Audi Joint / Wishbone help

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

midgelfc

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 630D GT
Hi, was wondering if someone would be able to help me out and offer some advice.... was driving last night and clipped a curb quiet badly at some speed on my passenger side, immediately noticed that the alignment was out and pulls very badly to the left... if i want to drive straight i have to angle the steering wheel this far to the right!

NO6QJEm.jpg

Immediately started to think that i've buggered the suspension or wishbone, however i jacked the car up there now and can see no bends or anything glaring that would suggest it's that... now the only thing i did see was the following

The below pic is the passenger side i clipped last night and also the side the car pulls to (left).. to me this looks grand no visible damage.

OijKZLR.jpg

Decided to jack the drivers side up and take a look (the side i didn't clip) and found the below leakage, which i assume is the joint that holds the wheel on?
dCgI4LN.jpg

Decided to clean it up to get a better look and this is the result, no real damage, but can see some slight oil leakage when i move the rubber seal??

UykMT4l.jpg

Real kick in the teeth is that i have MOT on Thursday fs, i'm guessing any sort of leakage like this around the joints is going to constitute a fail? :worried:

midgelfc

RMS Regular
OP
midgelfc
Drives
BMW 630D GT
Cv joint split just replace boot.
Get the allignment done probably just been knocked out
Cheers Wes, Does the CV Joint sit behind the black rubber housing?

also would you know if that's an MOT fail? imagine the chances of getting it replaced before Thursday will be slim :worried:

wes

RMS Regular
Cv boot holds the grease in to protect the cv joint between hub and driveshaft its a fail at mot, if you cant get it replaced as a quick short term you could clean the grease off and try super glueing to get through mot

midgelfc

RMS Regular
OP
midgelfc
Drives
BMW 630D GT
Cv boot holds the grease in to protect the cv joint between hub and driveshaft its a fail at mot, if you cant get it replaced as a quick short term you could clean the grease off and try super glueing to get through mot
Cheers Wes, one last question since you seem like you know what you're talking about, any idea how much (ball park figure) a garage would charge so i know i'm not being ripped off :confounded:

wes

RMS Regular
If you can get it replaced i wouldnt say it would be too dear but wouldnt know price to be honest at a guess id say £50 should sort it

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
It's been split for a while by the look of the surroundings. It wasn't a result of your latest skill bypass.

i changed one of these in a Passat and the kit was about £10 -£15 I think. I spent about 2 hours farting about at it myself with the help of a plastic cone stretcher. So probably an hour's time for a pro.

But I did get one through an MOT with some superglue, but it won't be a reliable job.

midgelfc

RMS Regular
OP
midgelfc
Drives
BMW 630D GT
It's been split for a while by the look of the surroundings. It wasn't a result of your latest skill bypass.

i changed one of these in a Passat and the kit was about £10 -£15 I think. I spent about 2 hours farting about at it myself with the help of a plastic cone stretcher. So probably an hour's time for a pro.

But I did get one through an MOT with some superglue, but it won't be a reliable job.
Cheers for the info, i would usually do things like this myself, as cleaned out the EGR & ASV recently on the car, but unfortunately with the looming MOT i don't have the time :worried:.

When you say superglue do you actually mean just bog standard glue around the rubber housing?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Yeah, standard super glue. And if your asking for a new part it's called a "CV joint boot kit", not a "rubber housing".

You need to have the rubber super clean from grease including the edges of the crack, which is hard bearing mind that it's got grease inside. Then you glue the edges of the crack together. To be honest if you have a day or two, it's best just to get it replaced.
They are a slight PITA to do yourself if it's your first one and you're pushed for time.

midgelfc

RMS Regular
OP
midgelfc
Drives
BMW 630D GT
On the rubber boot where it is split

Yeah, standard super glue. And if your asking for a new part it's called a "CV joint boot kit", not a "rubber housing".

