Alpine 9812rb HU switching off then on every 10secs

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Ashton

RMS Regular
Drives
I bought the Alpine 9812rb headunit today and put it in myself, just connected the few wires....but when when i turn it on after about 10seconds or less it turns itself off thenback on...and so on.

Does anybody know what i have done wrong or need to do to ensure its installed properly?

Help appreciated!

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
Strange one. Only thing i can think of is loose wiring. Is it connected via the ISO plugs, or is the loom cut? And is it the EXACT same amount of time before it turns itself off each time?

eyeball

RMS Member
Drives
ITR DC2 Type R
first of all, check that the main power cable is connected properly (yellow), if in doubt of ISO power supply, take it away from the ISO loom, and run a cable direct to your battery, they are a high power head unit and require direct connection to the battery. secondly, take the headunit out and start the car, using a multimeter check the voltage coming down the ignition feed (red) it should read anywhere from 12v to 13.5v, then check the voltage coming down the constant live (yellow) it should be anywhere from 11.5v to 14v, any less and that might be your problem, and finally, when you have your headunit connected, do not put it back into the dash just yet, leave it on for a while and see if the back of the headunit gets hot, also check that the fan is working, these unit can generate some heat and if they get too hot, like most things, they just shut down.if you have a cd chngr connected, disconect it, and try running the headunit like that;if the problem goes, then your problem was with the changer. that shud hopefully help you out, if nothing ive said works or even suggests the problem, pm me.

buff

RMS Regular
Drives
Jimny
your problem is the 206 lol its got a semi multiplexed loom in it, other things are wired through the std. radio basically. you might also find it comes on when you open the door lol.

you normally have to swap a couple of pins about and cut out the remote wire to make it work properly. would have to check it with a meter to be certain of which ones, but the earth is dead on normally the red and yellow need switched but the yellow relocated in the ISO block.

go through the iso (car end) with a meter. connect your black probe to the earth.
now switch ignition off and remove key. wait 2mins (time delay circuit).
your looking to get a reading between 10-14V on one of the pins (if you get it on more than on go for the thickest wire). connect your yellow to this.

now for the red. switch the ignition on and look for a power feed with the meter. again go for the thickest wire and be sure this stays up around 12V for more than 30secs.

snip your remote turn on (bule or blue/white) so its not connected to the car but is to the radio.

that should do it.

normally its will go from this layout:
R .B
Bk _ Y

to this
Y .B
Bk R

but double check or you might fry something!!!!

just rememberd the 9812 has the V-drive amp that recommends you wire it to the battery, if your doing this then you only need to find the right connection for the red cable.

buff

RMS Regular
Drives
Jimny
another quick check to eliminate the car, disconnect the red wire and plug it into your yellow, the unit should now be on all the time. assuming your yellow feed is connected to the battery or is giving a good reading.

you can also try the reverese, (yellow connected to red) and see if that works. keep the volume low or you might pop a fuse.

Peter

RMS Regular
If this has the 4x60w amplifier built in I think these need their own power cable to battery or ignition. Mine did anyway!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
they do need separate power cable straight to the battery - plus most of the above :p

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
they dont need seperate cable straight to the battery, mine was through the ISO power.

Ashton

RMS Regular
OP
Ashton
Drives
cheers for the advice, i think i am best to show this info to someone who is a bit more knowledgeable with wiring HU's and get them to have a go...thanks folks !! :grinning:

Ashton

RMS Regular
OP
Ashton
Drives
got the HU wired in today thanks to the help of a mate... the old wiring was wrong apparently so had to cut off the wires from the peugeot plug and alpine plug and adapt them into a new plug all together... works 100% now. Thanks for the advice all!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.