4x4 up and over exhaust?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

noLUCKcivic

RMS Regular
Drives
My Finger
Anyone seen this done or know if it would be legal? I've a wee fourtrak and want to run the exhaust out through the bulkhead up the outside of front passenger window pillar and along the roof to the back, almost like a snorkel, would it be legal? Was going to wrap it in heat wrap and put a stainless steel heat shield??? Any ideas? Thanks

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
May not be illegal, but certainly not safe.

It is okay for you or people who are aware of what it is, but if you need a push or someone comes up for a chat, it's going to hurt.

Why would you though? you would need to be fairly deep before the pressure would cause water to go back up the exhaust whilst running.

noLUCKcivic

RMS Regular
OP
noLUCKcivic
Drives
My Finger
Just want it like that for something different but I want it to be safe also hence heat wrap and heat shield but I defo don't want anyone getting burnt. I've heard of people stalling in water and flooding the engine???

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Did the door seals hold up?? lol

It was coming through the air vents, holes in the floor and open windows. Doors are smashed to bits and hardly close so the seals had no chance either. The alternator was for giving up long before we had any issues with the exhaust filling with water and took a bit of fettling to sort.

Wet arse the rest of the day too.

I put a Jeep shoulder deep into a bog up round Rostrevor one day and even then the exhaust, although full of water didn't cause issues (until I tore it off later that day on a reverse recovery). Filling the engine with water via the intake did cause a little bit of bother though. And then it went on fire. After that it was fine (ish) though.

Ollie

RMS Regular
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440153843.720118.jpg

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Exhausts on tractors etc go up the side of the cab with a heat shield and don't burn people.

If your doing that not better just stopping at top of the A pillar?

I think it would look daft running whole way along the roof tbh

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Exhausts on tractors etc go up the side of the cab with a heat shield and don't burn people.

If your doing that not better just stopping at top of the A pillar?

I think it would look daft running whole way along the roof tbh

I'd agree.

A stack would suffice, though still see it as unnecessary.

If you're wading that deep in a Diahatsu, you've got much bigger things to worry about than you're exhaust.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
I'd agree.

A stack would suffice, though still see it as unnecessary.

If you're wading that deep in a Diahatsu, you've got much bigger things to worry about than you're exhaust.

It'll probably rust away underneath/around you lol

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.