Cairncastle hillclimb - Incar GoPro

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PhilM

RMS Regular

Video of one of my runs, the council had tarred/gravelled the roads so made it nigh impossible to gain or carry speed as you would like. - still my wheel sit well inside my arches so I didn't suffer the paint work damage that some did!

Day started sunny on Friday but with clouds looming

Then rained

But cleared well for a very enjoyable event indeed

Finally back home safe to the garage - car did me proud. 10 hard runs up the mountain in 2 days and an hour commute there and back each day without any issues

Phil

PhilM

RMS Regular
OP
PhilM
Ps for decent non camera phone pics we will have to wait on @davecoupe !!
He has a reputation of taking some special shots at this hillclimb

Phil

PhilM

RMS Regular
OP
PhilM
Wheel arches, under floor, lower sides, wheels....you name it, whole bloody car has been partially shot blasted. And on the top side, tar/stones everywhere too !

Bloody raging.

It was quite ridiculous I didn't even take my full amount of runs on sat. The road was too cut up - my times weren't getting any faster, and I was fed up listening to the underside been tar blasted

Phil

Jaystar77

RMS Regular
East County Down, Loaded up and Truckin'...
Drives
Starlet GT Turbo
There's a few arch liners lying here if you want them Phil, sounds like yours took a hammering. When you're changing them make sure to inspect the brake lines too in case, only takes one stone to hit the wrong spot.

Looked like a fast run despite the surface!

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
Looks a brilliant piece of road for that though sounds rough on the car! Maybe install a short shifter @PhilM :p

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
car seems to go rightly Phil whats the specs ? That road looks good crack also

PhilM

RMS Regular
OP
PhilM
Looks a brilliant piece of road for that though sounds rough on the car! Maybe install a short shifter @PhilM :p

Haha, busy at the gearbox these days lol not sure if ill stretch to a short shifter lol

Cheers @Lee A usual specs. you still down in p'vogie? must call down and see the Vtec.

Phil

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
Yea mate still in Vogie, give me a shout next time you're down. Cars on axle stands in the garage so not much vtec at the minute

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Bit of bodywork, wheel and suspension damage too. Although all things considered very light. I'm more annoyed at the shot blasting than the spin damage !

56oval

RMS Regular
It looks like an epic course aside from the poor surface, very long and looks to be very fast too. I really need to get out and go and watch one of these hillclimbs, give me a shout when you know the next one you guys will be attending and ill bring the bus down and make tea for you all. :p

zafturbo

RMS Regular
The road the two weeks previous to the event was absolutely shocking TBH.seems this is the way there resurfacing the roads now to cut down on costs .It broke my heart every day driving up and down it .When a car came the other way I stopped every time only to be smashed up by little bits of dashing.Idiots were still driving up and down it at 50-60 mph ,I was furious more times than enough .

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The road should never have been touched. Apparently contractors couldnt do the road they wanted...so just decide off their own bat to do that one instead.

But the road was also supposed to have been heavily swept and vacuumed to remove all the stones etc prior to the event. IMO it was not. Road got even worse on the Saturday in warmer weather as the soft tar on top of the road started to melt in places.

I'd say average speed for my best run would be around 68mph, highest just touching 103mph in a couple of spots.

Average speed of some of the fastest saloon cars probably a little over 75mph. Not hanging about by any means. It is a great road.

Next hillclimb is Garron Point, 13 August, it's a cracker.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
The road should never have been touched. Apparently contractors couldnt do the road they wanted...so just decide off their own bat to do that one instead.

But the road was also supposed to have been heavily swept and vacuumed to remove all the stones etc prior to the event. IMO it was not. Road got even worse on the Saturday in warmer weather as the soft tar on top of the road started to melt in places.

I'd say average speed for my best run would be around 68mph, highest just touching 103mph in a couple of spots.

Average speed of some of the fastest saloon cars probably a little over 75mph. Not hanging about by any means. It is a great road.

Next hillclimb is Garron Point, 13 August, it's a cracker.
The road was a total disgrace and personally I don't think the event should have been run.Just out of interest stevie what is your quickest time up the hill previously .I wasn't aware that you owned the Granada .not the most agile car to be taking up a hillclimb.What engine do you run in it as it really can go when it's not spinning the back wheels lol. I have not done it myself for around 7 years now due to not having anything but have been thinking about the road going class quite a lot recently as it has become quite popular as of late .The only thing I have against the class is some of the machinery running against you is laughable being not even close to standard spec .

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
I wouldn't mind bit more info about the climbs too. Looks brilliant craic without huge budgets

zafturbo

RMS Regular
I wouldn't mind bit more info about the climbs too. Looks brilliant craic without huge budgets
I could sell you a nice wee 205 mi16 ready for you to start getting you involved in hillclimbs lol.great starter car for something like this .

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
I could sell you a nice wee 205 mi16 ready for you to start getting you involved in hillclimbs lol.great starter car for something like this .

I've my civic turbo sitting here which I'm building towards racing or hillclimbs/sprints next year(y) only doing trackdays for this year.

PhilM

RMS Regular
OP
PhilM
have been thinking about the road going class quite a lot recently as it has become quite popular as of late .The only thing I have against the class is some of the machinery running against you is laughable being not even close to standard spec .

Think you just have to aim inside the regs and be fairly relaxed about everything. It's a nice class cause everyone is very dead on and helpful.

What sort of motor would you think of running?

Phil

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.