06 Mondeo ST TDCI things to look out for?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Pug Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
RS 2 feet
hey,

I know a few of the members on here have had Mondeo ST's and was just looking for a few pointers before i view one tommorrow.

its an 06 with 69k full ford service history. Does anyone know of common faults? and things to watch out for on the mk3 mondeo?

Many thanks in advance,

(y)

MTKelly

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 5
From honestjohn.co.uk

What to Watch Out For

WARNING An engine rattle from 4 - 10 year old 1.8i and 2.0i petrol engines might indicate wearing of the shaft of the injection air inlet manifold flaps. If the shaft breaks and the flaps come off they are then ingested by the engine, wrecking it. This is beoming increasingly common. Also affects 1.8i engines. See www.fordmondeo.org/forum/showtopic.php?tid/777251

Two reports of timing chain tensioner rattles on 2001MY 2.0 litre petrol engines, fixed under warranty.

Several Complaints of wind noise from front and rear door seals. Reports in 2008 of water leaks through lower front door seals.

TDCI 130bhp engine may suffer from starting problems and uneven idling, may misfire between 1,800 and 2,000rpm, may sometimes cut out and may not be particularly economical with 42.5 mpg fairly typical. Partially cured by a an ECU software download, but head and injectors have also been modified on later cars.
Also reports of the TDCI smoking and of high oil consumption, which may be turbo oil seals.

Reports of problems with camshaft position sensors of TDCI 130s. Spate of clutch and dual-mass flywheel failures on 2003 built 2004 model year TDCIs. Starting problems with diesel may be due to impending clutch failure. Iron filings from failing dual mass flywheels can get into the starter motor and cause starting problems. 13/10/07 Voluntary Recall letter to some owners of TDDIs and TDCIs to replace faulty dual mass flywheels. Ford will sometimes contribute to the very high replacement costs of dual mass flywheels and clutches if the car has done less than 45,000 miles. On diesels used as taxis, DMFs and clutches typically last 30,000 - 40,000 miles.

TDCI injectors seem to be very fuel sensitive. Many have needed to be replaced after 3-4 years and circa 60,000 miles. Report of turbo oil-seal failure in 2.2 TDCi turbo caused engine to run on its sump oil and self-destruct. Bill for replacement engine, turbo, catalytic converter, exceeded £7,000. By early 2010, diesel pump failures also damaging the injectors were on the increase for both the 2.0 and 2.2 litre diesels.
When replacing injectors, the new improved Delphi injectors are smaller than the originals and require a different seal. Use of original type of seal will result in fuel leaks.
Diff problem starting to crop up on TDCI 130 6-speeds at around 3 years old, so any vibrations just before the warranty ends, make sure you notify the supplying garage in writing.

Reports of failures of fuel tank lifter pumps leading to fuel delivery problems in 2.0 petrol models.

Reports of out of true alloy wheels.

Check inside edges of the bottoms of all doors of 2000 - 2003 cars for paint lifting and corrosion because the wax sealing between the door frame and skin can fail.

Check for corroded rear brake pipes where they pass over the fuel tank (an MOT failure point).

Check rear suspension bushes which can become loose in the attachment points (an MOT failure point) and used to require a new subframe costing £300 - £500 to replace. Ford now has a procedure that removes the need for a new subframe involving a new type of bush, a special tool (part number is 205-047-07) and Loctite 270 superglue (part number 1128-392). Unfortunately the tool and glue have been in short supply. The solution will not work if the subframe has corroded around the attachment points.

Look for rust around chrome number plate light cover on Ghia estates.

Undertray of ST very difficult to remove to get to engine supm plug, then very difficult to put back. 16 fasteners and a two man job.

Reports of 2nd gear band breaking up in 4-speed autobox, contaminating the ATF and requiring the box to be rebuilt. These boxes tend to have a life of 60k - 90k.

JATCO advises owners of later 5-speed autoboxes not to carry out AUTOMATIC transmission fluid changes hemselves because it's difficult to ensure the correct amount is added (the gearbox needs to be run to a specific temperature - This requires diagnostic equipment) and probably they will use the wrong oil, e.g. Land Rover Discovery
icon-pound-orange.png
ATF is different from a Land Rover Freelander, and Jaguar X-Type (Jatco) uses different ATF to a Land Rover Freelander (Jatco).

