Aggressive Acceleration

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Was out for a pootle in the wife's brothers E39 M5 yesterday and I was pulling out of a junction in Dungannon and I have to admit that the thing is quite loud, but I only revved it to about 3k in 1st and then kept it at 25mph. Within seconds, a policeman was waving his arms and signalled for me to pull in.

He then proceeded to check out the car, tyres, insurance, etc and naturally everything was fine, but he then went on to warn me about my 'aggressive acceleration'. Needless to say, I was baffled at what he meant and he told me that even though I wasn't speeding and that it was during the middle of the day, he wanted to give me a verbal warning.

He is allowed to do this? I broke no laws, was perfectly road-legal and as far as I am concerned, stopping me was completely un-justified.

Opinions???

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Was out for a pootle in the wife's brothers E39 M5 yesterday and I was pulling out of a junction in Dungannon and I have to admit that the thing is quite loud, but I only revved it to about 3k in 1st and then kept it at 25mph. Within seconds, a policeman was waving his arms and signalled for me to pull in.

He then proceeded to check out the car, tyres, insurance, etc and naturally everything was fine, but he then went on to warn me about my 'aggressive acceleration'. Needless to say, I was baffled at what he meant and he told me that even though I wasn't speeding and that it was during the middle of the day, he wanted to give me a verbal warning.

He is allowed to do this? I broke no laws, was perfectly road-legal and as far as I am concerned, stopping me was completely un-justified.

Opinions???

Had something similar happen before.

Honda with stupidly loud exhaust. Bit generous with the throttle leaving my mum's house. Hadn't even got out of 1st gear, came round a corner and there were 3 police cars parked at a house. Policeman waved me down and said something similar. Just to warn me about the acceleration. Checked the tax disc on the window and let me on my way.

Didn't lose much sleep over it tbh.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Let them tell you off, nothing is recorded or official - I have had this happen to me a few times, once in my S4 blasting off the lights at yorkgate to get up to speed on the M2. Caught up with me on the M5 carrick bound and just proceeded to tell me off. Didn't speed in any areas, that they saw :p

Vtec Phil

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2
had the same thing happen in belfast city centre late one night never broke the speed limit (Aggressive Acceleration) and got pulled over he tried to give me a verbal warning i just asked him have i broken the law and he said no so i told him that if i havent i dont need to list to him and put the window up and drove on. he wasnt even traffic branch was a fire arms team driving a Audi S8 (Jobsworth)

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I had a similar incident in Derry many years ago when I had my Integra Type R, which had some exhaust and manifold mods and was quite loud at times. I wasn't driving fast at all but was pulled in by a copper and accused of doing so, probably just because the car sounded noisy. He had actually aimed the camera at me so when I asked him to show me what speed I was doing and he replied 27mph (in a 30 zone), I laughed a little and asked him what exactly he meant when he said I was going too fast. Spluttered a bit for a while and then tried to find something else to catch me out on - however tyres were perfect, car had MOT and was insured/taxed and so on.

Eventually told me he was going to penalise me for having my front fog lights on. I said "good luck with that" and he went off on one about giving him cheek and so on, and how my 'attitude' wasn't doing me any favours. I let him finish, then explained that my car didn't have any front fog lights, and that he was actually looking at the side lights which are set quite low in the bumper in an Integra. Also mentioned I'd be happy to explain that to the judge though he may consider it a waste of his time :p

Long and short of it, I eventually drove off and heard nothing more.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
OP
Mr.Mint
Drives
Many Things.
Thanks for the response, but I am still pissed that he stopped me for something so stupid.

There are plenty of people driving about that are far from law-abiding an seemingly have no hassle from them at all. I should have nailed the fecking thing and gave him something to talk about!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
The joys of driving nice cars, attract all types of attention good and bad :worried:

Even security in work know me better now because I drive a bright green car compared to the S3, Porsche or S4 lol

EP82JM

RMS Regular
But you arent going to court and he hasnt gave you any points,no? If thats the case then what is there to be annoyed about? lol.

