Iris Blue Porsche 968 Sport

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Didn't get round to doing a thread for this car.

It popped up for sale in April and I snapped it up quickly, I have always wanted a 968 and they don't come up too often in Sport or Club Sport guise.

It was in a rather sorry state when I got it with no MOT or tax, there wasn't a panel on it that hadn't been marked in some way, there was rust around the windscreen where someone had made a balls of replacing the screen, the side skirts had been removed to check for rust and never put back on, brakes were all knackered, battery was done, drop link was knackered and and it generally just needed some proper TLC.

Initially I was only going to tidy it up and enjoy it, but it pretty much ended up a full restoration job. To begin with it went off to get the oily bits sorted:

Discs/pads all round
New droplinks
New power steering pump
Wiper motor refurb
New battery
Mahle Air/oil/fuel filters
NGK Iridium plugs
Millers EE oil
Millers Nano 75w90 transaxle oil refresh
Gates timing belt & balance belts and INA rollers

After the mechanical bits got sorted, the car went off to AG Automotive in Portstewart for a repsray. I had considered some various colour changes, but the cost of changing the colour was way more than I had to spend on the car, so we agreed to just do it the same colour, Iris Blue.

So AG stripped the whole car, glass out etc and got stuck in. Entire car done using De Beer products, new windscreen put in, wheel refurb with new lightweight wheel bolts, all window/door/sunroof/bumper seals replaced with new ones, mirror base gaskets and door handle gaskets replaced too, and to finish it off a nice shiny new Porsche badge for the bonnet!

The original front bumper was in poor condition too, so I managed to source a second hand one from a guy Ciaran Woods (Woods-911) in Maghera, who had broken one for parts a few years back and still had some bits left over. Lucky strike there!

So here are the pics, going from when I picked it up, right through the repair process until how it sits now.

When I bought it:

MOT Day.

Off to AG Automotive:

In primer:

Paint:

Last edited:

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Looks fantastic Graeme, Alan did an amazing job on the paint.

My old boss used to have a red club sport in Ballymoney around 4/5 years ago, it had the cage etc in it looked to be quite clean too, think it went to England eventually.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Cracking car, and the paint job is absolutely perfect in the flesh. Definitely a keeper!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Great work! Can you tell us a bit more about what Sport spec entails? Any engine bay shots?

I'll check and see if I have any.

As for the Sport spec, the basic history of the 968 is:

Coupe came out in UK, didn't sell very well as it was very expensive with airbag, electric windows, leather seats, rear seats, sunroof, electric windows etc.

Porsche then released the Club Sport throughout Europe with CS chassis number specific to the model, which was about £5k less than the standard Coupe. It had manual windows, manual boot release, no air con, no sunroof, cloth Recaro lightweight bucket seats and no rear seats, lower suspension, Club Sport steering wheel with no airbag, lighter Cup 2 alloys.

Most UK customers spec'd their Club Sports with electric windows, Recaro 'comfort' cloth seats and rear seats, sunroof and electric boot release. So Porsche UK brought in a batch of Club Sport cars, which came off the CS production line but had the electric windows, boot release, sunroof, rear seats and Recaro cloth sport seats and the model was badged for the UK only market as a Sport. Identical in pretty much every way to the CS and has CS chassis number. Any Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche Germany will refer to a UK Sport as a Club Sport. They are actually rarer than a CS too, but crucially they simply don't have that halo model name.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Colour is awesome - why do our spary booths not look like that in work? :worried:

Great looking car!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.