Good For a First Car?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

CJH

Hi everyone,
would appreciate a wee bit of advice please, new to the used car game, and buying a first car for when I start work at the end of July. Absolute max budget of 5k. I've seen these two cars here, and have an insurance quote of £600 for the first one, so leaning towards it. Does anyone know these cars? Don't want to get stung buying something that's been wrecked in the past. Any help much appreciated, thanks

upload_2015-7-2_8-13-36.png

http://banbridgecars.com/listing/2007-volkswagen-golf-match-1-9-tdi-105-bhp/

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Maybe it was just me but I had a MK5 Golf like the above a few years back and found it quite difficult to park :oops:

Gaz86

RMS Regular
I think rust was a big problem on these golfs was it not @Coog? So check the arches carefully (particularly the rear) for signs of rot. Never owned one personally so can't comment on the lack of rear visability.

First thing to do is an HPI check, before you've even gone to see any car you should always check this. This will check to see if the vehicle has ever been written off or has outstanding finance etc owing on it (which if it has, the finance company will take it off you).

Always take a second (or even third) set of eyes with you when going to view a car if possible. A lot of people tend to buy with their heart rather than their head and often overlook things.

I can tell you now a black car will break your heart in terms of keeping the bodywork clean lol and will show up scratches much more than a silver car. Silver hides a multitude of sins.

Always check the history and pay particular attention to when things like timing belts/chains, clutches and flywheels have been changed. If you can't see from the service book then ask the seller and ask do they have a receipt for the work done.

I don't think either should give much bother engine-wise though, assuming thats the old PD engine, which I'm 99% sure it is.

Happy hunting (y)

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
For 5k theres alot of choice out there and with alot less miles than 110k. Just do a hpi check for whatever car you decide to go for. It will show all the information you need re accident damage, finance outstanding etc.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I think rust was a big problem on these golfs was it not @Coog? So check the arches carefully (particularly the rear) for signs of rot. Never owned one personally so can't comment on the lack of rear visability.

First thing to do is an HPI check, before you've even gone to see any car you should always check this. This will check to see if the vehicle has ever been written off or has outstanding finance etc owing on it (which if it has, the finance company will take it off you).

Always take a second (or even third) set of eyes with you when going to view a car if possible. A lot of people tend to buy with their heart rather than their head and often overlook things.

I can tell you now a black car will break your heart in terms of keeping the bodywork clean lol and will show up scratches much more than a silver car. Silver hides a multitude of sins.

Always check the history and pay particular attention to when things like timing belts/chains, clutches and flywheels have been changed. If you can't see from the service book then ask the seller and ask do they have a receipt for the work done.

I don't think either should give much bother engine-wise though, assuming thats the old PD engine, which I'm 99% sure it is.

Happy hunting (y)

Front arches and there's stories emerging of those 1.9's exploding without warning. I always thought they were dead-on but apparently not!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
So did I to be honest. We had the 1.9 105 in a Mk5 Match and in the Octavia and I thought it was a great engine. Certainly until recently I always thought the general rule was that it was fairly bulletproof 8-(.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Does it need to be a derv?

Some low mileage "cheaper" alternatives around now from the less premium manufacturers?

Jet9

RMS Regular
Head gasket problems very common with this model - be aware.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It had parking sensors! lol

Reversing was fine but I struggled to tell how far I was away from the kerbs. Mate of mine was the same. 9/10 times I thought I was parked I was about a foot off the kerb lol

jimcupra

RMS Regular
My work has 20 1.9 vw and skoda from 02 to 05 all with over 200k on them none have went bang. Yet!
Front arches and there's stories emerging of those 1.9's exploding without warning. I always thought they were dead-on but apparently not!

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
I wouldn't be spending that much on my 1st car, I purposely bought a crap car for my 1st one so that I wouldn't care if I wrecked it. £650 for my 1st car, which is over priced for a 106 lol

After I got more comfortable on the road & got a bit of experience, I bought something a little nicer. .. Depends how much confidence you have, 5k is a hell of a budget.

Is your work far from home? If not then why not get something petrol & a bit of fun. Diesels are great for eating up motorway mileage if that is what you do most often.

Honestly, I always wanted a Yaris T-Sport for my 1st car & actually still want one. I think they're great all rounders, plenty of owners/ex-owners on here will tell you they are fantastic little cars.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular

Mostly BKC's in the mk5 1.9tdi's (and mk2 leons). When people say the 1.9 is bulletproof it will be the bkc they are thinking about, they will out live the rest of the car if cared for.

BXE and BLS seem to be having issues, that are at the forefront of RMS atm

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
I have a 82k mk2 leon here with every option on it if that would interest you?

Haven't offically put it up for sale yet as I'm very attached to it but it does need to go unfortunately :worried:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Whatever you buy, make sure it has a decent NCAP rating because you will more than likely have some sort of accident in your first year or two.
My son had a seicento due to being easier to insure and ended up loosing his kneecap on the dash bar in a pretty slow speed bump. 1.5 star ncap rating with special mention of the dash bar..
Easy to be wise afterwards.

ilovequo

RMS Regular
Golf/Focus at round £3k looks hard to Beat...
Nice Looking - Easily enough Insured and Safe if you do have a Prang!
Make sure you leave enough to cover Insurance

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.