ST models can suffer from drooping rear bumper/valence mouldings (www.stdrivers.co.uk

Rear tracking is adjustable for toe in / toe out, but cannot be set with some types of alloy wheel because they do not have continuous rims and confuse the laser. Too much toe in will make the steering very light. Too much toe out will lead to severe tyre inner shoulder wear.

Flexible front brake hoses vulnerable to chafing when not secured properly, and this can cause total brake failure if ruptured.

One reader's catalogue of failures from his 1.8SCi: "Coolant leaks, water leaks, alloy wheel paint flaking around the valves, the Sat-Nav/Air/CD control has a tendency to freeze but worst of all the fuel consumption is very bad. Less than 30 mpg, where my previous 2001 1.8 Zetec gave me 35mpg." Seems to have a problem with the air con pipe at the front of the engine. Fix is new type of pipe £227 all in.

One case of rust-through of water jacket of 2.0i petrol engine.

On pre-2003 cars an a/c hose can chafeon the vertical joint of two flanges behind the front bumper and eventually sever, losing the refrigerant. Replacements are £80 but are modified so they do not chafe on the flange.

Engine surging of 2.0 litre petrol can be cured by a new idle control valve.
Wired in Quickclear screen tend to fail after 9 years or so.
Problem with rear hatchback lock causes by cold d and bad weather in the switch itself cured by a new switch at £25 from Ford.
Recalls

29-12-2000: 2,500 2001 model year Mondeo
icon-pound-orange.png
s recalled to have side airbag trigger electronics replaced. (Source Daily Mirror 29-12-2000.)
16-7-2001: Warning sent out to owners about correct operation of handbrake: press brake pedal firmly; while brake pedal pressed, pull handbrake lever up to its fullest extent keeping finger off the ratchet button. Always park an automatic in 'P'.
21-8-2001: 5,595 2001 model year Mondeos built October 2000 to July 2001 fitted with cruise control recalled because water ingress can corrode the electrics leading to failure to switch off.
20-4-2002: 60,000 Mondeos built January to November 2001 recalled for parking brake ratchet to be adjusted. 10-7-2002: Battery cable may chafe on automatic transmission valve cover plate. 8,888 Mondeos affected. (Some recall notices not received until March 2003.)
TSB No.63/2002 31.10.2002 Model: Mondeo 2001 with 2.0L DuraTorq-TDCi engine built from 10.2001 (build code 1K), Focus
icon-pound-orange.png
with 1.8L DuraTorq-TDCi engine built from 05.2001 (build code 1B. Engine running erratically or does not start. Common cause is that the fuel pump is unable to deliver the required fuel rail pressure due to wear of the cam, rollers and shoes. The damage is caused by insufficient bedding of the rollers during early life. This also creates metallic particles which can enter the high pressure fuel system and lead to injector failure. To rectify this concern, a revised fuel pump, new injectors and associated parts should be installed. If this concern is present, it will generally be indicated by a flashing glow plug indicator showing that a fault has been detected. This bulletin supersedes TSB 63/2002 dated 08.08.2002, which should either be destroyed or clearly marked to show it is no longer valid (e.g. with a line across the page). Additions have been made to the Parts Required and Labour Times. The Service Instruction has been ammended.
3-2-2003: Power steering pressure hose may chafe on engine inlet manifold, ultimately resulting in oil leak and loss of assistance to steering. Fit latest production level, revised routing PAS pressure hose.
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN No.37/2003 Car and Light/Medium Commercial 31.03.2003 Section: 303-04E Model: Mondeo 2001 (Engine: 2.0L DuraTorq-TDCi) Markets: All. Subject: Engine cuts out. Summary: Should a customer express concern that the engine is cutting out, the probable cause is a failed connection of the fuel pressure sensor electrical connector. To rectify this concern, a modified fuel pressure sensor electrical connector should be installed. Note: To carry out the service instruction, it will be necessary to splice the new fuel pressure sensor electrical connector into the engine wiring harness.
4-8-2003: recall of 72,682 Mondeo IIs to modify parking brake lever mechanism with improved leverage.

