Potential RMS Beginners Trackway : 8th June 1pm onwards. I

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

geraldo-46

RMS Regular
Drives
Gsxr1000
i'm hoping theres a chance of 1 of these a month...I won't do the Sunday ones based on a few scare stories of riders who think its their track to do what they want.

The Sunday ones dead on as well I've never had an issue. Tho sometimes you end up getting fast boys in the greens which makes closing speeds a bit hairy lol

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
ay iv done a few sunday ones and they are fine but the problem is as said you always get a few heroes dropping a group to make themselves feel fast... the midweek ones do seem a lot more relaxed with less riders out at a time.

genman

G
A mate is interested in a trackday . Just got his first sports bike having been mainly on supermoto style bikes apart from his dad's vfr or a mates R6.
I just like the relaxed feel of the mid week...zero expectations and as said lots of free space on track

yvo6

RMS Regular
The weather was good for it anyway. You are all now doomed.. doomed i say!

Much safer riding on a circuit than an open road.

For newcomers to trackdaying, its a great way to enjoy the bike without any pressure of watching for nobs pulling out of side roads in front of you.

yvo6

RMS Regular
@da-mruph I know it would be a bit soon but if you had one during the first week in July i would be interested.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Only realising how early my shift light is set lol

Need to get my brakes sorted before the next 1

I missed this one.

I watched your video with interest, you run about the same pace as me on the same bike. There are a few things I noticed though, I only use 3rd and 4th where you are using 2nd, I can't use 2nd as the bike wheelies too much and even in 3rd it has spun up on me a few times coming out of the hairpin and fishermans, everything else about your lines and speeds are about the same as me. I run Pilot power 3's.

I did buy a GoPro for trackdays but used it once on the road and decided to sell it afterwards as the footage would have got me in trouble and I do so few trackdays it was not worth having.

I would love to get to the next one.

geraldo-46

RMS Regular
Drives
Gsxr1000
I've a bigger rear tyre on which over gears the bike when i set the 190 50 17 bstone beside the 190 55 17 Dunlop the Dunlop is far bigger im probs going a bit quicker than what is says on the speedo . I've just ordered 16tooth front sprocket to gear it down abit tho because i feel like im dropping out of the power band even in 2nd.
I find if you stay hung off the bike on exit and keep a bit of lean angle it doesn't wheelie as much. Its braking and corner entry i need to sort out

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I'm a lightweight with a 16t front sprocket, I think I've seen 176mph coming down the Kirkistown straight. 2nd gear is great but no use at Kirkistown!

genman

G
can't compare the Pilot Power 3 to Dunlop 212 with warmers..PP3 is a road tyre that is sporty, 212 is a track tyre thats road legal....Also I spoke to G at the track and he has a tweaked engine to smooth out the power delivery so non of the 10k+ surge the stock fueling gives..nicely done job as well and looks to just pull hard from about 5k..
I ran the older D211 on back of my Ape and the grip is great after the first few laps...super sticky but got pretty torn up as i had the wrong pressure in it...way too high...i now know they run low to mid 20's psi hot...i had mine mid 20's cold....i'll know better next time.
Not sure the GSXR around there with a 16t front would be a nice bike...track just has too many ripples and humps to kick up the front but the added 5 or 6 mm wheelbase if you keep the same chain also helps reduce wheelies...however you might not feel as nimble in the tight turns.

genman

G
I'm a lightweight with a 16t front sprocket, I think I've seen 176mph coming down the Kirkistown straight. 2nd gear is great but no use at Kirkistown!
thats quitck even allowing for the speedo being off buy 10mph just on the gearing change...probably a real speed of mid to high 150's since Suzuki are never good at speedo accuracy by about 8% too high.
My Ape hit an indicated 145 and the GPS on my phone showed 142 was my max that day but i know the GSXR is the faster bike regardless of what magazine tests say...I had the L5 model before the Ape and in a straight line its way quicker after 130

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
thats quitck even allowing for the speedo being off buy 10mph just on the gearing change...probably a real speed of mid to high 150's since Suzuki are never good at speedo accuracy by about 8% too high.
My Ape hit an indicated 145 and the GPS on my phone showed 142 was my max that day but i know the GSXR is the faster bike regardless of what magazine tests say...I had the L5 model before the Ape and in a straight line its way quicker after 130
I know that I would not want a faster bike for the road or the track that's for sure.

I only do one trackday a year or so as I believe that I would only push on and on until it crossed the limit so getting the bike better suited for track work is not the way I want it.

genman

G
Another added bonus of using the 55 profile is that it lifts the rear and adds a little extra weight on the front so less easy to lift the front ... that day I'd just changed from a 200 / 55 to the 190 / 55 and the front wasnt as stable and the rear just felt low and steered slower.
Next tyre change try the 55

geraldo-46

RMS Regular
Drives
Gsxr1000
I can tell you 2 big differences between the Rosso corsa's and the Dunlop's I've run at Trackdays the Dunlop's have far more grip coming of the corner and the pirelli's handle the bumps far better esp turning into deptors they are very stable. Maybe ran too much psi in the front Dunlop. Anyways roll on the next one

genman

G
He's working on it ... busy season so I guess finding a slot isn't that easy...lots of car days to fit around as well

Ryan L

RMS Regular
Drives
SV650 minitwin
Good stuff, I haven't been out since the RMS day so really looking forward to it. Weather's looking good too (everything crossed!)

genman

G
Hope we get a repeat this year.... wouldn't mind a few outings this year just to have a laugh since neither bike is ideal for the track.... it's all just for fun anyway.

da.murf

RMS Regular
OP
da.murf
Drives
Nissan 350z
If there was interest guys would be maybe open to organising another. Not sure if we could link up with the other ones I do again due to numbers.

Maybe one in May?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.