Super Car Sunday 2016 (oyster festival)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PhilGT_2008

RMS Regular
I see they have posted confirmed change to venue. Anyone know what the plan is? Chat some months ago about the Eikon if they want to keep it near Lisburn, otherwise unless road closure order is now on the table I can't see where else in Lisburn there is if they want to solve the current issues (Sunday drivers, continued increase in traffic and spectators etc). As a driver doing runs for a number of years keen to know what the change is.

Mark King

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
I see they have posted confirmed change to venue. Anyone know what the plan is? Chat some months ago about the Eikon if they want to keep it near Lisburn, otherwise unless road closure order is now on the table I can't see where else in Lisburn there is if they want to solve the current issues (Sunday drivers, continued increase in traffic and spectators etc). As a driver doing runs for a number of years keen to know what the change is.
Does it say when it is?

PhilGT_2008

RMS Regular
OP
P
Their FB post I can assume must have been a mistake. In fairness it is normally September so the above must be right.

BrookST

RMS Regular
Drives
Monaro VXR
Just a thought - would be good to hold the auction in the Titanic Exhibition Centre where the cars would be loaded / unloaded with passengers, have a route around the Titanic Quarter using a straight for a quick blast. Ditch the Hillsborough connection!

mcma1

RMS Regular
Drives
A Bull
It's part of the festival of speed now I think...

mcma1

RMS Regular
Drives
A Bull
You can see it in their map.....

C9E2F41D-D8B4-4068-88BA-B0A1E06CC318_zpsqrmnj5jh.png

PhilGT_2008

RMS Regular
OP
P
From FB

SUPERCAR DREAM RIDES MOVES TO NI SPEED WEEKEND
The Northern Ireland Speed Weekend is delighted to announce the official launch of the Supercar Dream Rides event in association with the Hillsborough International Oyster Festival. This crowd-favourite flashy-car event will take place during the Northern Ireland Speed Weekend on Sunday 28th and Monday 29th August 2016 at the Eikon Complex, Balmoral Park, Lisburn.

During the August bank holiday weekend, car fanatics will have the chance to go for a cruise in some of the most exotic and exclusive cars available in the grounds of Maze Long Kesh.
Supercar Dream Rides Committee member, Plum Tyndall, said: “With the increasing popularity of Supercar Dream Rides over the years in the Festival’s programme, it has out-grown its former site at Sprucefield. This year the event will benefit from the input of co-hosts NI Speed Weekend and the excellent new space at the Eikon Complex.
A new route has also been confirmed. We are delighted to announce that the route will take place through Maze Long Kesh. This fantastic venue will give the Supercars new stomping ground over a specially designed route.”

Petrol heads can look forward to browsing and even taking a ride in the passenger seat of a selection of eye-catching automobiles that will include super cars, sports cars, classic and vintage models. As the event has moved to a bigger location on private land, the organisers are excited to announce that rally cars, racing vehicles and drift cars will also be present during the weekend for viewing and demonstrations.
Proceeds from Supercar Dream Rides will be donated to the Oyster Festival’s 2016 charity, the Cystic Fibrosis Trust.
Tickets for NI Speed Weekend cost £10 when pre-booked online, or £12.50 at the gate, and all under 12s will receive free admission. Ticket price includes entry to both the Supercar Dream Ride Paddock and the NI Speed Weekend.

To keep up-to-date with the latest news on NI Speed Weekend and the Supercar Dream Rides event visit www.speedweekendni.com or follow the event on Facebook .
@speedweekendni @supercardreamrides

The official Hillsborough International Oyster Festival programme runs from Tuesday 30th August to Saturday 3rd September 2016. For further information on the Festival visit www.hillsboroughoysterfestival.com

Ends.

For media enquiries on the NI Speed Weekend contact Aaron Mitchell, Supernova Event Management Limited. Tel: 07545788159. Email: aaron@supernovaevents.net
For media enquiries on the Hillsborough International Oyster Festival contact Julie McCabe or Jessica Folk at Massive PR on 028 9024 0250.