13-10-2007: Voluntary Recall letter to owners of TDDIs and TDCIs to replace faulty dual mass flywheels

Rfg

RMS Regular
i have had mine since 06 and never had one problem ran faultless very reliable car and 06 ones most of the problems are sorted only thing is the drooping rear bumper to look out for. Also mine is for sale hint hint not a better one in the UK!!

Pug Nut

RMS Regular
OP
P
Drives
RS 2 feet
Report of turbo oil-seal failure in 2.2 TDCi turbo caused engine to run on its sump oil and self-destruct. Bill for replacement engine, turbo, catalytic converter, exceeded £7,000.

flip me that doesnt sound too good!!
pm'd ronnie

Rfg

RMS Regular
if they are not abused they will go for ever. great car and only a fracion of the cost of its german counterpart. only gripe I have with mine is heavy tyre wear and the engine is a bit rattly typical ford diesel if it was smoother it would be perfect.

lighter7

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E36/Disco3
One of our work cars is the TDCI but it isnt the ST just the Zetec with all the extras. And its nothing but problems. clutch and dual-mass flywheel has been changed in the past and I was told the other day that the clutch is slipping again.

Umm the steering rack is wreaked on that one aswell and there was oil foming around the engine somewere, think it had something to do with the turbo but not sure wasnt listening.

Dont know if that helps just know thats what wrong with ours.
Mind you it is remapped to like 200BHP.

Rfg

RMS Regular
is it driven like most work cars as well. there have been horror stories about them best thing is to get on to a few forums like the stdrivers or stowners and see what they say.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Its a modern diesel so

Injectors
MAF
DMF
ECU
Injector pump
Cam or crank angle sensors

All consumables on anything Euro 3 or above tbh.

MTKelly

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo 5
Like any car there are good and bad ones. I wouldnt let the above list and faults put you off if you really want one but you should use it to check any that you look at. One thing I would also check which is not on the list is the rear seat belts as the centre one can become stuck and it's a pain to replace. Also ensure the folding seat is fully back on the latch, if not the belt wont work.

Pug Nut

RMS Regular
OP
P
Drives
RS 2 feet
@ Gaz.. lol cheers for that input mate lol

Just home from ST viewings today. saw 2 today. a blue one in londonderry/derry.
and a silver one outside ballymoney.

Silver one looked tidy enough around the outside, but had no history, only one key, and he only had ther car a few months. Put me straight off it.

Blue one had alot of small marks round it, rear passenger wheelarch was rusted. front bumper broken and littered with stone chics. the rear bumper had fallen down which i know is a common fault. drove very well with no knocks or bangs etc, had full history and was well documented. Pity about the bumpers and rust.

Am i being too fussy?

tbdevpaul

RMS Regular
Drives
Hundeye
not at all pug. I went looking for one of these and there was tonnes of scrap out there. ST220 on LPG best way to go in my opinion.

306HDi

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon TDi/Mini
i had an 07 one, proper dog it was, bought it when it was 9 months old with 8,000 miles on it, nothing but trouble from day 1, went a drive with the other half when i first got it home and goin into portstewart and engine management light come on and it wouldnt rev over 1600 rpm, air flow meter had to be changed, had 3 air flow meters on it in 10,000 miles and lost count the many times the egr valve was replaced, it also started smoking like a train and was only getting over 300 miles to £65 of diesel, and that was driving sensibly. desmond motors hadnt a clue what to do with it in the end up, i must say they are useless and they refused to look at the car saying nothing was wrong with it in the end so i would advise against buying off them, very bad after sales, had enough of the car and desmonds in the end so i just sold the car, im glad i kept the 306

Astroid

RMS Regular
Drives
Rb5 and c4
Holy feck I knew the Tdci engines were dung but didn't think these where that bad. I suppose the Mazda 6 has these problems to as it's the same engine??

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Its a modern diesel so

Injectors
MAF
DMF
ECU
Injector pump
Cam or crank angle sensors

All consumables on anything Euro 3 or above tbh.

