sitting.

PicsArt_11-30-02.47.08.jpg

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
The 99-00's don't like aftermarket dump valves, oem all the way on them.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Do you still want these spacers ?

Flip man i forgot all about them. 10mm each side would be too much for the front, would be sticking out with the springs on it, sorry man, should have got back to you.

I plugged the wires underneath together and... Well, i dont really know what i was doing so unplugged them.
The fans are coming on when the ignition is turned on (but not started) and this boyo is clicking away for a good minute or so when turned off. Anyone know what it is?
Feeds into air intake and t piped into the acutator and pipe to intercooler.

DSC_0138.JPG

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The DV absolutely should not be allowing air in at idle. Some do have a shield that lifts though at idle but actual valve is still closed...are you sure the actual valve itself is open and allowing air to pass ?

If the fans are coming on and staying on the ecu has seen a fault.

And above is boost solenoid, generally it should only be clicking above certain running thresholds ( ie under load in order to control boost )

But as the ecu is seeing a fault of some sort, that's maybe leading to it clicking at other times

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.