Europa blue 8v gti project

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

renman8957

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane RS250
Hi guys, been quite a while since I've been on here with my MK2 1.3 a few years ago, but now I've just got myself a Mk3 8v Gti in Europa Blue Mica. Long story short I'd seen the car sat for a few months down the road from me, a work colleague got talking to the guy about it, got a price and I pretty much had to have it at that point so now its a fixture in the driveway. Only just out of MOT so might not take too much to get it through but I'll not hold myself to that.
photo storage
photo storage
First things first it needed a deep inside declutter and clean so out came the trusty wetvac, steering wheel was green but as you can see its back to standard now luckily
photo storage
photo storage
photo storage
Yes that gearknob is going, its not even attached. Next up was the exterior. Used ODK Arctic Snowfoam, then ODK Jet shampoo with a lambs wool mitt, followed by a clay mitt and a coat of FK1000p sealant just to keep it looking this way for a while. Definitely needs a polish up and a few areas need the rust looked at but doesn't appear to be too bad for its ages. Definitely got a list to get through
image hosting over 10mb
photo uploading
imgurl
image hosting websites
image hosting websites
So from cleaning it up I've gathered a list of parts I need and work that needs done, so far this is it:

New Battery - done

New Drivers seat/interior

Replace/reglue headliner as its all saggy- ripped old one out, need replacement

Passenger Rear Window Regulator

Gearknob- replaced

Tyres

Engine Mounts

Get MOT Checked/book MOT, fail and work from there

renman8957

RMS Regular
OP
renman8957
Drives
Megane RS250
Haha if he would that'd be great. list isn't too bad, but a new drivers seat needed before it gives me a piercing I'm not really after

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Excellent.
@weeloaney has all the parts you need and he will give them to you free as he'll never finish his !! :sob:

Cheers
giphy.gif

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Haha if he would that'd be great. list isn't too bad, but a new drivers seat needed before it gives me a piercing I'm not really after
I should be able to help with seats and the gear knob, I basically have 2 mk3 golfs in parts in the rafters of a shed so will need to look some evening this week :p

Definitely have good seats tho.

renman8957

RMS Regular
OP
renman8957
Drives
Megane RS250
That'd be much appreciated, current drivers seat is trying to give me a piercing I wasn't really after in life. Doesn't everybody? my shed is held together with 106 parts from years ago

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
That'd be much appreciated, current drivers seat is trying to give me a piercing I wasn't really after in life. Doesn't everybody? my shed is held together with 106 parts from years ago

My seats are pretty good, backs look barely used and the only bad bit in the fronts was the drivers base bolster, and I was lucky enough to get a mint base on eBay and fitted it.

Aye when I first bought mine a fella that work for my father said you'll sooner have another if not more, there a disease :p

renman8957

RMS Regular
OP
renman8957
Drives
Megane RS250
haha my neighbor 2 doors up has one, that'll do for the overall amount nearby. Mine was owned by a smoker and had been sitting for a few months with seat covers etc on, seats, carpet, headliner and door cards are all rotten. Chucked the headliner, had planned on repairing it but it just fell to bits. Theres enough parts floating around and ebay it should soon all be pretty well sorted, only thing my luck hasn't come in on yet is the rear passenger window regulator

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
haha my neighbor 2 doors up has one, that'll do for the overall amount nearby. Mine was owned by a smoker and had been sitting for a few months with seat covers etc on, seats, carpet, headliner and door cards are all rotten. Chucked the headliner, had planned on repairing it but it just fell to bits. Theres enough parts floating around and ebay it should soon all be pretty well sorted, only thing my luck hasn't come in on yet is the rear passenger window regulator
Smokers cars are rotten when they've been lying up.

Headlines go in them all, that @RoniN asshole is a master at gluing and dying them, so he says.

