B6 Passat EPB Fault

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Big Dogg

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla MY-LR
Bloody EPB fault on my Passat. I know they're quite common, but there can be a few causes (EPB switch, EPB motor, seized caliper). The issue I have is identifying what is causing the fault before I can fix it.

Symptoms: A couple of days ago, the amber EPB light came on, along with the messaging saying "parking brake fault - see owner's manual". I encountered this a few times over the winter, but after restarting the car a couple of times, it went away and the EPB hadn't locked on or anything. However, this time, when activating the EPB, I could hear the sound of the rear passenger side motor activating, but it didn't stop after a second or 2 like normal - it kept going until I hit the EPB button again. I wasn't overly annoyed by this because I just avoided using the EPB for the next day or so. However, when I came home from work on Friday, I noticed a burning smell and found it was coming from the rear passenger caliper seized on (there was also heat from the wheel area).

I took the wheel and caliper off today (took a bit of work to prise the caliper off) and the piston won't wind back in at all (I thought it might have moved a little bit if it had been the EPB motor at fault).

Anyone know how to identify whether it's the EPB switch, EPB motor or seized caliper causing the fault? I have a wee VAG diagnostic tool, but it doesn't have an option for EPB system. If I find someone local that has VCDS, will it be able to identify the cause of the fault?

I've also read that there is a temporary fix that will free the caliper up a bit to allow you to drive. Does anyone know what this temporary fix is?

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
How did to try and retract the caliper ?
Sounds like it's that caliper at fault
To wind it back in(if stuck in) you have to remove the motor of the caliper and then wind the caliper back in using a torx

Big Dogg

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Tesla MY-LR
I just tried using a G clamp, but didn't try too hard for fear of damaging the motor gears or something.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
It has to be winded back in
It's not like a normal caliper a g clamp won't put it in

Big Dogg

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Tesla MY-LR
Super :worried: I may just try to find a replacement caliper & motor together on eBay or something. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
I don't know you location but I'm in Dungiven and have new switches and vcds if you wanted to rule them out but I'm sure it's the caliper
There not too expensive now
Around £140-180 reconditioned depending on what year your b6 is

Big Dogg

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Tesla MY-LR
It's 2006. I'm located in Ballyclare. I wouldn't mind taking a run up to you, if I can free the caliper up somehow to allow me to drive without worrying about the brake getting too hot. I take it it wouldn't be smart to leave the pads out temporarily?

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Personally I wouldn't drive it that far without them,up to you though
I always carry the spare switch and relevant torx in the boot incase I get stuck myself somewhere lol

Big Dogg

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Tesla MY-LR
Lol madness. Do you carry the torx for removing the EPB motor or winding the caliper in?

Big Dogg

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Tesla MY-LR
Where is the torx that retracts the piston located? Can it only be done with the EPB motor removed? What size are the torx bits needed?

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Super :worried: I may just try to find a replacement caliper & motor together on eBay or something. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

If you are going to order online just be aware there are two different plugs on the motors earlier and later have different style plugs to make sure you order the correct one image.jpg

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Where is the torx that retracts the piston located? Can it only be done with the EPB motor removed? What size are the torx bits needed?
Aye motor needs removed,can't remember the size on the motor but when removed to retract the caliper it's a t45 and turn CLOCKWISE

c-bro

RMS Regular
Drives
Lexus IS300H F-S
Caliper motor seized on one I had - took the motor off, opened the casing and freed the mechanism up with WD40. Took a while but worked. Sealed the casing back up with silicone, re-attached to the caliper and rewound it by connecting a 12v supply to both terminals which wound it back. They fail because the casing cracks and lets water in.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
They are torx30 to remove the motor. Also to note there are different internals to wind the calipers, some came with an m8 xzn fitting.
The caliper doesn't usually seize, as already said they crack along the flat section of the casing letting water in.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Any joy getting this fixed? Our 2008 CC has just done the same thing, pulling on one side and wont release, cant even get it moved to drive it to a garage

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
As above screw the motor off,and rewind the caliper which will let you drive the car

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
mine does the same and its the switch, havent got round to checking it. tested with vagcom and it says the switch anyways

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Checked the casing there and it's fine no cracks in it. There's very little on the pads so wondering if this is the cause, I was able to drive up the street in it but it's not free wheeling and the disc heated up very quickly. I haven't the tools or a proper jack to get at it properly and remove the motor part of it....melt

Big Dogg

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Tesla MY-LR
Anyone close to Ballyclare or in Belfast have VCDS or VAGCOM that they could throw on my Passat to check what faults the EPB system is showing? Want to check if it may be the switch at fault before I go to the expense of getting a new caliper/motor.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Looks like I'll be getting mine towed to a garage, got it moved off the driveway in 1st but as soon as I came off the accelerator it locked again and wouldn't budge. Defo a seized caliper on mine. That's gonna sting.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.