brake caliper handbrake mechanism sticking...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
Can i buy a refurb type kit and do it myself, which would be preferable!

ive changed the caliper and the handbrake on the SAME side keeps sticking on so much so that the only way to release it is to hit it with a mallet.

anyone shed any light on this? ive changed fluid, lines and BOTH handbrake cables.

Thanks!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
most motor factors do re-con calipers on an exchange basis.

I'd say trying to source parts to do a complete job yourself would be a nightmare, if its possible.

Sticky handbrake calipers ( usually stuck off though ) are common on all makes of cars

Petem86

RMS Regular
OP
Petem86
Drives
'15 Golf R
any idea if its easy to look at the handbrake mechanism itself or if thats even fixable?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Usually all those gubbins are deep inside the caliper. May require special tools....never actually taken a rear caliper apart.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Had this last week one a mk4 golf which had been sitting a bit. The handbrake cables connected with a lever arm on the inside edge of the caliper and one had seized into place. It was a matter of loosening it with a 13mm spanner, copper greasing it and popping it back in. Easy job -20 minutes at most. Is there an adjuster at the front just behind the actual handbrake? It may be down to that?

Petem86

RMS Regular
OP
Petem86
Drives
'15 Golf R
Pulling the handbrake up didn't pull the cable at all this morning because the drivers caliper was stuck on...cue hammer and fixed. So it can't be anything to be with the lever or adjuster, plus it's only one side.

I've a caliper lying down I'll clean up and take apart to see

It's incredibly annoying as I think if I tightened it somit actually works it would stick on even more! Grrrr

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Pulling the handbrake up would cause the handbrake to be on. You said you changed the rear brake parts but don't know if you can look at the handbrake mechanism? It's nearly always off board the caliper in order to make it independent from the brake circuit. It sounds like the handbrake mechanism at the caliper has seized. Free it off by the method used above and follow the route of the h brake cables to make sure it isn't caught anywhere, or better still take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.