2012 Vw polo, Sidelights a nightmare to change??

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

LewisHunter_

RMS Member
Drives
2012 Volkswagen
anyone changed the sidelight bulbs on a polo 6r? space is very tight and i seem to be pissing into the wind trying to change them

Darren91

RMS Regular
Elsa indeed says if there is no space behind it the unit has to be removed.

However it's only 2 torx screws on the top and the whole light tilts forward.

PM your email and I'll send the guides across.

Last edited:

matt1207

RMS Regular
Drives
mk7.5 R
I'll have a look on Elsa later on when I'm home. Hopefully there's a guide on there

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
What is it with b**tard cars these days. We can put tons and tons of music on a usb stick the size of a 10p piece, smart phones can do more than what a mammoth size computer couldnt do years ago. Everything gets smaller and better. Cars are the opposite, no room under the bonnet for sweet fa else but whats already there and you have to take your headlights out to change a bloody light bulb. Boils my blood !

LewisHunter_

RMS Member
OP
LewisHunter_
Drives
2012 Volkswagen
Thanks Boys! Im putting a GTI Grill on at christmas time so im going to just pop the headlights out then and swap the bulbs over :grinning:

Appreciated!

matt1207

RMS Regular
Drives
mk7.5 R
Had a look on elsa just out of curiosity, had this wee gem:

"If space behind headlight is occupied by other components then headlight must be removed for its bulb to be renewed"

dead on, cheers VW.

But as lyons has said, headlight out, doesn't sound too difficult

"Remove securing bolts and push headlight forward out of lower attachments."

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Give it a year and every single VAG will be that annoying guy behind you with one misalinged light blinding you :p

karl7900

RMS Regular
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
Touareg owners manual advises bulb replacement for the headlamps is a dealer only operation. A quick Google points you toward the headlight removal tool in the toolkit and it's a 5min job once you've got the knack of it.

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
Had a good few cars that were supposedly headlight out jobs to change bulbs but got away alright if you have skinny fingers and don't mind squashing you hand a bit you can usually do it or remove a few things in the engine bay can be easier than removing bumper and lights.

They make it so hard in the hope you'll go in and pay labour

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Had a good few cars that were supposedly headlight out jobs to change bulbs but got away alright if you have skinny fingers and don't mind squashing you hand a bit you can usually do it or remove a few things in the engine bay can be easier than removing bumper and lights.

They make it so hard in the hope you'll go in and pay labour

No they don't. Its made difficult because of the growing amount of technology etc under the bonnet combined with vastly improved crash safety, including pedestrian safety. This is then constantly fighting with the styling of the vehicle to create something that works and looks good. All of this then fights with serviceability. Packaging for an OEM is an absolute nightmare but they do not do things to get you into the dealer. Most OEM's don't own there dealer and have to pay them when things are replaced in the warranty period so why would they make things difficult and in turn increase their warranty spend?

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
Yeah it would be so hard for these expert designers to make not even an inch more room to get your fingers in

Bulbs are consumable and so not covered by warranty

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Yeah it would be so hard for these expert designers to make not even an inch more room to get your fingers in

Have you ever worked for an OEM or discussed packaging design with anybody that does? That inch that you suggest is indeed incredibly hard to find, otherwise it would be there. If you had any appreciation of the effort that goes into packaging design and the teams of people whose job it is you would know how difficult it is. I am not defending the fact that you have to take a headlight out to replace a bulb as I don't think you should have to, just telling you why it is the way it is.

A lot of people now have service packs or work on leasing options where the likes of bulb replacements are included but regardless of that, the OEM never actually gets money from the labour so why would they design it to increase labour time? Everything is designed with serviceability in mind but like I said its a constant battle and its lower down the list normally than functionality, safety and design because those things sell cars, serviceability doesn't.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Elsa tells a lot of lies. Apparently to remove a xenon bulb from a Passat CC the front bumper cover has to be removed and the headlight pulled out. I just reached my hand in and removed and replaced it. God I'm a wonderful mechanic. :p

The aforementioned xenon bulb was replaced under VW warranty as it blew after 1000 odd miles and apparently they are meant to last x number of hours minimum. Guy was pleased he saved £140ish

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
mk2driver said:
Have you ever worked for an OEM or discussed packaging design with anybody that does? That inch that you suggest is indeed incredibly hard to find, otherwise it would be there. If you had any appreciation of the effort that goes into packaging design and the teams of people whose job it is you would know how difficult it is. I am not defending the fact that you have to take a headlight out to replace a bulb as I don't think you should have to, just telling you why it is the way it is.

A lot of people now have service packs or work on leasing options where the likes of bulb replacements are included but regardless of that, the OEM never actually gets money from the labour so why would they design it to increase labour time? Everything is designed with serviceability in mind but like I said its a constant battle and its lower down the list normally than functionality, safety and design because those things sell cars, serviceability doesn't.

Wow your taking this bad

Id rather my entire car was an inch longer if it meant I could change bulbs myself rather than have to drive to a dealer wasting epic amounts of time

It is a part of functionality and safety to have working headlights at all times imo

Vinny

Drives
Vw Polo 6R

can you send me the guide please?

Avant1

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
2 Torx and a good pull they have locators underneath that hold them pretty well .. They just slide out - forward

Nick Welsman

RMS Member
Drives
Focus & Polo

Can I have a copy of this guide too?
I need to change headlight bulb on 2009 Polo and looks like a bumper removal job!

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
Good old VW are fond of making headlights that need to be removed to change a bulb, and 9 times out of 10 you need to remove the bumper to get the lights out.

Nick Welsman

RMS Member
Drives
Focus & Polo
Good old VW are fond of making headlights that need to be removed to change a bulb, and 9 times out of 10 you need to remove the bumper to get the lights out.

I had to do the same with a Corsa a few years back!
--------------------------------
Does anybody know if you need to remove the wheel arch liner to get the bumper off?

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
Not the full arch liner, but you will have to undo the screws along the edge where the bumper and arch liner join

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.