Mondello Trackdays 2014

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Calendar so far this year for "official" Mondello trackdays:
http://www.mondello.ie/calendar/car_track/

Summer format remains like last year, which means Track Attack sprint series on the same day. Basically a normal trackday, with Track Attack sprint series during lunch break, etc. Not been to one of those days, but people say the format seems to work ok.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Just announced today:

Mondello are starting "Platinum Track Club", basically resurrecting the VIP trackdays.

There will be a €100 yearly membership fee, and then €125 for a half day or €200 for a full day on track. Four days are planned for 2014. For the first date (28 March) the cost will be €125, with a complimentary trackday training course in the morning, and the afternoon the actual trackday. The rest of the year just track driving all day.

Full International circuit, fully private (only drivers and their guests allowed in), open pit lane, hospitality with refreshments, etc.

For the old VIP days, there used to be a loose "vetting process" to keep the riff-raff out. Seems like that has been replaced with the €100 membership fee to be allowed to come out and play.

I think I will stick to the OTD days as my mainstay at Mondello, but the old VIP days were always very good, so should come in useful to fill any gaps in the OTD calendar :grinning:

The "normal" Mondello trackdays will continue as before, with open entry and sharing the track with TimeAttack sprint rounds.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Next Mondello "Open" trackday is on Monday 5 May bank holiday. Full international, mix of sessions and open pit lane, and like last year interleaved with a round of the Irish Time Attack (basically sprint) championship.

Morning €125, afternoon €125, full day €185

Contact the track directly (see link on the Mondello website).

----------------------

Next OTD at Mondello is Friday 16 May. Open pit lane all day long, full international track.

Price €150 (no part day option available).

http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?12052-Octane-Track-Day-19-Friday-16th-May-2014

Jim28

RMS Regular
Drives
e39,e46
interleaved with a round of the Irish Time Attack (basically sprint) championship.
Interesting way of putting you pay 185 euro for a track day but are left sitting in the pits while the Sprint cars are out.......
Pure Rip Off.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
They basically go out in three 20-minute sessions during the day. The rest is trackday.

The OTD one is trackday only.

Jim28

RMS Regular
Drives
e39,e46
You simply cannot compare an OTD Trackday which is run by car enthusiasts to an open Trackday at Mondello.
The staff at Mondello are shambolic at best, the last one I attended it took over an hour just to get signed up.
Three 20 min sessions are at best an hour of Track time that I have paid for if there is an off or a problem that increases.
I dont see how Mondello can charge for a Halfday/Fullday when you dont get either one.
Last time I was there and trust me its a lot closer for me then Kirkistown, I was getting flagged on to the Track by a Marshall on a mobile for most of the day!
I have done a couple of OTD days and they were great.
There was a lot of unhappy people at the last couple of open days at Mondello because of the way it is run.
Mondello staff are not car enthusiasts it is run as a business hiring the cheapest staff they can get and so getting the type of staff you would expect.
The only time you will see me at an open day in Mondello is if I need a shakedown run and I'm desperate.
If anybody on here is thinking of doing a Trackday at Mondello try and get an OTD or Scooby club day both of these I would recommend and both run by a sound bunch of Lads.

Tr@ckpirate

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda RX7
interesting read here, im looking at some stage to get on the time attack sprints, anyone done them before on here? i know i need some seat time ive never done mondello.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Mondello is a fantastic track @Tr@ckpirate, especially the full international (y)

Never been to the time attacks, do not know much about them. Basically sprints as far as I can tell.

Tr@ckpirate

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda RX7
Mondello is a fantastic track @Tr@ckpirate, especially the full international (y)

Never been to the time attacks, do not know much about them. Basically sprints as far as I can tell.
im liking the sound of the full international one, did i read it right its basically privately hired and only guests with invitations are allowed

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
im liking the sound of the full international one, did i read it right its basically privately hired and only guests with invitations are allowed

Time Attack is a race (sprint) event organised by Mondello. Contact them, it is open for anyone as long as the car is eligible for a class.

Time Attack is run alongside a Mondello Open Trackday (same days, sharing the track, interleaving racing and trackday). The Open Day is a trackday, not a race event, again organised by Mondello themselves. Pretty much anyone is allowed in, can get busy on bank holidays, etc. Again, contact Mondello directly.

OTD is a semi-private event, organised by some of the lads at Backroads.ie (previously Octane.ie). There is a bit of basic vetting, numbers are limited, and they sell out fast. Very good days, no racing, quiet paddock, etc. Details here:
http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?10389-Octane-Track-Days-2014-Dates-and-more

PM the first poster in that thread ("FrequencyModulated"), on the Backroads.ie forum.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
There is an IAA (Irish Autism Action) fundraiser trackday at Mondello, Monday 30 May. I have no affiliation with the organiser, or IAA, just passing on the information if anyone is interested.

If anyone is interested in taking part, or just coming down for a day out, then drop me a PM and I can pass on contact details.

The format is an open track day, with two main sessions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. We also have drift exhibitions from the Irish drifting team, again both in the am and pm.

We have a display area with a number of cars etc on display including some from the historical museum in Mondello. In addition a number of drivers and Mondello themselves were kind enough to offer to take spectators for a lap and give the takings (€20 per ride) to the cause, this is optional.

It’s a family event so we have music playing all day, vendors for food and drink etc. All the garages are open and we run the pit lane so the spectators can get close to the cars, get their picture taken, see how a race car works etc. we even have the ‘Back to the future’ DeLorean coming down this year. We had a great turnout of spectators last year and this year should be even bigger.

We charge €250 to enter a car. You can also just have your car on display if you didn’t wish to track it. The organising committee pay for the day, sponsorship will cover the cost of the track, so every penny we take in is given to the charity directly.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Mondello Open day (combined with Time Attack) on Monday 2 June. This is a bank holiday across the border, so could get busy.

Prices (pre-paid/on the day)

Morning-----------€125-------------€145
Afternoon---------€125-------------€145
Full Day-----------€185-------------€205

Contact Mondello directly if interested. Will be August/September before the next "official" Open Day at Mondello.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.