any1 on here know much about mk3 golfs

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

brendy7

RMS Regular
Its a 2ltr 8v its hitting the rev limiter about 2000rpm before it should anyone come across this before

Last edited by a moderator:

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Either camshaft sensor, crank sensor, timing out a tooth or the distributor has moved, swinging the timing out.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Very common to stop at 5k if the timing is out as mentioned above. Any more details?

Curt

RMS Regular
Drives
B5.5
M3 Golf?

vw-golf-3-bmw-seria-3-e64-tuning-004.jpg

brendy7

RMS Regular
OP
B
Lol ment mk3 cheers fellas ill try that got the car a while ago havent had a chance 2 look at it yet going 2 get it on the road here in the next month or 2

brendy7

RMS Regular
OP
B
Sorry iam only getting back to this now only started working on the car last nite the timing all looks fine distributor looks fine lined up with the mark on the body of the distributor when at tdc. anyother ideas think the engine code is 2e

cheers

Jamie-g

RMS Regular
Mine did. We set the timing and a new distributor cap and rotor arm. It sorted it out straight away.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It'll be the timing. Check it again.

I did mine using vagcom and turning the distributor till it got within the right range.

brendy7

RMS Regular
OP
B
See the father inlaw has a timing gun we put it on last nite and it was telling us it was out but we tryed turning the distributor while the gun was on and it was making no change the line was staying the same distance away untill i turned it rite round and it cut out

brendy7

RMS Regular
OP
B
All so looks like someones replaced leads distributor cap and arm already

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
No worries. I bought it to eliminate a timing problem but it wasnt it. I ran it for 20mins and put it back in the box cos it wasnt it. I'm fitting a VR lump now so its no good to me. 2E is a cracking wee engine though. Hope you get it sorted

brendy7

RMS Regular
OP
B
Lol aye me to mate use will all prob no the car it was won at a dub show like 3 years back maybe even 4 green 3door with a doller bill roof. Roof isnt to my taste but i got it for the girl she loves it lol

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Aye I remember the car. ECU could be bucked if all else tried? Hasn't got an aftermarket alarm or anything daft that'd be linked to engine/ecu?

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
How you get sorted @brendy7

Worst comes to worst I have an engine here I'd take bad money far ;) haha.

In serious tho, I have an ecu if you want to try it to maybe rule things out.

brendy7

RMS Regular
OP
B
How you get sorted @brendy7

Worst comes to worst I have an engine here I'd take bad money far ;) haha.

In serious tho, I have an ecu if you want to try it to maybe rule things out.

chéers fellas ill let yous no didnt get looking at it tonight was working late hope 2 get a go at it 2marra after work need to pull the finger out have 2 weeks to get it on the road .

Gambit

RMS Regular
check all static timing marks align (cam, crank & flywheel) , if timed wrong by a tooth or two when a new timing belt is done itll do exactly what you are seeing now

brendy7

RMS Regular
OP
B
Cheers lads got her sorted timed it up using the flywheel marks then set my distributor worked the very best.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.