Whatever happened to EMMA Soundoffs and SPL Events?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Just been thinking about these back in the day there were almost every 3rd meet was an IASCA/EMMA Soundoff or SPL Event.

Do they even still happen or just no coverage on here? Surely there must be some audiophiles still attending?

It's crazy to see some of the cars that used to attend these and how the style choices have changed over the years on the outside, but the bootbuilds are pretty similar to stuff you see now, with the omission of an air tank.

I always remember Hudsons Mondeo Estate from my youth in the Port, you ALWAYS heard it before you seen it!

SIM Sound Off at Sound In Motion - RMS Motoring

170.jpg

ka.jpg

mondeo.jpg

purplea4T

RMS Regular
It certainly seems to have died a death, I think there are still affiliated events but it's certainly nowhere near as big as it used to be. I'd a '99 Clio with 4 JL Audio 12"'s and a rack of Caliber amps, hit a tidy 143.3 dB. Unfortunately had all my kit stolen from the garage when I was in between cars.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I love the detail a lot of guys put into SQ builds, I used to spend hours in work drooling over builds on Talkaudio. I never "got" it years back, I just wanted a serious thumper and to be antisocial!
I've a load of Phoenix Gold, Focal and Alpine type R stuff that might find its way into the the Saab

Hudson

RMS Regular
Cheers Gobsheene, that seems like years ago now. was great craic at the time competing. and would love to see what all has changed since then

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I got a couple of MTX Thunder series subs off a member on here and had them in my Freelander for a while before fitting them to a mates 206.

Ended up buying a replacement bootlid for the 206 after the pressure bucked the window out :cool:

Definitely still appreciate a nice tidy boot build though.

j44nty

RMS Regular
I got a couple of MTX Thunder series subs off a member on here and had them in my Freelander for a while before fitting them to a mates 206.

Ended up buying a replacement bootlid for the 206 after the pressure bucked the window out :cool:

Definitely still appreciate a nice tidy boot build though.

I think I bought an mtx thunder off you one night in a car park lol. Still have it in the attic never fitted it as I didn't have a good enough amp for the job must dig it out for the next motor.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I think I bought an mtx thunder off you one night in a car park lol. Still have it in the attic never fitted it as I didn't have a good enough amp for the job must dig it out for the next motor.

Yeah, we met in Carryduff from memory.

It was a pair of them and a big Class D monoblock that we had feeding them. Some racket when the likes of Jay Z or Linkin Park was wound up high... Lol

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Never properly competed but still have all the stuff sitting in the spare bedroom and can't bear to part with it but know it will probably never end up in the car again.
:worried:

Focal tlr's, focal audiom's, Genesis series III amps and Sony cdx c90 and XDP 4000. Still miss it everyday I turn on a standard system.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I loved the sound off's myself. I couldn't afford the big stuff but I managed a respectable 133.3dB with a pair of unbranded 8" subs in a Perspex box and some JL Audio door speakers in home built pods in a wee mk3 fiesta I had many many moons ago!!

Its a shame it seems to have died a death. There's still a wee red fiesta van with a serious install that turns up at a few shows every now and then

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I'd love to maybe do something with the Zafira, although it's a huge space to try and fill with sound, especially when I've to try and keep it practical at the same time! Lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I always much preferred the car audio side of modifications, rather than power bolt one. Used to love seeing all Audio Advices work.

Would be good to see folks old installs again! Never knew you were into it Pete. Not sure if I have any photos :worried:.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
I had all my gear stolen out of a well known recovery yard in ballymena moons ago.over 4K of stuff when I was earning 29.50 a week.still see the old bollox driving about in his truck and my blood still boils.it was in there
"Secure lock up" lol..shame the wee sh1te that worked for you had the keys also.

BigMick

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Never been into SPL myself, more in sound quality and OEM integration as much as possible. I do appreciate the building skills and quality I have seen though.
I think the big car audio meets/competition probably merged into the general car meets and those have sometimes a sound competition, such as the Harmony Hill Car Show.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
That was always a problem @jimcupra.

When they started judging based on style as well as sound the boys with the open cheque books always won!

I think that's where the "built not bought" phrase sparked from. That said when I had my wee fiesta I did put a few noses out of joint with unbranded subs and a decent output! Lol

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Audio Advice have had their Beetle and customer cars at loads of shows this year?

Everything has just gotten smaller and more powerful.

jimcupra

RMS Regular
Of course it was I always used Rockford fosgate amps and subs but preferred sound stream components. Sitting in the car for hours with phasing switches to get it perfect. Hours and hours making my boot build, door and tweeter pods. Turn up to a show and get blown away by a bought install. That was over 20 years ago. I got my own back at doncaster show, 1st sq and 1st spl. 140db from a single 10 with a 40.1. Blew the sub and Rockford replaced it there and then just because I won :p.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
There's still a wee red fiesta van with a serious install that turns up at a few shows every now and then

That would be Gary from Audio Advise

10,000 watts

Last event I was at, all I can remember was a Daihatsu Charade with concrete in the door pockets.

The thing barely moved it was that heavy but by feck it was loud.

Sounds like my mate Dave

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Big audio fan myself. I know @m00k would enjoy this too.

I keep meaning to get my Focal comps and genesis and diamond gear into the mk3 but im too busy playing under the bonnet ffs.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.