Carports ??

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

O.C.D

RMS Regular
Considering getting a carport put up (not by myself) .....Where do i start ??

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Mine which I knocked up myself...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 314

O.C.D

RMS Regular
OP
O.C.D
Is there any good companies in N.I that do carports...goggled it but not great.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Is there any good companies in N.I that do carports...goggled it but not great.

There are the likes of H2 engineering that do modular garages, delivered and ready to rock. But if it's an actual car port as such and not a garage then as above speak to a decent joiner as a guide and price.

My build quickly escalated from car port to basically fully enclosed garage and I got the initial idea from the threads above which others have already linked.

You can see most of the different stages in my members car thread, a good chunk of ££ was spent on getting the concrete done properly and hiring the mini digger and someone to take the crap away.

For the timber structure itself and roof I think materials were around £1.5k+ for mine but it was 8m long and close to 3m high, and I opted for some huge upright posts to be sunk in whilst concreting, these were special order and cost a small fortune in themselves (initially I spec'd steel but this was changed although v little cost saving). I chose to keep the wooden frame off the ground on top of block to help preserve the wood from the elements.

Other things like roller shutter door was about £300 fitted which was good as mine was on the tall side as far as they go. The pre treated timber cladding was a god send, easy fitted and worked with.

If you've a fair idea of what you want then draw a few plans and get a couple of joiner quotes imo.

Here's a couple of my earlier plan attempts but the spec inside in terms of sink, electrics etc all changed but again none of this might be of any use to you if its a strict carport you're after :grinning:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435756798.012634.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435756820.429085.jpg

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Great post @g4ost, I could see mine going the same route. Fully enclosed all the way.

Yeah if it's to actually house and protect a car etc I wouldn't have it any other way. It also helps being able to have lots of sockets, lights and hot water / sink etc.

My plans are a bit overkill but I was having to relocate a shed and oil tank and needed to make sure there was enough room for everything.

I can't emphasise enough though about how useful the extra height is and the metre or so beyond the house added to the length, made all the difference in terms of useable space and storage.

O.C.D

RMS Regular
OP
O.C.D
Thanks for all that great info bud gives me something to chew over.

paul3178

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk7 GTI
Thanks for all that great info bud gives me something to chew over.
Hi

I used www.multicover.ie for ours, not cheap but i couldn't fault the guys from start to finish, and the quality of the car port is second to none.

To give you an idea, i think it was about £1.5k fitted.

happy to post pics if you want, theres plenty of examples on their webpage

Cheers
Paul

O.C.D

RMS Regular
OP
O.C.D
Cheers Paul ..fire up a couple of pics please. Thanks

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
There are the likes of H2 engineering that do modular garages, delivered and ready to rock. But if it's an actual car port as such and not a garage then as above speak to a decent joiner as a guide and price.

My build quickly escalated from car port to basically fully enclosed garage and I got the initial idea from the threads above which others have already linked.

You can see most of the different stages in my members car thread, a good chunk of ££ was spent on getting the concrete done properly and hiring the mini digger and someone to take the crap away.

For the timber structure itself and roof I think materials were around £1.5k+ for mine but it was 8m long and close to 3m high, and I opted for some huge upright posts to be sunk in whilst concreting, these were special order and cost a small fortune in themselves (initially I spec'd steel but this was changed although v little cost saving). I chose to keep the wooden frame off the ground on top of block to help preserve the wood from the elements.

Other things like roller shutter door was about £300 fitted which was good as mine was on the tall side as far as they go. The pre treated timber cladding was a god send, easy fitted and worked with.

If you've a fair idea of what you want then draw a few plans and get a couple of joiner quotes imo.

Here's a couple of my earlier plan attempts but the spec inside in terms of sink, electrics etc all changed but again none of this might be of any use to you if its a strict carport you're after :grinning:

View attachment 88810

View attachment 88811

Who did you get to install the roller door?

I could do with changing my door tho thought a roller door was a lot more than £300

paul3178

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk7 GTI
Cheers Paul ..fire up a couple of pics please. Thanks
Sorry not the best pics, but it'll give you an idea.

The roof is more like a conservatory type style, strong enough to walk over.

They make them to suit, so you can pick the colour and colouring of the roof sheeting. The frames aluminium except the legs which are zinc treated and powder coated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 220

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Who did you get to install the roller door?

I could do with changing my door tho thought a roller door was a lot more than £300

It was tilt a door, a wee bit of a wait on it as they come out to measure themselves first then a week or two to make but they had it installed really quickly.

It's a good quality metal one too which is coated. I was expecting it to be about twice the price or more too!

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
It was tilt a door, a wee bit of a wait on it as they come out to measure themselves first then a week or two to make but they had it installed really quickly.

It's a good quality metal one too which is coated. I was expecting it to be about twice the price or more too!

I'll have to give them a ring, I put it off as thought it would be loads more and it's not a priority but at £300 I'll get it done and not in a rush anyway if they take a few weeks to install

Last edited:

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
I'll have to give them a ring, I put it off as thought it would be loads more and it's not a priority but at £300 I'll get it done and not in a rush anyway

I just double checked the invoice and was £340 so yeah I wasn't far off and it's v good quality.

Once I've the rest painted and insulated I'll get them out to stick a motor on it so it can be automated [emoji41]

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
I just double checked the invoice and was £340 so yeah I wasn't far off and it's v good quality.

Once I've the rest painted and insulated I'll get them out to stick a motor on it so it can be automated [emoji41]

That's handy they can fit motor at a later date. How much does the motor add to it?

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
I hadn't asked them directly it was only going on hearsay that it's maybe £100-£150 or there abouts.

And the design of it sits inside the mechanism structure that's already there so no need for extra width. In hindsight I should've got it all done at once as reversing the car in at night is noisy as feck probably for the neighbours!!

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Makes up for the musical instrument playing.

I swear they do that to take the piss early mornings and evenings now. You can't play some big brass horn thing for 5 years and still only know the James Bond theme :p

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
As a rough ballpark what would you expect to pay for a carport about 14m by 4.5? Finished in pvc trim and guttering? Would lean to a house gable at one side an need supports on the other?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.