E39 525i Auto

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
Only getting round to putting a members cars thread up now, not much to it to be honest. It's an Msport petrol automatic with 152k on it.

It's my first automatic and I love it, had a couple of small issues when I got it, rocker cover gasket, huuuuge air leak and some dodgy brakes but all sorted now and here is one pic of it in a rare clean state. It get used and the front bumper plays host to 36% of all stone chips in the UK

image.jpeg

It'll do the winter if I manage to not get bored of it, really would like a manual for some sideways fun over the winter but this will keep me out of trouble most of the time!

A.M.Q.R.

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GT TSI
Still look the part so they do these cars.

Where was the air leak as mine sounds as if it as a slight sucking when bonnet up but it could just be the sound of the idle control valve and injectors ticking

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Looks well. Would love to see it de-mudflapped and with some aggressive spacers on

Loved my 2 E39's. Watch out for overheating and general cooling issues...

Richy

RMS Regular
OP
Richy
Drives
E55
Still look the part so they do these cars.

Where was the air leak as mine sounds as if it as a slight sucking when bonnet up but it could just be the sound of the idle control valve and injectors ticking

Crank breather pipe, it was hugely obvious tho. Idle was bad and general crap running. Engine light is on now so that's another thing I need to chase!

Cheers @Gibonz, was toying with the idea of putting spacers on but really can't be bothered having to mess with arches etc, just wanted a comfy cruiser and this is it, albeit lowered slightly already

Richy

RMS Regular
OP
Richy
Drives
E55
So I've spotted something already, will stick the for sale ad up shortly!

Reactions: dub

mx5 turbo

RMS Regular
Drives
it hard
So I've spotted something already, will stick the for sale ad up shortly!

Spotted this on Gumtree, are they hard on the juice being a big bus with that engine? I'd looked at a 520 before and it didn't feel great.

Richy

RMS Regular
OP
Richy
Drives
E55
It's as hard as you want it to be tbh, it's as happy tiddling about around 28-30mpg as it is skiting about in Sport mode doing 23-25mpg.

I don't really buy cars for economy anyway so don't really keep much of an eye on it!

Richy

RMS Regular
OP
Richy
Drives
E55
Small update, still have the car after a half arsed attempt at selling it! Got the @Deemc treatment today, revamped it no end!

Note the lack of rear flaps, hedge took one off (oops) and the other had to go to even it up!

Toying with the idea of spacers, but gonna get new tyres all round first and sort a couple of very minor niggles. It hasn't give me one bit of trouble thus far and is now pushing on for the 160k miles. Owes me nothing at this stage so it's gonna stay for a while now I'd imagine unless a good swap/px deal comes up!!

Some pics of Dee's handy work

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Richy

RMS Regular
OP
Richy
Drives
E55
OK, gonna literally die of boredom driving this for much longer. Don't get me wrong, it's a good car and auto is handy but I'm bored. Need more paarr

Richy

RMS Regular
OP
Richy
Drives
E55
Big yoke is away!

Had an Accord type r lined up but it was too rough to consider buying so now I'm hitching a ride :mad:

Of course now that this is sold there is literally F all on gumtree that floats my boat in the ~£1500 price bracket!

Reactions: dub

j44nty

RMS Regular
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.