New Daily Beater Volvo V40

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
I know there are a few Volvo fans on here so thought I would share this. Not an exciting car but perfect for me to use while I'm living in England with work for the foreseeable future. The spec is:

2003 Volvo V40 1.9D SE
Heated Leather
Cruise Control
Climate Control
Upgraded sound system
Electric seats
Trip Computer
Winter Pack
Tow bar with twin electrics
MOT until July

It has 194k on it but still drives surprisingly well for its age and miles. The old 1.9 Renault lump isn't quick or refined but seems to be economical and pulls the auld bus around ok. Everything seems to work apart from park sensors, also someone has nicked a headlamp wiper off it which is bugging my OCD.

Plan is to just drive it and give it a good clean inside. It's very comfy and looks ok from a distance so am happy enough with it considering it was sub £500 :grinning:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Diesel, leather clad swedish estate with test and towbar for under 500 squid? Bargain.

Looks great. Happy beating!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Hard to beat something like that as a daily, Good choice (y)

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Thanks for the comments! Today was my first day really driving it and it actually goes pretty well although is sluggish in city driving. Spent most of the driving in city centre rush hour and reset the trip info and it still managed 44mpg so I'm very pleased.

Would any of the Volvo guys know why the footwell and boot lights don't come on when I open the door? I imagine it's just a fuse but if someone can confirm that they are linked it would be great. The interior roof lights all work ok. Very minor stuff but if it's a simple fix I will give it a go.

Jamie-g

RMS Regular
Might be fuse 15 if same on v70/s60 that's what happened my mates. (Don't take this the wrong way) but have you checked the bulbs? I have replaced my footwell lights twice on my v70. I Haven't got a boot light.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Might be fuse 15 if same on v70/s60 that's what happened my mates. (Don't take this the wrong way) but have you checked the bulbs? I have replaced my footwell lights twice on my v70. I Haven't got a boot light.

Very valid question to be fair. I'm in England at the minute and don't even have a screwdriver out with me :-( I popped one of the boot lights out and the bulb looked OK. It's been raining here and I have nowhere dry to get on the floor to try and pop the floor light out so I'm just really working on assumptions.

Jamie-g

RMS Regular
Snap!! good to hear that another rmser is tearing up England in another Volvo. Hope you get sorted.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Covered quite a lot of miles in the big old tank and it just keeps impressing me more and more. Still haven't worked out the interior lighting issue but that can wait until I have the time and energy to look at it properly. Had it back in Belfast for a week and on the longer journeys it won't go below 50mpg, also keep on looking for the heated seat button on my Golf GTI and being depressed when I remember it doesn't have them.

She got a good clean inside and out and removed some dark stains from the boot floor so quite pleased with how it looks now.

88069E2E-0867-4F3C-A925-A2FBF68A14F7_zpsegjydnw1.jpg

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Lotta car for 500 quid

In fairness I do almost feel a bit guilty for beating the guy I bought it off down on price over a slightly bubbly wing and a few scrapes on the body. It's a solid and honest thing and I plan on just giving it to my dad when I'm done with it instead of selling it on.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Quick update on the Volvo. One of headlights started to mist up very heavily inside and the chrome reflector inside was starting to deteriorate so I bit the bullet and ordered black headlamps and indicators from a sport model to replace them. While doing that I also ordered a replacement headlamp wiper as the missing one was annoying me.

Since getting it all I have done is replaced the missing parcel shelf and sorted the interior electrics so now all boot lights and floorwell light now work. Will be taking her on a few long trips in the new year and am looking forward to clocking a lot more miles up. Will post pics up once I have updated the front end. Just need to be careful not to plough too much money in to an old runabout.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Quite a lot has happened with this car since last year. I went back to England in Jan after the Christmas break and when driving out of my apartment block I put my foot on the brake pedal which hit the floor with nothing happening. Diagnosed the problem as a leaking rear caliper and the other side looked badly corroded so ordered a pair. Went to fit the new calipers and when jacking up the rear she decided to snap a front spring. Again the other side looked badly corroded so a new pair of springs went in to her.

With all this fixed I kept racking up the miles until I moved back to Belfast and brought it home with me. With no need for a second car I sold it quickly to a close friend and thought that was the end of my time with the Volvo. A month later and it hasn't moved a wheel at my mates driveway and he asked if I wanted to buy it back as he couldn't insure it and to be honest I missed the auld bus way too much so a deal was done and she's mine again!

No idea what the hell I will use it for other than camping trips and getting garden or DIY stuff. Here's a couple of pics of when I was moving home and managed to fit a full apartment worth of stuff in to the back lol.

Bit of a boring thread for a boring car but I have become quite attached to the cheap runabout.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Something about a car that only stands you a few hundred quid but still keeps on going, they become like an old friend.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Tell me about it lol.
Volvo looks great

She's rough around the edges but not bad given the age and miles. Think I will take a trip to Donegal in her soon and do a few road trips. I just got a brand new lease car last month and I'm limited to 12k a year miles so might just use this to keep the mileage off the merc.

Tempted to sell if the price was right but for now I will just enjoy cruising around in comfort.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
Well it's coming up to MOT time and I was worried that I was going to get underneath the car and find out it needed a lot of work. To my surprise though all seems not too bad. Bit of rust in places and looking a bit worn but better than what I expected

Alignment is way out so needs 2 tyres and the only other obvious issue is the OSR brake pipe has seen better days but may still be ok for the test. Will set the headlamp alignment and throw her in and see what they find. Not expecting a 13yr old 200,000 mile car to pass first time but I'm now hopeful she will see another year on the road.

Will consider selling it again at the end of the summer so if someone wants a bargain car then watch this space :grinning:

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
That's her through the MOT so road legal for another year. Thanks to @marcdh for the partworn tyres that meant the total spend on MOT prep was a whopping £30.

Really not sure what to do with the car now. Family are trying to convince me to sell it but I'm quite attached to it now for some unexplainable reason. Will keep it another month or 2 at least anyway then might offer it for sale as a decent winter runabout for someone.

Oh and of course the obligatory MOT ramp shot lol!

_Stu_

RMS Regular
OP
_Stu_
I get the feeling this thing will never die! It just takes whatever is thrown at it. Going to work on the rear brake pipes this week when I'm off work. It passed mot ok but the tester did suggest I paint them to stop it getting any worse so want to get it done while the weather is warm (supposedly).

Cheers for the comments guys. It's a car that will never set anyone's world on fire but is one of the best motors I have ever owned. It's strange that I found myself driving this more often than my old Golf GTI :-/

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.