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
Maybe I'm just being fussy, but I think moving to the speed weekend will ruin the supercars experience. There's just too much going on at the speed weekend, and it doesn't really have the grounds for super cars (in my humble opinion), but more suitable for rally cars and the drifters. The crowds drawn in for supercars at Sprucefield and Hillsborough were there for the sights and sounds, as well as the experience. I don't think it will have the same buzz in the Maze complex, when passenger rides can be taken in a lunatic driven sideways blast in a rally car. I might be wrong though.

56oval

RMS Regular
If they get the use of the two way straight outside of the perimiter fence then people could be in for a real treat, perfect tarmac and easily 1/4 mile long with no other traffic to contend with. Trouble is that road belongs to Stormont and getting permission could be tricky. Inside the venue the most straightline area they have is 650 feet.

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
If they get the use of the two way straight outside of the perimiter fence then people could be in for a real treat, perfect tarmac and easily 1/4 mile long with no other traffic to contend with. Trouble is that road belongs to Stormont and getting permission could be tricky. Inside the venue the most straightline area they have is 650 feet.
Can't see them closing the road by Florence Court Ben. Cracking idea though!

56oval

RMS Regular
Can't see them closing the road by Florence Court Ben. Cracking idea though!

Ive done site surveys to death up there, that outer straight that runs between the towers is just awesome, i'd say the Hillsborough connection coupled with " Supercars " would have a zillion times more clout than i could ever muster. Weve done a single lane 660 ft sprint there a couple of times, not the most ideal place for supercar sunday to be fair but then again where is? Rock and a hard place.

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
650Ft straight to include braking distance?? Cars wont be able to get opened up at all. Not much fun for owners or paying customers :worried:

56oval

RMS Regular
image.jpg
650Ft straight to include braking distance?? Cars wont be able to get opened up at all. Not much fun for owners or paying customers :worried:

The purple section earmarked " Dragstrip " is 1/8 mile ( 660ft ) there is stopping distance on top of that ( just ) its tight. We were running up to a hair over 100 mph in some cars there, the portacabins to the right at the end of the strip we thought were moveable elements of the site, turns out they arent and that puts you right in the firing line. There are other roads out and around the site, from the security entrance to the exhibition centre for instance, no doubt some decent speed could be got out there. The area marked " sprint track imo is totally out of the question unless you want to go full dixie horns blaring dukes of hazard style stunt jumps at the intersection ( big bump )
Problem is you guys are guessing ( like me ) as to how they will run it, and when you're putting your pride and joy at risk for charity there should be some simple clarity as to how it will run, the organisers should have all that relevant detail nailed down for prospective drivers.

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
View attachment 121275

The purple section earmarked " Dragstrip " is 1/8 mile ( 660ft ) there is stopping distance on top of that ( just ) its tight. We were running up to a hair over 100 mph in some cars there, the portacabins to the right at the end of the strip we thought were moveable elements of the site, turns out they arent and that puts you right in the firing line. There are other roads out and around the site, from the security entrance to the exhibition centre for instance, no doubt some decent speed could be got out there. The area marked " sprint track imo is totally out of the question unless you want to go full dixie horns blaring dukes of hazard style stunt jumps at the intersection ( big bump )
Problem is you guys are guessing ( like me ) as to how they will run it, and when you're putting your pride and joy at risk for charity there should be some simple clarity as to how it will run, the organisers should have all that relevant detail nailed down for prospective drivers.
Agreed

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
At the same time its probably a wise move to take it off the public road before some other road user swerving all over the road as theyre distracted by the cars wiped out someone doing a run.

As has been pointed out there is nowhere perfect for this type of thing, but I think this is better than a 50 and nsl busy road personally!

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Those partacabins being there is awful. I'd have thought they could have been moved myself ?

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
At the same time its probably a wise move to take it off the public road before some other road user swerving all over the road as theyre distracted by the cars wiped out someone doing a run.

As has been pointed out there is nowhere perfect for this type of thing, but I think this is better than a 50 and nsl busy road personally!
To be fair the guys weren't driving like it was a getaway. The sprints from roundabout to roundabout at sprucefield under the bridge was the only place the drivers could open up, and that was only in short bursts.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Didnt say they were! Just that the other road users were the potential issue.

mcma1

RMS Regular
Drives
A Bull
Insurance? I remember the explanation that before on private roads everything was above board with you policy. This would change things?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.