F1 2014 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Formula 1 teams worried about 'ugly' 2014 cars

1384270378.jpg
Formula 1 teams are concerned that the 2014 technical regulations are forcing them into 'ugly' designs with hooked nose sections, as shown by this AUTOSPORT image.
The rules for next season require a high chassis of 525mm and a low nose tip at 185mm.
But the regulations only demand a relatively small nose tip cross-section, and teams will want to minimise the width of this area to improve air flow under the chassis.
That raises the prospect of slender, drooping nose tip extensions to meet minimum rules requirements for this section, protruding from a higher, more bulky, section that will pass crash tests and fit teams' aerodynamic needs.
While not all teams are believed to be heading down this design route, it is understood that several leading outfits believe it is the best solution.
AUTOSPORT understands that some senior Formula 1 technical personnel have already called for changes to improve aesthetics, but this was not successful due to a lack of agreement on the need to do something.
An FIA technical directive has also been issued ruling out an alternative nose solution that was put forward with a request for clarification.
Red Bull design chief Adrian Newey and McLaren sporting director Sam Michael have admitted that the 2014 cars are likely to be "ugly" due to the front impact structure.
"The low nose is not a problem," Michael explained.
"The problem is the vagaries in the way you get through the crash test - and the teams will mostly be going down one solution.
"It is not because of the chassis height."

Delboy23

RMS Regular
OP
Delboy23
Drives
EP3
If that's the case, them nose's are brutal! I thought the stepped nose was bad but that takes the piss!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
think BOTTAS will beat him, big fan of the young Fin.

How has he actually done compared to his teammate this year? Just asking, not heard anything much about him at all this season.

The Dane will be a big punt... Could go either way... Has he done any testing yet at all? Not sure he is actually confirmed yet either...

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
@svensktoppen I think he's done okay in a difficult car.

always close to Maldonado in Q, sometimes quicker. thing he needs to improve is race pace, he even said himself but for a rookie I think he has done a solid job.

could learn a lot from Massa next year.

mants

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 320ci M Spor
Did Massa not say he wanted to be in a car he thought could win the title, not just a car to drive around in?

How on earth does he think the Williams is going to be up there fighting for the title

Reactions: DC.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
He just wants to be in F1 :p

As for the noses, who cares what the cars look like, as long as they are fast and we get a tight championship all the way to the finish line of the last race :grinning:

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
I would like to watch a race without throwing up though @svensktoppen :p

Kovalinen rumoured to be Raikkonens replacement for the last 2 races, I don't get that, what is the point of having a reserve driver ir you aren't going to use them? Valsecci would be quicker than Heikki I would think

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Heikki knows the tracks and has odles of experience ,
its a no brainer when team points are needed . .

Delboy23

RMS Regular
OP
Delboy23
Drives
EP3
Seems a bit harsh imo. Maybe Lotus will try to get him?

Maybe? Though lotus have been told by the new investors to get hulkenberg!
Could end up at force India with the Telmex backing? Could be him and Maldonado there next year if the team need the money!

stevyg

RMS Regular
If Telmex is into F1, they should just get their own team together...they have the dosh to do it.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Whoever goes where , i think DiResta,s F1 career is over . .

That would be a shame. A good driver that didnt do things the 'right' way around and is highly rated in a lot of other Motorsport classes too.

I'm a massive fan of his. Batters his team-mate week in - week out and seems like a proper, decent guy.

stevyg

RMS Regular
Lots of news today-
Magnussen confirmed for McLaren next year.
Kovalainen confirmed as Kimi replacement for the next 2 races.
Maldonado crying about Williams not doing enough for him.
Horner says the rival teams are to blame for encouraging the fans to boo Vettel. Wise up!

C4L

RMS Regular
loved the humid air showing up the airflow of the cars. funny to see the state of it directed off a few cars and then how it was directed and used on the redbull.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.