Brilliant Black 2009 Audi A3 S-Line Sportback Black Edition 1.8TFSI

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Mouthful!

New car for my wife. She has been driving her 2010 Nissan Micra for the last 6 years and 50k miles so it was time for a change and her thinking ahead and it being a 4/5 year car, the A3 Sportback ticked all the right boxes.

Initially she wanted a VW Tiguan but for her budget you were looking at high mile diesels and the 1.4T were not worth looking at. I ideally wanted her to get a Mk5 Golf GTI 5dr or a Leon FR but she wasn't fussed hence the A3!

I was then set the task - no point in diesels, no point in the 1.6NA or the 1.4TFSI so that left the 1.8T or the 2.0T which narrowed down the search considerably considering the spec that I/we were after.

I had a deep sea blue s-line sportback 2.0T lined up in Hursts to go see which cam on the market a couple of weeks ago but then I noticed a 1.8TFSI Sportback S-Line on SERE website, spoke to @Harry at length, had a look at the car, blah blah blah and did the deal. Bonus when we arrived to view it was that it was a Black Edition :cool:

So:

2009 1.8TFSI 160bhp
Brilliant Black
S-Line
Black Edition (18" wheels, black grill, tints, black head lining, black trim, black roof rails)
FBMFSW
Bose
Parking Sensors
Half Leather
Arm rest
DRL

A3.jpg

Big thanks to SERE who were fantastic - bent over backwards for us and did more to the car than expected. The overall experience from introduction to "health to drive" was excellent and would 100% return.

Plans for this car are:

Detail with @big_pete
RNS-E
Bluetooth
S3 Pedals
S3 Mirrors

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Thats nice. I really like the 1.8tfsi engine, nippy for what it is and doesn't seem to have a drinking problem with oil. My wife has one in her tt and I was pleasantly surprised when I drove it with how nice it is to cruise about in

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Surprised it's got getting Revo'd, lol. Looks lovely.You really do like the PQ35 platform cars!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
That's a lovely looking car, something like that would be perfect for my wife as her daily.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Very nice! Great spec, nice bonus that it's a Black Edition!

Your heart will be broke keeping it clean, my Missus has a black DS3 and it's impossible to keep it clean!

My mate bought a nice grey A7 off SERE recently and he also spoke highly of them. :grinning:

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Surprised it's got getting Revo'd, lol. Looks lovely.You really do like the PQ35 platform cars!

PQ35?? Twice the power is enough for her! Haven't even Revo'd mine yet lol

Very nice! Great spec, nice bonus that it's a Black Edition!

Your heart will be broke keeping it clean, my Missus has a black DS3 and it's impossible to keep it clean!

I thought the same with the Porsche and this too prior to purchase but I will survive :grinning:

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
That looks pretty good and (y) for not getting a diesel, quite like the a3 sportback shape, as some one said to me once, black is such a rewarding colour on a car, the upkeep of it not so much. The wife has a black car as well, :worried: horrendous thing to keep clean.

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
Lovely! I always fancied one of these!

@Boydie I have a Bluetooth kit for sale if it's the correct version you need.

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Lovely! I have the diesel equivalent sportback in the same colour with the rotor wheels. I do prefer your wheels mind you.

Great driving car. I prefer the sportback, must say

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Good to see it finally on your driveway. It looks a great example and nice upgrade. I pretty much sold all the parts you are after (n)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Very nice Boydo. For some reason I was picturing a crappy pre-facelift SE when you mentioned it!

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
@Lyons lol Clare would have been none the wiser. She was linking me to A3's and within seconds I was saying "no!"

She didn't know why but she is happy with this so my patience paid off.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
@Lyons lol Clare would have been none the wiser. She was linking me to A3's and within seconds I was saying "no!"

She didn't know why but she is happy with this so my patience paid off.

Some women just don't get it lol. My wife's the same but I always insist on the right spec to start with lol

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
It got a serious clean yesterday which allowed me to familiarize myself with it. The paint work needs attention - looks like it has seen 7 years worth of Romanians, few stained bird shiits (which I've sorted), couple of minor dents etc...

It is booked in with PMG for the end of May for full correction and ceramic coating - looking forward to the finished article :cool:

Drove down to Dublin and back on Saturday which was perfect for her to get used to the car, it went very well - great solid car!

Changed all the nut covers as they had been bathed in acid all their days and had been painted so now back to OEM look
Cleaned under the engine bay as well as it has that nasty back to black all over it.

Now just going to be a labour of love keeping it clean from here on for the next 3/4/5 years lol

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Not being biased at all but she met me there in work and watching it drive up the road it looked class - very happy with it! Sounds decent too! :cool:

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Nice purchase Boydie im sure Clare is over the moon!

Youll be in the good books ;)

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Noticed when cleaning it last week it was missing some trim on the B pillar

Quick call round to Audi Parts with the reg number, some searching on their database and we found the part, expensive at £1.70 lol

So this is the area needing covered - slots in at the top and is held in place below

IMG_5678.JPG

Noticed though that the ball end had broken inside, typical, thought this small job would turn into a pain in the ass as usual

IMG_5680.JPG

Thankfully the locator was plastic/rubber so it popped out, cleared it and put it back in place

Part in question:

IMG_5679.JPG

And fitted:

IMG_5681.JPG

Simple little replacement that makes the difference IMO! I think in 2010 or maybe 2011 the A3 had the option of came standard with gloss black b-pillars. Hers are slightly stained for what ever reason so I will have to research them and see about fitting them.

Managed to win a bid on eBay for a bluetooth module and wiring so thats the next project, just need a microphone now for the car.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Was away for the weekend there in Madrid and was a perfect opportunity to leave the car off to @big_pete for paint correction.

I have had CQuartz on my last 3 cars and the finish has been perfect. My Scirocco was done in September 2015 and to this day it still beads like crazy when water hits it and not a single swirl or marr on the paint :cool: - a well worth while investment particularly on a black car and will make my job of cleaning it a hell of a lot easier.

Pictures are just off my phone but the shine and gloss from the Audi paint work is exceptional! Great job done by the lads at PMG.

A3.1.jpg

When we bought the car the badges were black so I asked SERE to replace them which they did. I asked them to leave the rear off as I knew I was going to PMG - having the rear badge back on makes a huge difference but think it needs de-rear wipered. Anyone know if I have the facelift rear lights? Not as clued up on the Sportbacks as I am with the 3 door.

A3.2.jpg

I also managed to get her a bluetooth module off eBay. I need to buy a microphone which I hope to do later this week and get that installed ASAP.

Future plans now are:

- RNSE
- Reg plate - have my eye on an AEZ plate but will see
- Possibly S3 brushed mirrors to break up the black
- I have 8mm spacers in the garage so will see what they look like on
- Maybe add cruise but tbh I doubt she would use it
- S3 pedals if a decently priced set comes up online

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.