Performance on a budget

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Matti_f

RMS Regular
Drives
van,Tucson,TTid
As the title says what would you buy and build if you have a tight budget for a fun and quick car. Obviously looking at cars that are cheap to aquire easy worked on and parts readily available.

My mind springs to most Vag stuff with a 1.8t fitted eg. 225 audi tt or Leon cupras etc... Clio 172/182 however most well looked after examples hold their value,

Anyone any outside the box ideas ?

MarkM

RMS Regular
I don't think its possible to have more fun on a budget than in an RS Clio lol

Agreed :grinning:
e34803a8c516dde453ba02100d3597ed_zps52uide4v.jpg

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
It depends what you like the most, handling, acceleration or high speed. For me it's the feeling of being pushed back in the seat so it would probably be a turbo,d 4wd car for me....it's hard to look past an early Impreza Sti or evo3 with a few choice mods, being lightweight you have power, acceleration and handling all in one package.

Matti_f

RMS Regular
OP
Matti_f
Drives
van,Tucson,TTid
@warren plan is both a car and bike hench the "budget" aspect haha,

@big_pete do they take the absue well being french always had me with a little doubt in the back of my head,

I had been thinking of impreza,clio 172/182, vag 1.8t, or GSI astras with the 2.0t in it.

brendy

RMS Regular
Turbo almost every time for me. After handling mods, you can spend thousands on a naturally aspirated engine and get very little increase. Turbo engines (or SC) respond far better as long as you know its limits.
That said a big engine in a light chassis can be fun too.

MarkM

RMS Regular
@warren plan is both a car and bike hench the "budget" aspect haha,

@big_pete do they take the absue well being french always had me with a little doubt in the back of my head,

Mine's just finished a full year of kirky track days, despite a few minor issues (alternator, crank sensor) it drives there, gets hammered all day and drives home, it's an '02 :grinning: it's impossible to have more fun for the money, well, you know what I mean......

Last edited:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I absolutely loved my 172. It is by far and away the most fun car to drove I have ever owned and I've owned big power imprezas, countless m3's etc

They do give niggly troubles but they are simple to work on and parts are cheap.

Honestly I can't wait to have another as a toy some day

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
Mine's just finished a full year of kirky track days, despite a few minor issues (alternator, crank sensor) it drives there, gets hammered all day and drives home, it's an '02 :grinning: it's impossible to have more fun for the money, well, you know what I mean......

Going by the fun this man has then a wee Clio would do the trick:grinning:

s3_trev

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 8P
Id say its going to be Japanese or French to the rescue here. Some good recommendations above. VAG wouldnt really stand out to me as performance on a budget unless you buy an old R32 and throw a big turbo onto it or something, and even then its not going to go round a track like a Clio for instance. It would go forward quite well though lol.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Sorry lads, as great as the RS Clio's are you can have as much or maybe even more fun for even less cash. Its called a MX5. Itll do as many track days as a Clio except it won't break down. Plus take it to the local private carpark and you can have hours of banter all on your own. Or out the road roof down with the MRS. Brilliant fun all for a bag of sand, or less.

You'll also pick up a e46 330i for absolutely frig all nowadays. 230+ bhp, RWD and you'll get one cheap. Mate of mine got an early sport for £600 odd and he's having a right laugh with it.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
Mk5 GTI Golf? Some hitting the market for less than 4K now. If you can look past potential rust issues I think they're a great car.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
In fairness its rare for them to break down but it does happen... some are 25+ years old now and rubber hoses, wiring looms and sensors, etc perish. Of all the drifting and track days I've done I've had one hose go and a brake caliper seize. That's 4 years worth of serious beatings with very little drama. That's not bad by anyone's standard, especially for something that's 24 years old and shown no sympathy at all.

They're not fast though.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
If I was in the market for a cheap fun car it would be a MK5 GTI then a Clio RS if I needed something cheaper.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
That merc is pretty epic, can imagine it could be heartbreaking to look after though!

I would agree with @Coog on the mx5, great fun though not fast. In a similar vein what about a 205 xs if you could get one or a s1 106 rallye. Not overly cheap for a good one but not likely to lose money and again not outrightly fast but great fun. A clio 172 cup would be good too once you bin the seats and put proper buckets in.

56oval

RMS Regular
that merc confuses the hell out of me lol. If i see the pictures right the turbo and chargecooler is in the boot?
How the hell do you get the oil back to the engine? Sump and scavenge pump?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.