BBC2 'Racing Legends' Colin McRae 28/12/12

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Not 100% factual but holy **** what a show...

Def one to rip onto dvd, shame the man himself wasn't here to be part of it.

Chris hoy was excellent also

Reactions: Mel

Saunts

RMS Regular
Was nice to see his dad was a major part of the program as well. Seems a really nice guy!

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
completely immersive one hour of television. some incredible memories. very much missed - never to be forgotten.

Derek Ringer & Nicky Grist must have some absolutely fantastic memories of Colin.

Alan_M

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia SRI VX-
Excellent show, Pitty they made him out to be reckless about the helicopter crash. His dad seems like a great fella and Hoy was a great man for the show

seaside-racer

RMS Regular
Drives
discovery & wrx
Excellent show. The guy was always 110% committed and he did have some offs but the talent behind the wheel out weighed that, though for me the programme concentrated more on his crashes. There was and never will be such a skilled and entertaining driver to enter the wrc.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Excellent show, Pitty they made him out to be reckless about the helicopter crash. His dad seems like a great fella and Hoy was a great man for the show

He was though sadly

Was nice to see his dad was a major part of the program as well. Seems a really nice guy!

I interviewed jimmy last year over a coffee and he is a true gentleman

BM-Rod

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5/VR6 GOLF
Great show, thought Alister might of played a part in it though. Jimmy still has it yet.

Big Blue Winky

RMS Regular
Drives
Dodge Viper, SRT
Great show really put into perspective the sort of talent and driver that he was. Seeing all his old cars in that collection and then being abused was great to see too.

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Just watched it there now, great show and brought some back some great memories he really was such a character in the sport and always will be missed.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Just watched it last night too, great show (y)

Spectacular driver, and the personality to go with it. If only he had learned to lift off occasionally he would have been a multiple world champion. Still one of the most entertaining drivers around.

Did well in Dakar too.

Really liked seeing Carlos in there. He and Makinen really were the best this side of Grp B, and Colin was right up there when he stayed on the road. They all make the current crop look like kids in a playground in comparison. Would have loved to see Loeb up against those boys - he would still come out well, but would have had to work so much harder.

And old Jimmy is a legend all of his own, lol :grinning:

Derek Ringer & Nicky Grist must have some absolutely fantastic memories of Colin.

Yes - mostly upside down, or hanging from a tree :p :cool:

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
I enjoyed it, some of the footage was excellent

for me Hoy spoilt it tho , that dudes voice bored the life out of me,

jealous at him geting a run out in L555BAT tho :eek:

Big Blue Winky

RMS Regular
Drives
Dodge Viper, SRT
Just watched it last night too, great show (y)

Spectacular driver, and the personality to go with it. If only he had learned to lift off occasionally he would have been a multiple world champion. Still one of the most entertaining drivers around.

Did well in Dakar too.

Really liked seeing Carlos in there. He and Makinen really were the best this side of Grp B, and Colin was right up there when he stayed on the road. They all make the current crop look like kids in a playground in comparison. Would have loved to see Loeb up against those boys - he would still come out well, but would have had to work so much harder.

And old Jimmy is a legend all of his own, lol :grinning:

Yes - mostly upside down, or hanging from a tree :p :cool:

Loeb did go up against them and he was near enough always an also ran unless it was on a Tarmac stages, they really did eat him alive.

That last comment also made me chuckle.

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Loeb did go up against them and he was near enough always an also ran unless it was on a Tarmac stages, they really did eat him alive.

That last comment also made me chuckle.

I was actually thinking about this after the programme. They totally glossed over McRaes time at Citroen where Loeb was dominant. If you'd have only watched the program last night, you'd have assumed his WRC career ended at ford!

Kinda hard to compare ultimately imho, as it was the ending of one career and the start of another. The one thing for certain, is that Loeb was NEVER as entertaining as McRae to watch.

I'm also of the opinion that you probably couldn't win a WRC crown these days driving like McRae. You just need to be soo neat in a modern WRC :worried:. Little reward for untidy, flat out driving as JML is probably closest to demonstrating.

Big Blue Winky

RMS Regular
Drives
Dodge Viper, SRT
I was actually thinking about this after the programme. They totally glossed over McRaes time at Citroen where Loeb was dominant. If you'd have only watched the program last night, you'd have assumed his WRC career ended at ford!

Kinda hard to compare ultimately imho, as it was the ending of one career and the start of another. The one thing for certain, is that Loeb was NEVER as entertaining as McRae to watch.

I'm also of the opinion that you probably couldn't win a WRC crown these days driving like McRae. You just need to be soo neat in a modern WRC :worried:. Little reward for untidy, flat out driving as JML is probably closest to demonstrating.

Let us not forget his brief comeback in the Skoda where he was dominating right up until the car suffered a mechanical failure, a fine example that modern WRC cars aren't up to the abuse of his driving style either.

I haven't watched WRC for years, it just isn't interesting anymore, it needs the showmen like McRae to make it worthwhile I think.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
WRC has definitely gone down the pan, but there is a whole separate thread on that topic :grinning:

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
jealous at him geting a run out in L555BAT tho :eek:

that was just a number plate, the car was ryan champions, N555 BAT

3877280519_609d8c44f0_z.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.