Alloy wheels reseal & split rim bolt

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

johnm

RMS Regular
Ok i need to get my two front wheels resealed as they are seeping air through the split rim bolts and one of the bolts is broke. So need to get a new one.

Thinking of doing this myself but tbh i'd prefer to get some-one who knows how to do it. Who would be the best person around Belfast to bring these two?

I've tried using a bucket of tyre sealant too no luck. Torque the bolts too, no luck. So will need split, cleaned & resealed.

Cheers folks.

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
Sikaflex or tigerseal is what you need. I assume you stripped as much of the old sealant off as you could before putting new stuff on?

You can get new spare bolts on ebay.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Stripping them tonight and then cleaning them up so all the old gack is off them. Had them done by the fella on here so not sure what was done with them. I'll have a look on egay.

cheers mate.

Bazmcc

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Bora
It's not uncommon for split rims to leak after they've been rebuilt. Usually 1 in every 2 or 3 sets will need resealed so it's nothing to worry about.
They should be easy enough to seal up again. Probably just a wee air bubble got in the sealant.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Was indeed mate.

It sat up all day yesterday though and both the fronts are now down, so one side is just slower.

I hope it is just an air bubble. Slapped a lot of tyre sealant on when putting the tyres back on and thought it might have held. Must just need to be sterner stuff and applied to seals properly. If you want something done right and all that lol.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Dry or gasket between the rim and lip

then a smooth bead of sealant round the join

biggest mistake is loading sealant between the lip and rim then getting leaks due to uneven application or air.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
steps i was going to do...
Clean wheel
split it
clean in the lip so they're is no sealant remaining anywhere on it
apply new sealant on both sides of bolts holes and in a couple of lines along the dish that slides back onto the back part.
put bolts back in (one each side at a time) half tighten & leave for a couple of hours then fully tighten.

should sort it?

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Dont put the sealant on both sides - thats how you introduce air when the two parts meet

A thin smear on one side would be better, and i mean thin.

outwards of the bolt holes, i would then apply an even bead the whole way round, when bolting together this single bead will then be squeezed. Torque down the wheel bolts, lick your finger and smooth the bead out the entire circumference of the join. Clean off the excess.

Should have no problems then.

People use way way too much sealant and this causes the leaks. Same happens on halfshafts, diff housings, engine back plates, water pumps, everything really - the less sealant the better

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Split them right down, use coarse sand paper to remove all the old sealant and leave the surface slightly rough, apply new sealant (leaving it proud so it will leave a good bit of it inside the rim when its rebuilt), bolt the 2 sides together, then smooth the excess right around the inside of the lip (over the join) before it hardens.

Should be enough, as I'd to do the very same last year with a set of Veilside's (Timmy's drift car sat still for 3 months over the winter there, and none of them were soft). Used Tigarseal as the sealant (any motor factors should stock it).

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.