Potholes in new development. Who to contact?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
So basically I have been living in a new development for the last 3 years. There is still some work going on but my street has never had a proper road surface laid. The temporary surface is starting to disintegrate in places and it's only a matter of time before I wreck a tyre or alloy on the surface. The developers have been contacted on numerous occasions and I keep getting fobbed off and told it will be fixed soon but now a year has passed from my first complaint and nothing has been done.

Is there any way I can get this fixed or any health and safety legislation that would force the developer in to sorting this properly? Unfortunately road service have nothing to do with it as they haven't adopted the road yet.

Here's a couple of pics of what I'm contending with.

Cheers

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Sadly there's nothing much you can do if the Developer hasn't finished the roads, Roads Service (or Transport NI) as they're now known, won't adopt the roads until they're top coated and the drainage has all been surveyed, street lighting checked and passed as satisfactory.

The only options are really to club together with all the residents and tackle the developer, use your residents committee if there is one.

The developer should have paid a bond to Roads Service before they commenced construction, which is taken out in case the developer goes bust before finishing the roads and drainage. Migjt be worth checking if there is one, and whether Roads Service would consider putting pressure on the developer to finish the roads or they will use the bond to do it themselves. Unlikely though.

Is the development finished, or are there any other houses or phases to complete?

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
I was in the same position up until last year when our roads finally got re surfaced. I tortured my local councillor every couple of months. That seemed to push things a bit.

It took 8 years for them to finish the road!

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
It's down to the developer on this one. I'd be pushing the management company aswell if there is one. Just be really annoying until they give in.

Roads service will do nothing until the road is adopted.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I hear you can buy damaged alloys for small money. The threat of a claim for one with associated suspension damage would certainly urge them on or if a member of your family were to trip and get injured...

Not that I condone doing anything illegal at all.

dannyfawcett

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3, 1.6 hat
they wont do the roads until pretty much all the houses are built and the lorries/diggers dont have to travel them anymore

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
Fill it in with soil and put some plants in it.

untitled.png

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Thanks for the advice guys. I have asked them about the bond with Transport NI and also sent an email to management company to see if it can push things forward.

It is a huge development and is almost finished but even the later phases have their roads surfaced and half of my street was done 3 years ago then they kinda forgot to do the rest it appears.

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
Don't pay a penny to the management company until it's sorted?

Nothing to do with the management Company. until the lands have been passed over it is the developers responsibility, then it would be the roads service's if adopted.

But yeh sure go ahead advise someone to break a lease agreement!

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Nothing to do with the management Company. until the lands have been passed over it is the developers responsibility, then it would be the roads service's if adopted.

But yeh sure go ahead advise someone to break a lease agreement!
Well if it's the developers responsibility what are the service fees for?

Im just saying that's what I would do. Im not condoning anything that might affect yiour finances. But it might shake the developer up a bit!!

thomas_lad

RMS Regular
Well if it's the developers responsibility what are the service fees for?

Im just saying that's what I would do. Im not condoning anything that might affect yiour finances. But it might shake the developer up a bit!!

Service fee's (who they pay to the managment agent, not the developer) are for things that they should be paying for. the owners (Stu in this instance) shouldnt have to use their funds/pot of money to repair a road that the developer should be keeping in good nic until it is handed over. the 2 factors (Stu paying his fee's to the agent + the developer fixing the road) have no direct association.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I was in the same position up until last year when our roads finally got re surfaced. I tortured my local councillor every couple of months. That seemed to push things a bit.

It took 8 years for them to finish the road!
This is what I did. We bought in the first phase and the paths and roads around us were in bits. Our phase was finished and I think phase 3 was underway at this stage. I used the Writetothem website and contacted our councillors. 2 contacted me back, and one of those came to the development to see the roads for themselves. Shortly afterwards the builder finished off the roads and paths, whether that was something to do with the councillors or not, I'm not sure. I would advise to try this route first.

As @thomas_lad says above, the management company won't have any sway in this so withholding funds from them will serve no benefit.

Marc

RMS Moderator
This is what I did. We bought in the first phase and the paths and roads around us were in bits. Our phase was finished and I think phase 3 was underway at this stage. I used the Writetothem website and contacted our councillors. 2 contacted me back, and one of those came to the development to see the roads for themselves. Shortly afterwards the builder finished off the roads and paths, whether that was something to do with the councillors or not, I'm not sure. I would advise to try this route first.

As @thomas_lad says above, the management company won't have any sway in this so withholding funds from them will serve no benefit.

Is that the roads finished? The pot holes in them already near the manholes is shocking!!

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
No, it was just the builder improving the roads, they still need to do more before our phase is adopted by the DoE. (e.g. lights and their junctioning, manholes, some sewer work) It was mentioned in passing at the last management company meeting.

Marc

RMS Moderator
No, it was just the builder improving the roads, they still need to do more before our phase is adopted by the DoE. (e.g. lights and their junctioning, manholes, some sewer work) It was mentioned in passing at the last management company meeting.

Phew! Thank goodness for that! I was hoping that was not the fully finished road surface! Will teach me to miss the management meeting.. Oops

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.