Vtec Phil

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2
i think that he's annoyed that he got pull for no reason just so the cop could have a go for not breaking the Law when the cop could be out ther catching some one who is

i know thats what annoyed me about it when i was pulled

EP82JM

RMS Regular
I got pulled for it before as well, while it isnt against the law i know i probably wouldnt have done it if i knew the cops were there,which id assume anyone who "aggressively accelerates" would agree with,so id be happy enough to take the warning and just get on with it. As opposed to the talking i got about how the lovely blonde in my passenger seats head could end up severed in my footwell...yup.

therock

RMS Regular
I wouldn't really be too worried. I'd likely have given him an "Aye, dead on, seeya" prior to my exit.

Plus the caps don't actually need any justification to stop you when you're driving

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
OP
Mr.Mint
Drives
Many Things.
But you arent going to court and he hasnt gave you any points,no? If thats the case then what is there to be annoyed about? lol.

i think that he's annoyed that he got pull for no reason just so the cop could have a go for not breaking the Law when the cop could be out ther catching some one who is

i know thats what annoyed me about it when i was pulled

I just think it was un-called for and as they have more important things to be dealing with, there time could be better spent elsewhere!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Even security in work know me better now because I drive a bright green car compared to the S3, Porsche or S4 lol
When I worked in the main Queens Island site, I was leaving late-ish one night after 9pm and gave it some beans across the car park. When I got to the main gate, the barrier stayed down and I got a bollocking for 'speeding' across an empty car park during which he says 'what if a child had stepped out in front of you?' to which I asked him had he let any children in through the front gate recently. Went down well..:p

Got told off earlier this year for aggressive acceleration after leaving the roundabout outside birmingham airport 'fully lit' through frustration after spending an hour trying to travel the last mile to the airport because of something on at the NEC. There were 5 cops on the roundabout right on the entry to the airport which was completely empty instead of one or two trying to prevent the complete snarl up at the next one down. I consider myself lucky for getting a slap on the wrist for that one, silly boy.

Edit: Cops or in fact anyone else are so used to whisper quiet diesels that a noisy petrol car is naturally asumed to be 'flyin'

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Just random luck of the draw and all that. The (very) few times I have been randomly pulled over, generally they have been courteous in my experience.

No idea if "aggressive acceleration" is illegal or not, but obviously there is a time and place for everything.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Here's a question which I'd love to see answered in court : define the difference between acceleration, or even fast acceleration .............. and aggressive acceleration.

Is it when you plant the loud pedal with a face like this?

ANGRY-DRIVER.jpg

johnm

RMS Regular
Even the cops know this is a joke of a thing.
I was selling off my old DVD's years ago and a fella in Derry was happy to pay the petrol money to drop them up in the skyline.
Last overtaking lane coming into the city was coming to an end and there we're three estates in front of me so I 'aggressively accelerated' past all three.....the last one being an unmarked Passat lol!
Lights on and over I pulled, I got out of the car laughing, caught red handed and the first words out of the guys mouth where 'that was a bit of aggressive acceleration there, any need for it?' joked about with them for a bit, slap on the wrists and off I went. Sound lads and could have gave me a ticket very very easily.

I wouldn't worry about it man.

st6phen

RMS Regular
Drives
anything MOT'd
Just a standard jealous p***k with nothing better to do. Stamping his authority, just so you know that he's a 'bigger man' than you. Tit. Have had that sort of nonsense before,I just calm myself down and be satisfied in the knowledge that I'm not a knob jockey like some of clowns out there. Although others may say different!

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I suppose (if we're honest) "agressive acceleration" has the potential to spin the wheels which could result in loss of control.

Maybe he was just letting you know to calm down .

Just driving the car has the potential to turn you into a serial killer by mowing cops down for being arseholes too....but that didnt happen either.

It could happen...but it didnt.

Again a case of cops paying attention to someone not causing any harm, and ignoring those who have caused harm.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Just driving the car has the potential to turn you into a serial killer by mowing cops down for being arseholes too....but that didnt happen either.

It could happen...but it didnt.

Again a case of cops paying attention to someone not causing any harm, and ignoring those who have caused harm.
How was he to know the difference ? To me and you it just "giving it the beans" but to others it's raking about. I'm not defending it , just try to see it for the other side.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.