Accident in open policy

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Oonagh

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone could help me with my query...

We have Van insurance (open policy, anyone over 25 can drive), it has one main driver named on it (he has no points, clean licence etc).

We have a fella who drives the van on odd occasions if the main driver needs time off etc, however, yesterday the van was in an accident, and it was the other fella was who driving the van. He is over 25, but has 6 points on his licence for speeding. I didn't report the 6 points to the insurance company when I was getting insured with them, i told them all the information about the main driver.

I am not sure who is at fault in this accident, as i am still waiting for police to get back to me regarding this.

Will my insurance still cover me?

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Get on to your broker, and see how they can help you.

We have open insurance for our work vans and all points must be declared

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
It's between you and your insurance company. Without seeing the small print if your policy, we will never know who the do/do not cover, whether points have to be declared for every driver or not, whether they even cover drivers with points etc...

Either way, you should have been on to your insurance company already to inform them of the accident, regardless of who's at fault.

pablo

RMS Moderator
if its an open policy why do you have to inform about *anyone* who may drive it? Surely I could land down and drive it with your permission?

the T&Cs would likely have exclusions, eg more than X points etc. youll need to read through them all.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
if its an open policy why do you have to inform about *anyone* who may drive it? Surely I could land down and drive it with your permission?

the T&Cs would likely have exclusions, eg more than X points etc. youll need to read through them all.
That's what I'd have thought. Not much of an open policy if you need to declare everyone driving altho the small print part could be true.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.