Mk4 Toyota Supra TT

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
R154 boxes are agricultural but would be the cheapest and easiest to install.
E46 M3 boxes are awful from cold, although that's hardly the end of the world, shifters can be notchy but a double shear selector rod can fix this. I've heard they can be sensitive to mid shifting though, not sure what truth their is in it. 5 speed diesel boxes are as strong and can be picked up for £100-200, although the gear ratios can be a bit weird. Short 1st - 3rd and a long 4th-6th.
300ZX and 350Z gearboxes are also popular conversions and can handle huge power, just ensure to avoid the earlier boxes with weak synchros in the 350z.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
No sense dreaming about what may fit, unless either you or somebody else actually makes products to allow you to fit it to the engine/car.

DIY swaps like that and to get them right are not an easy task. Unless you have good access to machining facilities, or a hell of a lot of patience to fabricate yourself.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
No sense dreaming about what may fit, unless either you or somebody else actually makes products to allow you to fit it to the engine/car.

DIY swaps like that and to get them right are not an easy task. Unless you have good access to machining facilities, or a hell of a lot of patience to fabricate yourself.

All mentioned are common swaps and the kits are available and cover the majority of parts. I wouldn't have bothered suggesting them otherwise.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Jeeps use the AX15 which I believe is an incarnation of the R154, albeit probably not as strong. Would find one in a UK 4.0 Wrangler.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Jeeps use the AX15 which I believe is an incarnation of the R154, albeit probably not as strong. Would find one in a UK 4.0 Wrangler.

Ratios could be different and shifter/tailhousing section is definitely different. But main body certainly looks the same.

Darragh

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra TT6
That conversion for sale in England has the shifter extended already and the front section of prop, all you need to do is mate the two prop shafts (back section off your auto shaft together) then find the peddles, master cylinder and slave cylinder and you would be loving life

Also a speedo converter to convert from cable to electrical , I did have a link somewhere for a company that do it , I'll see if I can find it

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
At the prices being talked about it'd be a lot handier just to sell the auto and buy a manual Supra ? Job done.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Are the engines any different in these between manual and auto ?

We converted a 300 from auto to manual. Such a pain in the hole it really was, don't envy what's infront of you.
Though I'm sure there are guides and such things now, we had a packet of smokes each and a few beers to guide us through the process lol

acsmyth

RMS Regular
OP
acsmyth
Drives
Supra
At the prices being talked about it'd be a lot handier just to sell the auto and buy a manual Supra ? Job done.

Not really. Low mileage manual Supras in the same condition as mine are selling for £17-19K

As mentioned above, those alternative BMW gearboxes all have conversion kits ready to go. No machining involved. Conversions can be done for £3-5K or less easily enough.

Last edited:

Hairyfella

RMS Member
Drives
Single supra
Have you stil got them jade r,s i think they are that your taking off the car. Seen this yoke advertised clean motor seen it a few times in the flesh in belfast

Hairyfella

RMS Member
Drives
Single supra
I have a single turbo bought 700 bhp. Animal home wednesday hooefully love them wheels thats a clean one u bought as i said i have seen it before need a suora meet to get a look at wat everybidy else has done

Hairyfella

RMS Member
Drives
Single supra
Was on the whiftbitz site this morn they were foun on about the 7 soeed box with oaddle gear shift looks sweet. They seem to have it mastered u shud look into it.

acsmyth

RMS Regular
OP
acsmyth
Drives
Supra
7 speed DCT box..never even thought of that!

Would be unreal, but looks incredibly pricey, probably looking £8-10K all on for parts and labour.

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
My mate converted his uk auto to the 6 speed box. If you want any pointers i can put you in contact with him. Cost him £3300 for box etc and done labour himself.