Commuting

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

BirchesBiker

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW R1200RS
Yesterday i mentioned about commuting to work so today i put my money where my mouth was and was out on the bike first thing this morning travelling to work in belfast. The whole thing was even more enjoyable than I expected and I got to work in half the time.

genman

G
Once you get over the initial ' I feel vulnerable' ...Only the weather and finding a secure parking spot can spoil using a bike for the work commute.
Me ... i'm just lazy mixed with nowhere anymore to fit my bike gear into once at work...armoured kit doesn't really like being forced into a small locker.

BirchesBiker

RMS Regular
OP
BirchesBiker
Drives
BMW R1200RS
Yeah I know what you mean about feeling vulnerable - there is something very uneasy about being on 2 wheels in heavy traffic, especially with people moving from lane to lane without indicating but for the most part it was a breeze. Something I will be doing again and again. It's cheaper than the train for me and took half the time and no need to pay for parking. Plus I'm glad to see a few miles going onto the bike as I am not using it as much as I would like. The parking was fairly easy around Belfast down by the courts (must be 20 bikes in that basic area today plus another 10 close by at Victoria square). Perhaps I'm lucky because I have plenty of room to store my kit in work but I would say give it a go if you possibly can.

J_Mc_G

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza STi / ZX
Been commutting to work for 20yrs now, on a ZX6R atm. Free secure parking underground at work and down the bus lanes make it a no brainer. This is all year round as long as I can get it down my hill with the snow to the main road :grinning: If you keep at it you'll learn where and when to be to maximise the ability of a bike in traffic and legally filter which is a buzz. Timing your filtering to glide through the lights as they turn green and sail off (to the next junction) is quite satisfying. Currently using RST textiles, heated grips (which do fuc all in the winter when its really cold).

Watch out for diesel, easy spotted in the rain, impossible in the dry unless its quite recent and you can smell it. The negative of using the bus lanes as they must have sieves for fuel tanks.

BirchesBiker

RMS Regular
OP
BirchesBiker
Drives
BMW R1200RS
I actually never thought about using the bus lanes. Can motorbikes use them all the time

fabiostar

RMS Regular
Drives
i use the bike everyday for work unless its snowing , its easier than sitting in traffic jams and a bit of fun at the same time,

BirchesBiker

RMS Regular
OP
BirchesBiker
Drives
BMW R1200RS
Day 2 of commuting. A lot busier than Friday on the m1 but made the journey in pretty much the same time. I think unless its bucketing down this will be my new method to get to work. I didn't quite appreciate that my textiles only stay waterproof for a set amount of time and it's been a while since I used them. Was pretty soaked going home on Friday.

J_Mc_G

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza STi / ZX
Get a decent oversuit. Also, wear your textiles over your gloves, saves your hands filling up with water :grinning:

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
Its for this very reason that im learning to ride, no work car parking and ability to use the bus lanes is a huge benefit.

Evoarrow

RMS Regular
I commute on the bike, only had one accident in about 3 years, not my fault, I got rear ended. I am a bit back to front though, I don't commute on the bike as much in the summer months. Traffic during this time is usually a little lighter. As much as I like the bike, the main reason I starting commuting on it, was to get through the traffic. Winter, dark mornings etc, the M1 is a car park. Filtering isn't much fun in winter or when there is sleet or snow. But, the commute takes less time.
Use away at the bus lanes, just watch for people turning into the bus lane, it happens all the time and rarely indicate.

BirchesBiker

RMS Regular
OP
BirchesBiker
Drives
BMW R1200RS
That is back to front but does make sense. Perhaps i'll see you filtering down the m1 some morning

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
just be careful on the M1 ... you are guaranteed at least a scare once a week with someone not noticing you or just does not like bikes ... traffic a lot lighter this time of year so you will see a massive difference come sept 16

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
commuting for me is a no brainer. In work in 12mins and home about 20mins. Had 1 scare and 1 thump (not my fault) so have since invested in a helmet cam.

Ryan L

RMS Regular
Drives
SV650 minitwin
Might give the commuting a go during the summer months.

I've heard Adelaide Exchange was/is free for bikes in Belfast, anybody here use it?

BirchesBiker

RMS Regular
OP
BirchesBiker
Drives
BMW R1200RS
Yeah it's free. Also some dedicated parking behind the clayton hotel, the courts and opposite st George market. How do you find the GSXR. I did own the 600 back about 6 years ago and liked it but sold because I wasn't getting the use. I'm actually currently thinking about buying the gsxr750 as a second bike if I can get a good deal just so it has a little more mid range power.

Ryan L

RMS Regular
Drives
SV650 minitwin
Cheers. I really like the GSXR, had it out on track earlier in the month and it handled well. Barely got it out of 4th which was a big change to the SV, although I do prefer the twin's power delivery if I'm honest.

I think Lappintyre on here has a 750.

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
Near got killed on a bike whilst commuting

Other road users at that time of the morning or afternoon are just brain-dead morons, going through the motions, not paying attention

But like any type of biking, you takes your chance and hope its all good!

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
I plan on my bike being lit up like a christmas tree and noisy to help with the task

BirchesBiker

RMS Regular
OP
BirchesBiker
Drives
BMW R1200RS
Yeah so far so good for me. Some car users are overly friendly. Others completely blind. I just filter with caution and try and remain as visible as possible.

Stevie78

RMS Member
Drives
2001 Bandit 600
I bought a cheap bike camera a few weeks ago, and the amount of idiots I've caught in that time is scary.
Here is a video I put together.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.