You need to have the rubber super clean from grease including the edges of the crack, which is hard bearing mind that it's got grease inside. Then you glue the edges of the crack together. To be honest if you have a day or two, it's best just to get it replaced.
They are a slight PITA to do yourself if it's your first one and you're pushed for time.
Cheers for the info guys, thinking if i can superglue it and get it through MOT then can replace it properly over the weekend (y). Will see how i get on tomorrow with cleaning and gluing it.

pablo

RMS Moderator
You can adjust the tracking on the hit side if the track rod end isnt seized. Just adjust it until it drives straight with the steering wheel straight. Slacken the lock nut then take it someplace quiet and adjust/drive until its right. You shouldnt need to jack it up or anything just turn the wheel for access. 1/4 turn adjustments ish only takes small amounts.

RevT

RMS Regular
A CV boot being replaced is a handy job, £10-20 for the part and probably £20 for labour at most. Get the alignment done then.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
image.jpeg

You look to have bent that track rod.

Take that to a mechanic before you trail the tyres to pieces. It will need the track rod replaced at around £20/25, the track rod end at around £12/15 and then the CV boot on the drivers side at around £10. You'll also have to get the tracking/alignment done after the new arms has been fitted, so add £20 or so for that.

Labour wise, depends who you're taking the car to. Anything from £60-100 wouldn't be out of the question for labour alone.

midgelfc

RMS Regular
OP
midgelfc
Drives
BMW 630D GT
View attachment 113090

Take that to a mechanic before you trail the tyres to pieces. It will need the track rod replaced at around £20/25, the track rod end at around £12/15 and then the CV boot on the drivers side at around £10. You'll also have to get the tracking/alignment done after the new arms has been fitted, so add £20 or so for that.

Labour wise, depends who you're taking the car to. Anything from £60-100 wouldn't be out of the question for labour alone.
Good spot on that... have noticed with the steering wheel centered that the side i hit the op end of the wheel protrudes out at the top so like this / compared to the driver side which sits straight like this I

Luckily enough the two front tyres actaully need replaced which i am getting done tomorrow in Armstrong Beattie, will ask them if they can take a look at the CV boot and track rod end... If i had more time i would do it myself as i changed the track rod ends on my old cars!

Cheers for the advice Nicky (y)

dervsport

RMS Regular
View attachment 113090

Spot on there Nicky.

midgelfc

RMS Regular
OP
midgelfc
Drives
BMW 630D GT
Well just back from Amrstrong Beattie who said they think it's the hub unit that is bent and causing the wheel to protrude!

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Well just back from Amrstrong Beattie who said they think it's the hub unit that is bent and causing the wheel to protrude!

Have seen this twice before with people hitting the rim and bending the hub!
Think they were both mk4 golfs we fitted them to.

midgelfc

RMS Regular
OP
midgelfc
Drives
BMW 630D GT
Have seen this twice before with people hitting the rim and bending the hub!
Think they were both mk4 golfs we fitted them to.
Audi wanted £251 for the Wheel hub plus £138 for the Wheel bearing!...needless to say wont be going there! Costly mistake (n)

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Audi wanted £251 for the Wheel hub plus £138 for the Wheel bearing!...needless to say wont be going there! Costly mistake (n)

Give Traynors or Joe McKeown a ring as they should have one!
Get it fitted and your sorted(y)

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Did you try TpS got a new hub for £140 for the S6 after my idiocy. Bearings should be cheap enough, mine were £80 for the pair from eBay Germany. Euro car parts would
Probably do them.

midgelfc

RMS Regular
OP
midgelfc
Drives
BMW 630D GT
Did you try TpS got a new hub for £140 for the S6 after my idiocy. Bearings should be cheap enough, mine were £80 for the pair from eBay Germany. Euro car parts would
Probably do them.
Tried searching their site as have the part numbers but came up with nothing, maybe i'll give them a phone in the morning.

1K0 407 255 AA FOR THE HUB HOUSING
1T0 498 621 FOR THE BEARING

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.