Whats the purpose of this ball?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

J_Mc_G

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza STi / ZX
Hi,

Quick q, whats the purpose of this vacumn type ball on the front of a 1.9 TDi engine. The pipe running into it pointed at from the back of the engine has been broken at some point and epoxied in but its sucking away. Was in getting work done (tandem oil/fuel pump) and performance is way down, turbo response is non-existent.

Cheers,
John

20150930_213401_zps7hdac242.jpg

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
cant really make it out but i would assume if it is rubber it is to prime the fuel system after doing a derv filter change

J_Mc_G

RMS Regular
OP
J_Mc_G
Drives
Impreza STi / ZX
This might be it:
The Vacuum Line that attaches to the reservoir connects to the N108 Relay and eventually is used for the boost control of the turbo. The Vacuum pump will have a hard time keeping up the vacuum, and potentially will have low power to the engine.

Need help identifying part - TDIClub Forums

J_Mc_G

RMS Regular
OP
J_Mc_G
Drives
Impreza STi / ZX
Cheers, I'll try and stuff it back in. I presume I can drive it (well the missus) in the interim to finding one. Do TPS keep the balls/lines or breakers anyone know?

J_Mc_G

RMS Regular
OP
J_Mc_G
Drives
Impreza STi / ZX
Bodged it in with some plastic and boost is back! Try and pick a new ball up tomorrow.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
They're around a tenner new from memory, and prone to split the ball or breaking the nipple that the pipe goes on to.

Order yourself some silicone vacuum pipe off eBay or the likes and replace your pipes 1 at a time, ensuring you only remove 1 pipe, measure and cut, then replace with new hose. Perished hoses and bad repairs cause serious problems with the VAG's of all ages, and it's so so common on them, especially around the top of the bulk head where most of the N75 valves are mounted and there's a spaghetti junction of hoses and T and Y pieces.

J_Mc_G

RMS Regular
OP
J_Mc_G
Drives
Impreza STi / ZX
New vacuum reservoir (at 27£! for a plastic ball) sorted it. thanks all.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.