Tsi engine thoughts - EDIT 2.0 TFSI advice

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Looking at an eos for the Other half.
Car is perfect, nice drive but felt a biy lacking.
The more reviews a read about this engine the more I cringe.

Last edited:

J-VW

RMS Regular
tfsi or tsi i presume 2.0? I test drove a 2.0 tfsi eos (mk5 gti engine) and it wasn't quick at all. Eos are heavy

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
OP
hannakournikova
Yes 1.4tsi mate.
We only really want the 2.0tfsi but this was alright wee car.

@Harry is the one in your place

Last edited:

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
What year?

Early 1.4tsi engines with cam chain were prone to problems with oil consumption etc but the new tsi engines which are belt driven have the problems sorted.

I have a new 1.4tsi leon and love it. Getting about 48mpg average and still nippy enough.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
OP
hannakournikova
Its the early 1.4 chain tsi.
The readings dont look good.
65k with a 3 month warranty :/

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
Id personally give it a miss, I'm sure ive read a lot of complaints about it over on Seat Cupra.net forums.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
The early ones are turbo and super charged, they give more bother than the later turbo only ones. The latter are belt driven and the former are chain.

Harry

RMS Regular
Drives
V8
Know the car, been coming to us for years. Was only traded in a couple of days ago. Just extend the warranty if your worried? We offer a year for a pretty good price and stand over just about everything!

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
OP
hannakournikova
Know the car, been coming to us for years. Was only traded in a couple of days ago. Just extend the warranty if your worried? We offer a year for a pretty good price and stand over just about everything!
the warranty was an extra 600 or so for 2 years so steep enough.
Think the missus is worried now that im a bit worried.

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
Is it the twin-charged engine? I wasn't aware they put those in the EOS?

I had a 1.4 TSI (Twin-charged) Bocanegra and had 0 issues apart from it drank a bit more oil than other cars, other than that it was fairly quick, reliable and economical

matt1207

RMS Regular
Drives
mk7.5 R
Is it the twin-charged engine? I wasn't aware they put those in the EOS?

I had a 1.4 TSI (Twin-charged) Bocanegra and had 0 issues apart from it drank a bit more oil than other cars, other than that it was fairly quick, reliable and economical

Were you not looking to get forged pistons for your engine, due to long term reliability?

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
OP
hannakournikova
From reading the early tsi chain ones were poor.
I know we can tale a warranty but it's put the fear into Luise that the engine will possibly go pop.
For that reason we have passed on the car.

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
Were you not looking to get forged pistons for your engine, due to long term reliability?

Once the car was out of warranty yes, I was quite happy to keep it until it eventually died so was looking to make it last as long as possible.

During my ownership though I had 0 problems.

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
Not a fan of these new TSI engines at all. VW are trying to squeeze too much power out of these smaller blocks by adding as much fault prone electronics as they can get away with!

E.g. A friend of mine recently picked up a 2010 golf with 40k or so on it, coil pack has already died and had to go back to VW

To be fair the diesels don't seem a whole lot better either though :confounded:

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
OP
hannakournikova
From reading the usual forums it would seem this chain 1.4 tsi engine had a problem with chain tensioner and excessive oil usage.
Also with the supercharger and turbo charger was an added worry.

Give me a 1.8T eos with a k04 bolted on

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
The tsi isn't a particularly reliable engine in any form, the main problem being when anything does go wrong it costs a fortune to repair! But then again I know a lot of people with them that have had trouble free motoring. The internet is full of all the bad bits, that's all you're going to hear from anyone.

IMO I wouldn't really buy one either, due to the fact I've seen what they can do. Although the ones with the tfsi are a grand job with plenty of tuning capabilities!

T66 DNP

RMS Regular
Drives
320i M Sport
I have owned 2 1.4 tsi's

First one, which was a 2009, gave me one issue during ownership ... The turbo expired, broken spindle. Replaced under warranty. I sold the car maybe 18-19mths later. The second owner had a major engine failure...was still just in warranty and cost over £4k to repair.

Second 1.4 tsi (2011) No issues at all. Was never in for any warranty work. No oil consumption.

I would tend to avoid 1.4tsi prior to 2011. That said, as Harry mentioned, extended warranty is an option (more like a must) if anyone buys earlier models ... I just wouldn't be bothered with any hassle.

Incidentally, the 1.4tsi has picked up numerous awards year after year for engine of the year ... Guess it is just the horror stories you hear that give concern.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
OP
hannakournikova
SO, deposit left on a car with 2.0 TFSI engine.

Can anyone advise on immediate things to change? Cam follower? etc

J-VW

RMS Regular
SO, deposit left on a car with 2.0 TFSI engine.

Can anyone advise on immediate things to change? Cam follower? etc

Looking foward to seeing what it is, fab engines. Cam follower & maybe a revised diverter valve if its got an older variant fitted?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.