The TDCI doesnt have an injector pump like the TDDI, so the pump which doesnt give bother on these cars.

The ECU? Why would it give bother?

Cam and crank sensors dotn give any bother either nor does the MAF generally

The main this that goes wrong with these is the DMF and the injectors and rear sumframe bush's.

Revogti

RMS Regular
Drives
????
Well i had a 1.8 TDCi from new to 92k and it never gave any problems apart from the flywheel. My mate is a Ford mechanic and says the 2.0 tdcis can give bother, but countless numbers of them just come in for regular servicing with no problems.

At the end of the day, its a modern derv, one of my neighbours has just replaced 4 injectors on a 320d, so regardless of make they all seem potential money pits.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
The TDCI doesnt have an injector pump like the TDDI, so the pump which doesnt give bother on these cars.

The ECU? Why would it give bother?

Cam and crank sensors dotn give any bother either nor does the MAF generally

The main this that goes wrong with these is the DMF and the injectors and rear sumframe bush's.

Of course it has an injector pump, how else would it be pressurised to such high pressure? It might be called a 'fuel pump' in common rail terms but it is still an injector pump. It doesn't have a traditional (reliable) mechanical pump that controls everything though. Modern hi/low and similar units are fragile compared to older mechanical setups.

The point about the ECU and sensors is electronic control has ruined the reliability of modern diesel engines.

Gas bubble and heated element stoneage MAF sensors give bother on almost ALL engines after a while (Especially diesels). Unless they are using some new type of sensor. Surely it is the same one as all of the other ford and peugeot engines are using.

You certainly won't get 3-400k out of a modern engine with just oil changes, that's for sure!

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Of course it has an injector pump, how else would it be pressurised to such high pressure? It might be called a 'fuel pump' in common rail terms but it is still an injector pump. It doesn't have a traditional (reliable) mechanical pump that controls everything though. Modern hi/low and similar units are fragile compared to older mechanical setups.

The point about the ECU and sensors is electronic control has ruined the reliability of modern diesel engines.

Gas bubble and heated element stoneage MAF sensors give bother on almost ALL engines after a while (Especially diesels). Unless they are using some new type of sensor. Surely it is the same one as all of the other ford and peugeot engines are using.

You certainly won't get 3-400k out of a modern engine with just oil changes, that's for sure!

Yeah i know it has a high pressure pump but its not mechanical as in the TDDI which controls the injectors and i have never heard of many of these giving bother on the TDCI engines. Its the injectors fu>k up in the TDCI engines.

You cant just compare it to most modern diesel engines, he asked fro common faults on a certain car.

My G/F's uncle has a mondeo TDDI with 450k on it and it has has nothing but regular service's, the DMF changed twice and the small normal diesel pump at the rear changed once.

He also has a TDCI with big milage on it with no bother apart from the DMF.

My mondeo TDDI has 145k on it with no issues apart from the same fuel pump at the rear give up at 120k which is apparenly common on the TDDI engine.

I cant see how you say you wouldnt get 300k out of the new tdci engine.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
A turbo blew on one I was driving, car had around 100k at the time. So I'm guessing that an issue.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
How does it work if it's not mechanical? Magic? Powered by Fairy Dust? ^o)

Ok the injectors arent controlled by a mechanical pump. All it is a high pressure pump. Alot less complicated than a TDDI one.

As im sure you knew exactly what i meant. So why bother making a comment

SMB

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
I have a Performance Blue 06 ST TDCI with just under 70k on it....

Been driving it for a few months now and I love it... Comfy, plenty of power well spec'd and dead easy to run...

I'm aware of the horror stories, but hopefully keep it well serviced and looked after it and all will be ok..

B A Baracus

RMS Regular
Drives
Fergie TVO
Pug Nut did you find anything? Id change to one in the morning but im a lazy geat and cant be arsed looking. From what I can see online id get an 07 in Engerland for the same money as late 05 early 06 models here

Rfg

RMS Regular
quit ur gurning BA and buy mine... al the work is done for u and im only 2 miles away!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.