Another "What should I buy?" thread

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Big Jon

RMS Regular
Drives
G87 M2
Ok, as you may know, I love my Italian cars. Having had a variety of Fiats and Alfas (mostly Alfas) over the last 20 or so years, with the odd interloper (VXR8), and I've enjoyed all of them.

Now, I'm looking to change my current Giulietta QV and although it's ok I fancy something with a bit more "go". Unfortunately Alfa don't have anything quicker at the moment (not counting the 4C) so I'm having to look at either the current crop of hot hatches or perhaps something second hand.

I need something with 4 doors and have been thinking along the lines of the M135i BMW (The ugly child of the BMW family), Golf R (not terribly excited at the prospect of owning a Golf), Audi S3 (a bit too safe maybe?) or something along those lines. I think the A45 Merc would be a bit too expensive but may consider that too.

Thinking a bit left field I had a notion of a second hand Jaguar XFR but not sure how ruinous that would be to run, although having had a VXR8 I've had some experience of high running costs. The only issue is finding someone outside of Hursts that could look after the Jag as I really don't want to go near that crowd ever again.

So, you get the idea; what should I be adding to my list of potential test drives? Looking at £30k max budget.

Let's see what you can come up with that may pique my interest :laughing:

karron

RMS Regular
Drives
ford puma
just go back a few years and get yourself another italian...:grinning:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...troporte-s-auto-4-7/1880140?isexperiment=true
maserati-quattroporte-s-auto-4-7-62278801-3.jpg

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Lexus LS460 FSport, might be over budget though

(Standard Lexus reply to any what car thread I reply in lol)

Edit: Nevermind they're £50-£60k :scream:

Last edited:

56oval

RMS Regular
Ok, as you may know, I love my Italian cars. Having had a variety of Fiats and Alfas (mostly Alfas) over the last 20 or so years, with the odd interloper (VXR8), and I've enjoyed all of them.

Golf R (not terribly excited at the prospect of owning a Golf)
So, you get the idea; what should I be adding to my list of potential test drives? Looking at £30k max budget.

Let's see what you can come up with that may pique my interest :laughing:

We just took delivery of a new mk7 GT for the family hack, great allrounder, well built and specced to the hilt, my dad has a merc B class (brand new) and to be fair i think the build quality and finish in the golf is a few steps ahead, much as merc looks the part, theyve still got a way to go to justify themselves over so called lesser brands for the money. Bmw, been there done that, love em, but with a prop and rwd cuts down the rear cabin space/feel for me. As a competent allrounder with excellent spec, i'd look at the "R" if you can drag yourself kicking and screaming!!!! ( the golf is up there with the best in its class and for good reason, dont be stigmatised) if not try Audi's offering.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Don't buy an audi or a golf. Dear god can you imagine waking up in the night and realising you have dumped 30k on a vagen.....

Amg c63 all day long. One local to me and I've drooled over it so many times the owner now knows my name and drops a gear when he sees me!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I'm sure the C63 is much more easily run than an XFR too...:rolleyes:

S4 does seem like the perfect choice.

Big Jon

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
G87 M2
We just took delivery of a new mk7 GT for the family hack, great allrounder, well built and specced to the hilt, my dad has a merc B class (brand new) and to be fair i think the build quality and finish in the golf is a few steps ahead, much as merc looks the part, theyve still got a way to go to justify themselves over so called lesser brands for the money. Bmw, been there done that, love em, but with a prop and rwd cuts down the rear cabin space/feel for me. As a competent allrounder with excellent spec, i'd look at the "R" if you can drag yourself kicking and screaming!!!! ( the golf is up there with the best in its class and for good reason, dont be stigmatised) if not try Audi's offering.

I'm sure the Golf is a very competent and well built car but it just looks bland. I'll certainly try and get a run in one but it's just a personal thing, I don't like Volkswagens. I prefer the look of the Audi S3, both outside and inside.

Don't buy an audi or a golf. Dear god can you imagine waking up in the night and realising you have dumped 30k on a vagen.....

Amg c63 all day long. One local to me and I've drooled over it so many times the owner now knows my name and drops a gear when he sees me!

I know what you mean but the Golf or Audi should hold their value reasonably well over the 4 years or so I would have the car. Better than the Alfa anyway.
C63 is a possibility but as nice as the red one above is, it's a 6 year old car and it'd have to be a daily so I'd always have that nagging feeling it'll let me down even though it's a Merc. Could be a possible candidate, will certainly add it to the list.

I'm sure the C63 is much more easily run than an XFR too...:rolleyes:

S4 does seem like the perfect choice.

Audi S4 is another possibility but other than it being a bit bigger not sure what advantage it would have over the S3.

Another slight snag is that the wife occasionally drives my car and I may have a difficult job convincing her a V8 should return to the driveway as she refused to drive the VXR8.8-(

I was also considering giving an Insignia VXR a go. Seem to be able to pick up a nearly new one for a good price.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.