Alloys powder coating.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Paddy H

Banned
Drives
Accord Executive
Im wondering what my options are for powder coating the alloys on the R26 when I get home.

I need somewhere that will take off the wheels, remove the rubber and then do the job as I dont have a spare set.

I know there is a place near UUJ but they seem to charge a small fortune for the job.

Can anyone point me in the direction, or does anyone happen to do it from home?

Ta

deevtec

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic 1.8 VTi (m
My painter advised against powder coating he had his rims on his range rover powder coated an when he went to recon them paint wouldn't take to them so he tried nitromorsing them an it didn't work! So they now need sandblasted!

V600-MRK

RMS Regular
Drives
mk 4 golf
the wheels on my anni are powder coated gun metal chrome, fantastic job! but i bought the car from england so not sure where they were done.

Nuluk wheels seems to be all the talk atm. and when getting wheels refurbed i suggest not even taking price into the equation go by peoples past exsperience be it cheap or not

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Nu-Luk is the place you are talking about in carrick.

They are more expensive than some other places but you get what you pay for.

You can drop your car off there and they will remove the wheels etc

They powder coat all wheels then paint over them. They also strip all wheels back to bare alum before doing any work to them.

chunky

RMS Regular
Drives
Lots
My painter advised against powder coating he had his rims on his range rover powder coated an when he went to recon them paint wouldn't take to them so he tried nitromorsing them an it didn't work! So they now need sandblasted!

He musn't be able to paint to well then lol.

@ ULrich - Do a search mate, theres been loads and loads of topics on powder coating.

astrakid

Drives
astra mk4 sri 2.
look what happened to robert dunlop at the tt years ago, the back wheel shattered because it was powdercoated, aluminium parts should NEVER be powder coated due to the tempratures used to cure it and makes the alloy brittle!

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
look what happened to robert dunlop at the tt years ago, the back wheel shattered because it was powdercoated, aluminium parts should NEVER be powder coated due to the tempratures used to cure it and makes the alloy brittle!

So your saying the majority of major car manufactures are wrong? :confounded:

Most factory fitted wheels are powercoated.

johnm

RMS Regular
Nuluk wheels seems to be all the talk atm. and when getting wheels refurbed i suggest not even taking price into the equation go by peoples past exsperience be it cheap or not

They are more expensive than some other places but you get what you pay for.

You can drop your car off there and they will remove the wheels etc

They powder coat all wheels then paint over them. They also strip all wheels back to bare alum before doing any work to them.

I learnt the hard way, you definitely do get what you pay for!

When it comes to getting them done again, I'll be going to someone who has a long established history of doing it.

Yes it will be more expensive, but then it will be done right and you wont have to rip your wheels apart to reseal them and also discover only one part was powder coated, valve's were not replaced etc.

astrakid

Drives
astra mk4 sri 2.
most factory fitted wheels are not podercoated, there done with a high build primer and then painted, we have had hundreds of both standard and aftermarket alloys blasted for painting in the past and not 1 set were powder coated from the factory!

this is what happens to powdercoated alloys!!

DMCCMontreal2009HenneseyCamaroRo-20.jpg

350zwheelpowdercoated.jpg

ka88

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997 C2S

I think that was a myth tbh, powder coating is done at about 200 degress C if I remember correctly. A moderate domestic oven basically.

Certain wheels probably get hotter due to heat soak from the brakes. Powder coating is fine for wheels, it's pretty much a necessity to have any endurance.

tim

RMS Regular
I think you'll find, practically every single wheel ever to go through Nuluk Wheels workshop has been powder coated.

Give them a call, I think they know what they're playing at :grinning:

scoobyman

RMS Regular
Drives
skyline
most factory fitted wheels are not podercoated, there done with a high build primer and then painted, we have had hundreds of both standard and aftermarket alloys blasted for painting in the past and not 1 set were powder coated from the factory!

this is what happens to powdercoated alloys!!

DMCCMontreal2009HenneseyCamaroRo-20.jpg

350zwheelpowdercoated.jpg
the factory i worked in powder coated wheels

ka88

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche 997 C2S
Is there not powder with a low TG that is used for powder coating wheels?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.