Too good to be true?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
I know, these usually are when you have to ask the question.

I've been on the lookout for a small car with decent space and 5 doors for the wife since we've had our first baby (her Fiat 500 is a tight squeeze these days!) and stumbled across this B180CDi B Class in Keady.

Problem is - it's priced well under anything else in the UK around the same year / spec / mileage:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/mercedes-benz/2009-mercedes-b-class-b180-cdi-sport-5dr/1109135482

Don't suppose anyone on here knows the car?

The cheapest one I can find around that year and mileage on Auto trader is £7999 and it's only an SE.

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
The one glaringly obvious thing that stands out for me is the location.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Bit strange, location is in Armagh but the Number is from ROI, plus a euro price.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Is it in kmph? Clocks only show one speed which would make me think its an ROI import with only kmph clocks. Would explain why its cheap

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Difficult to say.

You can change units of measurement in most cars with digital displays, which is handy if you do cross the border.

I wonder if the K (before the mph) has been photoshopped or insulation taped out of the clock!

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Googled a B class speedo. Looks like the one in the advert is fine. KPH displays look like this

JohnK_B200_232_600_333.jpg

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Difficult to say.

You can change units of measurement in most cars with digital displays, which is handy if you do cross the border.

I wonder if the K (before the mph) has been photoshopped or insulation taped out of the clock!
Maybe not, looked up a UK cluster on eBay and it does only show MPH on clocks. I thought all cars had to show both speeds on the clocks but not familiar with mercs

$_3 (5).JPG

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Difficult to say.

If the speedo was in kmh, 160 would be around 100mph. Surely does a bit more than that?

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Hmmm...

I'll see if he admits it first and then if he has details of the repair.

Cat D is usually innocuous / superficial damage after all.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Was chatting to the owner there.

Seems like a decent chap (you can usually suss a cowboy after a minute or so into the conversation!).

He was upfront about the repair straight away - said it was hit on the rear end and needed a new bumper which he bought new from Mercedes and had painted and he's been driving it since.

Might be worth a trip to bandit country for a peek...

Last edited:

KevM

RMS Regular
As you say, in and around £5k sounds fair enough for the wee car.

If it was categorised in 2014, it hasn't been too major, so unless its had bags or has warning lights on the dash, I wouldn't let it put me off too much.

If he's talking Euro, you might be able to work a bit of saving/bargaining on the rate too?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Was chatting to the owner there.

Seems like a decent chap (you can usually suss a cowboy after a minute or so into the conversation!).

He was upfront about the repair straight away

When asked?

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
When asked?

Yeah I just said it seems cheap and asked if there was there anything I should know.

Private sellers don't have to declare cat d, unlike traders but if he had said nothing I'd have told him to foxtrot oscar.

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Rear bumper looks a shade off colour in one of the pics as does the drivers wing.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Rear bumper looks a shade off colour in one of the pics as does the drivers wing.

Had thought that myself but it's hard to tell in that light with those contours and a metallic colour.
Would really need to see it in the metal.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Is there any way of finding out whether any of the original airbag(s) have been deployed and replaced?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.