My First Jeep(ish) Experience - A Titan Silver BMW X5 3.0 Auto

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

JTDi

RMS Regular
I've had this a few months now and forgot to put it up!

It's a comfy big wagon, awesome to drive, and isn't that bad on fuel compared to what I was told! £90 fills it from empty and that'll get me 500-ish miles!

I bought it like this:

image.jpeg

With horribly finished 20" replica wheels (look like they had been re-polished with a brillopad), fitted with the cheapest of the cheap tyres.

First thing was to have it colour coded, and while it was away having that done, I picked these up:

image.jpeg

Brand New (well, delivery miles on them) Genuine 21" X6M Style 375 Wheels with Dunlop Sportmaxx Tyres. They were a small fortune but I love them! I could've went down the route of 22" replica wheels but jumped at these when a good friend told me they were for sale!

The one issue with them was that the X6M has a smaller Centrebore on the rear than the front, so I had to get adapters, which were 20mm and left the rears sitting wayyyyyy outside the arch like so (picture taken from when the X5 was in with my good friend David Tweed for a paint correction and swirl removal):

image.jpeg

So off the wheels went to have the Centrebore machined to the correct size (y)

Next up were the small wheelbarrow-handle style exhaust tips (you can see one in the above picture, they looked silly IMO), they had to go :laughing:

image.jpeg

I had the above 4" slash-cut tips fitted by AM Customs, our local Powerflow guy.

Then I felt the jeep was a little lazy, and after a few weeks driving I started to get intermittent DPF fault coming up on the dash, so I sent it off to have the DPF gutted, which was massively blocked up. Then once that was gutted, re-sealed and refitted, I had the jeep remapped. It now does around an extra 50-ish miles to a tank of fuel, and is so so so much more responsive to drive!

I think that'll do it .... For now! Lol although I may fit the Aero arches at some stage :grinning:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Lovely jeep now with the wee finishing touches you've made

JTDi

RMS Regular
OP
JTDi
Superb looking, especially with your additions.

I wouldn't go with the aero arches, as I think they look out of place personally

Yeah to be honest I haven't touched it now for about a month so that's probably as much as I'm going to do to it! I usually blast all the mods / changes all at once and then once I'm done that's it lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Big fan of these, been considering 1 next. Though I would've hoped 30mpg or just over it would've been good, not 26!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I meant in standard guise, they don't come remapped!

I'd say it would have been doing 30mpg prior to the DPF issue though. My brothers X5 would have been doing those figures with mixed driving, though it was a slightly earlier non-DPF model. Same goes for the TD6 Range Rover. They'll return 30mpg easily enough providing you aren't trying to drive it like a WR1...

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Your tastes really have taken a sideward step over the past few months...."insert wink!"

What about the E30?

JTDi

RMS Regular
OP
JTDi
Your tastes really have taken a sideward step over the past few months...."insert wink!"

What about the E30?

Sideward step?? Explain yourself lol

Lol I bought a Ducati, an 899 Panigale there, and the X5 and the S15, I've been a bit busy! Need to get my finger out lol

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Nice jeep, but my days the bike....

Ducatis are just sublime looking machines, that dog cracks me up though he appears to photobomb all of your pics lol.

JTDi

RMS Regular
OP
JTDi
Your recent dubious car choices have been forgiven ;) . For that is just pure stunning !!!!!! How does it ride in comparison to your last, or in fact any other bike?

Haha I'm just diversifying, can't always be buying the same thing! Thanks dude :laughing: It's amazing to ride, not as much raw power as the R1 (150bhp I think it is compared to the 185-ish of the R1) ... but it is more than enough power, it's amazingly responsive, and corners like its on rails! And the noise! Oh the noise :heart:

JTDi

RMS Regular
OP
JTDi
Nice jeep, but my days the bike....

Ducatis are just sublime looking machines, that dog cracks me up though he appears to photobomb all of your pics lol.

IMO they look as good as they ride, it's a beautiful piece of machinery! Lol Hugo does make the odd photo appearance :laughing:

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Haha I'm just diversifying, can't always be buying the same thing! Thanks dude :laughing: It's amazing to ride, not as much raw power as the R1 (150bhp I think it is compared to the 185-ish of the R1) ... but it is more than enough power, it's amazingly responsive, and corners like its on rails! And the noise! Oh the noise :heart:

They do say variety is the spice of life, and you certainly aren't messing about on that front. Great selection of motors you've been through! Keep up the good work! :laughing:

JTDi

RMS Regular
OP
JTDi
They do say variety is the spice of life, and you certainly aren't messing about on that front. Great selection of motors you've been through! Keep up the good work! :laughing:

Lol I like that old saying myself, and it's true!

Life would be boring without a little variety! :laughing:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.