Fiesta, clio or corsa

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

barachello

RMS Regular
Drives
CX5 & A3 8P
Hopefully I will be in the market in the next couple of days, for a small hatchback, for my daughter to learn to drive in.

Not looking to spend much, around £1500.

The newer shape corsa's and clio's seem to be falling into that sort of money, as well as the older mk5 fiestas.

Anyone have experience of one of them, or all of them lol?

Anything in particular to aim for?

Thanks

avo5021

RMS Regular
We had a Corsa D for the Other half as a second car, it was one of the LE (not so Limited Edition ones) and it was a great going car, 1.2 nippy enough around town and economical.

As a first car she had a Hyundai Getz 1.1 Gsi, as a first car it was excellent. Easy to drive, easy to park and reasonably OK to insure as a new driver.

vtec1

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus st
We had a Corsa D for the Other half as a second car, it was one of the LE (not so Limited Edition ones) and it was a great going car, 1.2 nippy enough around town and economical.

As a first car she had a Hyundai Getz 1.1 Gsi, as a first car it was excellent. Easy to drive, easy to park and reasonably OK to insure as a new driver.
shell also get to brag to her mates about havin a gsi too

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
When you say newer shape, what do you mean?

I had a mk2 Clio, good to drive and parts were cheap. Was reasonably reliable too.
A couple of mates had mk6 fiestas and could say much the same.

barachello

RMS Regular
OP
barachello
Drives
CX5 & A3 8P
Newer shape as in 06/07/08 models

The yaris would be too small, as at times the back seats would have to be used!

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Hopefully I will be in the market in the next couple of days, for a small hatchback, for my daughter to learn to drive in.

Not looking to spend much, around £1500.

The newer shape corsa's and clio's seem to be falling into that sort of money, as well as the older mk5 fiestas.

Anyone have experience of one of them, or all of them lol?

Anything in particular to aim for?

Thanks

I assume you mean mk6 Fiesta as a mk5 can be had for a lot less than £1500 like about £1200 less lol

02032011202.jpg

MK5 <3 The best car I ever had
FIESTA_7.JPG

Mk6

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I assume you mean mk6 Fiesta as a mk5 can be had for a lot less than £1500 like about £1200 less lol

MK5 <3 The best car I ever had

Was going to say the same Steve. My Mk5 Zetec S was the most fun car I've ever owned, hands down and I've had some decent wagons over the years.

For me out of those three it would be the Fiesta.

I drive my mums Corsa on a fairly regular basis (7 years old and had it from new) and it's not a good car. Perfectly adequate and reliable for what she needs and she got a good deal at the time but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

Can't really comment on the Clio 3 as the only one I've driven was my old RS200 so don't really know what the base models are like. I do know the interior build quality was hit and miss. For example my airbag light came on everytime I moved the drivers seat back and forward and one of the dash strips (trims) just didn't fit at all.

The mk6 Fiesta is definitely the best build of the lot of them and also drives quite well. It's fairly well build if a bit basic in the very bottom of the range ones.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Mk 6 Fiesta would take my vote....... but Fabia was up there too for reliability and economy.

giphy.gif

barachello

RMS Regular
OP
barachello
Drives
CX5 & A3 8P
Yes mk6 Fiesta!!

I think it says a lot that the mk6 Fiesta is holding its money against the face-lifted versions of the Corsa/Clio.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
My mum has had her mk6 fiesta for years now and it's been great. Only downside on 3 door is the lift handle to get into rear seat. Hers broke a few times now and she uses a cable tie until until its up for sale soon when IL stick one in.

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
My missus had two of the Mk.6 Fiestas and absolutely loved them, 1.25 Zetec engine, adequate performance and economy

I drove them a few times too, good driver and built like a tank

I couldn't recommend any Vauxhall as I hate their interiors, tatty cheap plastic galore!

I would rate the Skoda Fabia too

avo5021

RMS Regular
The Fabia is actually a good call, you can pick up a new shape Fabia with low mileage for little money.

Or if you fancied a new Skoda the Citygo is a good small car and the deals on them at Mervyn Stewart's are very attractive.

If interested pm me here or FB and I'll give you the guys name to go to for a decent deal.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
I'd rate the mk6 Fiesta too, had one years ago and it stuck no end of abuse

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Stay away form 3 cylinder POS's.

Suggest - Yaris, Fiesta, Fabia, Polo, Punto

Give me a shout if you want me to go with you too look at something.

Last edited:

barachello

RMS Regular
OP
barachello
Drives
CX5 & A3 8P
Stay away form 3 cylinder POS's.

Suggest - Yaris, Fiesta, Fabia, Polo, Punto

Give me a shout if you want me to go with you too look at something.
Thanks for that and uch appreciated! !

At the minute it's looking very like a wee fiesta, just need to find a low mileage one.

Polo's still seem to be holding their money well

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Thanks for that and uch appreciated! !

At the minute it's looking very like a wee fiesta, just need to find a low mileage one.

Polo's still seem to be holding their money well
That they do. But bare in mind, like I advised a friend of mine years ago, a 10 year old Polo is every bit as good as a 5 year old Fiesta. Maybe not so much with the Mk6, but this was back in Mk3 days lol. Anyway, he bought a Polo, kept it 4 years and is now on his 3rd Golf!

Can't really knock the Fiesta, haven't seen a rotten one yet, stay away from diesel, diesel with low mileage / town driving is more hassle than it's worth!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.