So it's been confirmed no more tax disc from oct 2014 we up date page 2

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Still yet to put an MOT disc in my car.

Looks like it will just be the IAM sticker on the screen from October!

c_rad

RMS Regular
Much better job now, just hope the system works properly.
The idea of spreading the cost month to month is brilliant and makes it much handier IMO.

Hel

RMS Regular
Just a shame youll have to automatically tax as soon as you buy. Will used cars values go down to make up for this extra cost?

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Just a shame youll have to automatically tax as soon as you buy. Will used cars values go down to make up for this extra cost?

Don't think it will matter for anything other than the sub-£1k stuff.

c_rad

RMS Regular

New car buyers pay first years tax anyway, on anything second hand it is just going to be a case of phone them up and switch the details over. Million times easier unless you can't get through lol

Hel

RMS Regular
New car buyers pay first years tax anyway, on anything second hand it is just going to be a case of phone them up and switch the details over. Million times easier unless you can't get through lol

From what ive read you cant. If a taxed car is bought mid tax period then you can only cancel. Its a big money spinner because if you have a tax period worth 5.9 months then you get 5months tax back. That 0.9 months is pocketed by the govt. Convenient eh

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
I quite like the fact that you will be able to pay by direct debit monthly.

edit - I have just read on.. 5% surcharge, dunno now..

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
From what ive read you cant. If a taxed car is bought mid tax period then you can only cancel. Its a big money spinner because if you have a tax period worth 5.9 months then you get 5months tax back. That 0.9 months is pocketed by the govt. Convenient eh

And also if you want to drive the car straight away, you have to pay for the 0.9 months as well, which in effect means the car has been taxed for twice for that 1 month period. Another money spinner!

Gavlar

RMS Regular
I dunno i can see them making you tax a car everytie you buy rather than switching details. Would be a good easy money maker for them

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I take it these government rules mentioned in the link will def apply here too from 1st October? You know how sometimes they only seem to apply certain new regs to England, Scotland and Wales and we get our own?

Anyone know how this will affect Coleraine? Are they rushing to update their systems to fall in line with Swansea, or will it all get moved over there?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
When has coleraine ever rushed? Lol

To be fair to Coleraine the cherished transfer section is first class. I have never had a problem with them and truly hope it doesn't go to Swansea.

I had a transfer sent, processed and returned to me in 5 days last week- new world record.

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
I doubt it's Coleraine's fault but the inability to retain a registration without it being on something road legal is ridiculous, no matter how quickly they can swtich them round. It's put me off ever bothering with a nice plate, changing cars is hassle enough without having to have bought your new motor before selling the old one or trusting some randomer who bought your car to cough the reg up a few weeks down the line.

pablo

RMS Moderator
its only first class as no-one is doing them atm.

I wonder will the new tax run as each calendar month or from the day you buy the car. so you start tax on the 25th march say without having to pay for the full month of march.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Agreed on the retention issue. But it's not the fault of those working there.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Ive done a few in my time and now seems to be the quietest ever they are pretty much doing them on the day they arrive. I doubt its due to any efficiency drive by coleraine.

pablo

RMS Moderator
so either there are less happening
or they have got super efficient at it

which is more likely? they used to be posting out applications from 1-2 weeks prev. lately they have been posting out applications received that day.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.