Antifreeze/coolant smell

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gsmith

RMS Regular
as title getting the smell when the blowers are on and more at idle when moving there seems to be no smell. Only when blowers are on. Carpets are bone dry and car isn't using coolant 08 focus st. Have been told it could be the heater matrix?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Definitely not losing coolant? Seems almost impossible that there would be a coolant smell and no loss unless of course someone has spilt a bottle of it over the engine or something or its leaking very very very slowly.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
I had a small leak at my waterpump and it stank. It was losing that little that it was near impossible to notice. One drop of coolant on a hot engine smells like loads.

gsmith

RMS Regular
OP
gsmith
Lol. Know all about the block issues block mod kit stops it from happening which is on my todo list. But fairly sure it's not the cause as would be losing coolant that's usually the first sign most of the guys get. %100 no coolant loss I've been checking it daily. Car isn't really used much but the coolant level hasn't moved. have checked all the usual st sites about the smell but very little to suggest it's a common thing going to ring a couple of ford garages tomorrow to see if they have had any with the same issue and hopefully get it up on the ramp and check for any leaks. Only when the blowers on so its clearly drawing it in from somewhere.

gsmith

RMS Regular
OP
gsmith
Funny someone had mentioned the water pump could be the cause that would all be changed in the block mod looking like I could be doing it sooner than I planned.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
I get this in my CC never uses any coolant....... and had the same in the Fiesta again no coolant loss......... Perhaps it's not the car and it's me like smelling burning feathers :confounded:8-(:relieved:

Mackers91

RMS Regular
Could be your pollen filter mate. Mine was doing this a while back thought I'll check the simple stuff first, changed the pollen filter and boom smell gone.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.