Alpine Headunit in Mercedes clk

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Can anyone tell me why my alpine Headunit won't turn on? I know nothing about car electrics.

The guy in Halfords told me that the big connector is for steering wheel controls and shouldn't make a difference. The other two fit into my harness already, but when I turn the ignition, it doesn't come on. What is the yellow wire?

Cheers.
20160206_140825.jpg
20160206_140825.jpg

Sorry if the photo is massive, I'm on my phone

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
if you trace the red and yellow wires back from the head unit side to the car side, through the 8-way connector, you will see that one of the wires doesn't carry through the connector...........

The RED flying lead with bullet (just out of the picture) - unplug the yellow bullet wires and connect the YELLOW from the head unit to the spare red - the head unit should power on, but will not power down with the ignition. Get an adult to help you find an ignition live though and all will be fine. Yellow wire should have battery live, and Red should carry the switched live to the head unit. As Wicked says, the fag lighter supply (black from memory) should be ignition live.

Make sure you tape up that bare wire before you finish..... it's making my hair stand on end........ ;)

Del

Father Stack

RMS Regular
OP
Father Stack
Drives
VRS
Cheers, for the advice. I've no idea how to get the ignition live from the cigarette lighter, and the last time I pissed around with wires behind the dash my mr2 wouldn't start for weeks. I think I'll leave it until I go to my folks' next and get my da to do it. He's handy with wires and stuff.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.