Upgrade from Focus Sport to St3

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

hitandamiss

RMS Regular
Drives
Nothing
Considering upgrading my focus sport to an st3 5 door. The only major expenses other than the initial purchase would be fuel (dropping from around 38mpg in the sport to around 28mpg in the St) and tax going from 180 to 285 p year. Insurance isn't much of a difference, an extra 100 a year should cover it. Is the st3 the way to go or is there a better alternative for around 8k - needs to be 5 door for the family.
Go

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Octavia VRS?

Passat CC?

In 2.0T guise both would return the same MPG as your current car.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I got over 30mpg from mine (which was far from standard) and @Arfur did from his too. Personally I'd go for the ST2 as the colour on the seats brightens up the interior.

jonny.92

RMS Regular
I currently travel 3 miles each way to work and on the days I need to take the cupra r I get about 21-23 mpg lol. I honestly couldnt give a toss about the fuel anymore though as its 10x the car the mk4 golf was and puts a smile on my face :party:

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
You don't need to hyper mile in a focus st to get decent mpg... Just surf the torque which it has there in spades! Like any car with a little power drive it hard or ragged and the mpg suffers.. Drive it normal and it's grand.

hitandamiss

RMS Regular
OP
hitandamiss
Drives
Nothing
Realistically though. 10 miles a day isn't going to cripple you.
Fair point... Keeping me thinking here. Checked out that MPS @Noel McQ the mk1 doesn't seem to cut it against the St, I hear the mk2 is where it's at but pushing a bit out of budget for me

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
MPS Mk2 is an absolute weapon. Took it for a test drive years ago and it's just so easy to access the power. I'd probably be without a license now if I'd bought it. :/

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
As said above, if you're worried about the mpg & 285 tax then it's not the car for you.

A Focus ST is not going to cripple you.

Go get a drive in one & I bet you £50 you'll buy one shortly after lol

Last edited:

Noel McQ

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS
MPS Mk2 is an absolute weapon. Took it for a test drive years ago and it's just so easy to access the power. I'd probably be without a license now if I'd bought it. :/

There is a torque limiter as standard in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.... once you load a base map it removes these and power is even more accessible (y)

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
That would probably explain how well it drove for me. I don't drive turbos that often but would consider one in the future. BBR upgrades I've read seem like a good shout as well.

jonny.92

RMS Regular
Suppose its down to personal choice really, the Mk1 doesn't have much to go on looks wise unless it has the aero kit on. I just think they are an absolute bargain at the minute, whole lot of car for not very much money..... like this one 2007 with only 36k!!!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201408286939617/sort/pricedesc/radius/200/advert-type/Classified/onesearchad/used,nearlynew,new/site/uk/model/mazda3/keywords/MPS/usedcars/page/4/postcode/bt324jl/price-to/8000/make/mazda?logcode=p

£485 a year tax? My God +o(

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
St Focus doesn't look that smart in 5 door imo.

I'd be considering VRS Octavia and Leon Cupra probably.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.