2016 Speed Triple R... Updated 22/06/16

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

migs

RMS Regular
So after selling my Z1000 I was on the lookout for a new bike, S1000r was the obvious candidate but after a few issues trying to insure it I had to look elsewhere. 28yo with 6 years NCB I was able to insure almost anything in the naked 1000 category for in and around the £200 mark, the S1000r was £600 with a huge excess. It wasn't the cost... more the fact of the matter, I was just begrudging paying it.

So after many a night watching online reviews and taking a few test rides, I've ended up with this...

The new Triumph Speed Triple R. I have to say only 250 miles in I absolutely love it. Unbelievable torque from the 3 cylinder engine, with about 140bhp and it turns on a six pence. Patiently waiting on exhausts and tail tidys to become available which I think will transform the bike.

The missus also picked up a new MSX125 after passing her CBT a few weeks ago, I had originally bought her a Honda 90 as a wedding present but after taking to a geared bike like a duck to water she decided she wanted one of these lol

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I would also like an S1000r but 2 issues, I begrudge buying a new bike at £11000 and I remember the insurance was a lot more than the £90 I pay for my GSXR1000, when I asked why they said its a high performance bike!!!!! Eh..............a GSXR1000 isn't?!?!??

I just bought an old Tiger1050 as well as, probably works out cheaper than one S1000r, I still want one though.

I test rode McAllens demo Speed Triple R before it was even registered, really impressive, lighter feeling on the road than the old one and much more responsive. 2 things I could not live with are the standard suspension settings though it was maybe just very stiff as it was brand new and I would NEED some sort of a screen as over 70mph is unpleasant and this bike loves going much faster than 70mph!!!

Good choice, cracking bike.

The Yamaha MT10 is out soon..............................

genman

G
congrats to both of you on your new bikes.
Sporty nakeds are hard to beat for real world fun.
Dont expect those tyres to last long

migs

RMS Regular
OP
migs
I would also like an S1000r but 2 issues, I begrudge buying a new bike at £11000 and I remember the insurance was a lot more than the £90 I pay for my GSXR1000, when I asked why they said its a high performance bike!!!!! Eh..............a GSXR1000 isn't?!?!??

I just bought an old Tiger1050 as well as, probably works out cheaper than one S1000r, I still want one though.

I test rode McAllens demo Speed Triple R before it was even registered, really impressive, lighter feeling on the road than the old one and much more responsive. 2 things I could not live with are the standard suspension settings though it was maybe just very stiff as it was brand new and I would NEED some sort of a screen as over 70mph is unpleasant and this bike loves going much faster than 70mph!!!

Good choice, cracking bike.

The Yamaha MT10 is out soon..............................

I remember reading somewhere it had something to do with the alarm on the S1000r not being Thatcham approved but that could be nonsense! I actually find the suspension the biggest improvement over my Z1000 surprisingly... The fact that it is also fully adjustable helps too. I agree with the lack of protection, we came up over the Glenshane pass yday and certainly anything over 70mph was hard work! I can live with that tho!

Those triple R's are some piece of kit!!

What you planning on doing with the 90 now? :relieved::relieved:

I told the wife we could sell it and put it towards her MSX but as it was her wedding present she's having none of it lol I would sell it in a heartbeat but you know what women are like lol Back in the shed it goes...

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
Fantastic bit of kit there

Had the previous generation 15th anniversary model in an earlier life, absolutely loved it

Great fun at (reasonably!) sensible speeds

migs

RMS Regular
OP
migs
So I've got round to fitting an evotech tail tidy and competition werkes exhaust. This really transforms the look of the bike and with those huge tail cans gone, weight and centre of gravity are significantly reduced! A few subtle bits painted black and I'm almost where I want to be with the bike... A few bits of carbon to tie in with the front mud guard and that will be here pretty much complete...

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
Great mods

I couldn't wait to get shot of the twin cans when I had mine, they make the bike look so tail heavy

Really looks the part, Congrats!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.