E90 MSPORT- 330D VS 320D..Which one?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gaz_DC5

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A7
Evening guys- Need some help with this one.

I know their are other similar threads but just thought I would gather some fresh opinions as I can't decide between these two.

I am going to buy an E90 M Sport and was pretty set on a 330D but I am attracted to the better MPG of the 320D (and the initial cost vs the 330) but is it worth paying the extra for the 330D? It will mainly be used for the 60 round trip to work everyday and Im not sure if the extra power would be that useable anyway, although on the other hand I am attracted to the 6 pot engine over the 320D. :confounded:

I feel the 177bhp the 320d carries would probably be enough to keep me happy, I wouldnt want to map it as I know the turbos are a common fault. Speaking of turbos, just how big of an issue are they with the E90? The one I buy is likely to have about 60k on it so Im hoping that it wont be too big of a concern? ^o) Full service history is a must obviously.

Anyone with the 330d engine what MPG are you seeing for the daily drive? Im suspecting around 35 / 40 vs the 45 / 50 of the 320d?

Is there much of a difference with service intervals between the two?

Cheers (y)

PJS

RMS Regular
Has to be the 330 irrespective - get it bought and get the photos up.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I had the same dilemma when I bought my E60. Finally decided on a 520d for the reasons you outlined above. Don't forget cheaper tax too. Remapped to 200 bhp and you've got a great all rounder.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
If you can afford the 330d then go for it. If you're anything like me you'll have the 320d 6 months and start wondering why you didn't spend the few extra quid and go for the 330d.

Don't forget the initial purchase price will be offset against resale price when you're ready to move on. Is it really going to cost that much more?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
It's not always a case of buying the biggest fastest etc. Buy one which suits you based on your commute etc. I chose my model based on a number of factors and it's suited me perfectly.

Jason

RMS Regular
Personally id go 320d, 330d's are loads dearer for same thing! Also i'm being badly put off e90's recently as they seem to be the new chav/felt craze, coilovers + big rims + 335 rears...with powerflow pipes lol

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Good friend of mine is about to advertise his manual Le Man blue 330d M Sport, lemon leather, sat nav etc etc. I think he's looking £13k, real tidy car, and mpg is better due to the manual box.

Drop me a PM if you want put in touch with him, he's based in Coleraine.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Wouldn't be expecting you to buy it anyway, you'd probably offer him £4k and try and sell it for £15k as a one owner minter, best in Ireland! :p

Revogti

RMS Regular
Drives
????
i honestly would save, beg or steal for the extra money a 330d commands if i were you - its twice the car IMO.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
ive an e46 330d with full system turbo back, rebuilt turbo and before the remap im getting 34.7mpg, thats been measured for the last 10k miles.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
It sounds to me like your more set on the 320. To be honest I have driven plenty and there is ample power in them, the 330d is alot better but when it's your daily hack and you have a dc5 for kicks I dont think it's worth the extra money

205GTINUT

RMS Regular
Drives
E36 M3 Evo
We've had a 320d over 5years without any major dramas. Plenty of power for everyday driving and pretty easy on the pocket. After the warranty we changed the service intervals from 15k to 10k. We had one problem one month out of warranty with the abs unit 1800 quid job, Bmw fixed it as we had bought a Mini also, which was decent of them!!

Great car imo..

l60mcm

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 320D M Sport
We've had a 320d over 5years without any major dramas. Plenty of power for everyday driving and pretty easy on the pocket. After the warranty we changed the service intervals from 15k to 10k. We had one problem one month out of warranty with the abs unit 1800 quid job, Bmw fixed it as we had bought a Mini also, which was decent of them!!

Great car imo..

This is a common fault with them (Just out of warranty too) and that is what BMW will quote you to fix it but what they don’t tell you is you can buy the part off them for £160 which I got from prentice and got a mate to fit. A mate of mine who buys and sells cars had two needing replaced in the same week. He priced the part in a few scrap yards and was quoted between £200-£250. My car has never looked back since.

Gaz_DC5

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz_DC5
Drives
Audi A7
Indeed, I drove a 320d E90 and was very disappointed.

What were you dissapointed with Lyons? Was it just the lack of power?

It sounds to me like your more set on the 320. To be honest I have driven plenty and there is ample power in them, the 330d is alot better but when it's your daily hack and you have a dc5 for kicks I dont think it's worth the extra money

I think you may be right Pete. The MPG of the 320d looks very appealing for my 300 miles a week.

This is a common fault with them (Just out of warranty too) and that is what BMW will quote you to fix it but what they don’t tell you is you can buy the part off them for £160 which I got from prentice and got a mate to fit. A mate of mine who buys and sells cars had two needing replaced in the same week. He priced the part in a few scrap yards and was quoted between £200-£250. My car has never looked back since.

Thats horrendous, so you are saying that BMW charge £1640 labour to fit the unit? Surely this cant be right? How long did it take your mate to fit it?

l60mcm

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 320D M Sport
Thats horrendous, so you are saying that BMW charge £1640 labour to fit the unit? Surely this cant be right? How long did it take your mate to fit it?

That is what they charge, if you Google "5e20 pressure sensor 1 electrical faults” you will see how common it is. My car had no traction control when the fault was happening but some people have experienced no cruise control and no abs. It only took about 1hr to replace the part (abs pump). I really love the car and I too was looking a 330d before I bought this but with the cheaper running costs, (tax fuel etc) I have no regrets

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.