Can't help with rear regulator as mine are 3 door. Have you tried a motor factors? Probably could still get one.

renman8957

RMS Regular
OP
renman8957
Drives
Megane RS250
I've wetvaced everything twice, replaced the pollen filter and left it sitting for half an hour with the air blasting, didn't help abit. Headliners in pieces so I'd go with beyond saving haha. Havn't tried yet, putting it further down the list until after an MOT, it still goes down just not back up

ross515

RMS Regular
Just bought one myself, fun car to drive! Europa blue is a lovely colour in them.

Could do with a headliner myself, having wet vac'd everything it seems to be the headliner that still has the horrible smokey smell. I'd take a drivers seat too if you've plenty knocking about @weeloaney

renman8957

RMS Regular
OP
renman8957
Drives
Megane RS250
@Simon998 well if you need a 106 gti rear bumper, skirts or arches, I'm your man. Painted by a blind drunk 17 year old, just the look the people want. Headliners been out a day or two and no improvement in smell, going with well embedded in the seats and carpet

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Just bought one myself, fun car to drive! Europa blue is a lovely colour in them.

Could do with a headliner myself, having wet vac'd everything it seems to be the headliner that still has the horrible smokey smell. I'd take a drivers seat too if you've plenty knocking about @weeloaney

Sorry only have one set of seats.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini
@Simon998 well if you need a 106 gti rear bumper, skirts or arches, I'm your man. Painted by a blind drunk 17 year old, just the look the people want. Headliners been out a day or two and no improvement in smell, going with well embedded in the seats and carpet

I've filled my quota of badly painted panels on the 106 already, any more and I'm going to have to call it Harlequin White.

Good luck with the project. My dad had one when I was a youth, the engine let go in Limerick in the midst of a family 'holiday'. Good times.

renman8957

RMS Regular
OP
renman8957
Drives
Megane RS250
Little bits of progress with the Golf here and there, rear is now dewipered since it definitely had the arm off something completely different and it looks abit smoother without and the interior is a little cleaner again. Got it insured yesterday, so going to book an MOT and see what it fails on. Still need to get replacement seats and headliner, and if I can find decent enough ones at the right money the doorcards and carpet too. Steering wheel is on that list too, the material is very loose around the actual wheel so doubt thats safe haha

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Little bits of progress with the Golf here and there, rear is now dewipered since it definitely had the arm off something completely different and it looks abit smoother without and the interior is a little cleaner again. Got it insured yesterday, so going to book an MOT and see what it fails on. Still need to get replacement seats and headliner, and if I can find decent enough ones at the right money the doorcards and carpet too. Steering wheel is on that list too, the material is very loose around the actual wheel so doubt thats safe haha

Mate I'm sorry, the last month has been a bit hectic and I forgot all about the seats.

I'm in England atm but will be home on Monday, I'm off work till Thursday so can get a look for/at them. Tag me in a post to remind me just in case.

renman8957

RMS Regular
OP
renman8957
Drives
Megane RS250
Thanks @weeloaney thats really appreciated, theres no great hurry with it, havn't got an MOT booked for it yet even. Be one less thing off my list for sure, before the MOT adds a couple of thousand other things to it haha

renman8957

RMS Regular
OP
renman8957
Drives
Megane RS250
Well just back from an MOT, it failed which I did expect, its just on totally different things that I expected haha missing wheel nuts because the previous owner decided to keep his locking nuts I can only assume, a steering gaiter and offside suspension bush. Not bad going. It did break down on the way home though, just turned itself off for no reason I can see obviously. Fiddled with a few connectors and hoses, couple of minutes later it came back to life. Yay

renman8957

RMS Regular
OP
renman8957
Drives
Megane RS250
Round 2 of the MOT went much better, passed. Engine cut off because of a broken connector in the large wiring clip at the front of the engine, so rewired that and it seems to be sorted, hasn't done it since. Just need to tax it then can start driving it, much easier to get parts for it when you can actually drive the car they're going in, not much room in the mini

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.