engine management light

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

andy_w

RMS Member
Drives
clio
With the law changing about MOT testing is it trie alot of mot examiners are just turning a blind eye to engine lights any body know

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Do they turn a blind eye to bald tyres and blown tail lights now too?

If the engine management light is on, it's telling you that there's something wrong with the car. It could be minor, or it could be a major issue, but either way a faulty/defective car won't pass MOT.

Simples.

andy_w

RMS Member
OP
A
Drives
clio
Will i was told that by a ford mechanic just wondered if anyone else had heard it

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
He's talking out of his hairy hole (y)

And if he's passing the test with MIL's illuminated, he's either blowing the MOT examiner or else slipping him a few quid..

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
While they have been tested since the beginning of the year they were only an advisory until the beginning of the month

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
He's talking out of his hairy hole (y)

And if he's passing the test with MIL's illuminated, he's either blowing the MOT examiner or else slipping him a few quid..
Bit harsh Nicky, seems this has only been a fairly recent mandatory thing.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Perhaps Cooper, but the whole MOT thing has more threads on here than Introduction, and this particular query has been covered numerous times the past few months given that it's new legislation.

I was warned about a minor MIL (it was the light to indicate that there was water in the fuel filter as the wires were nipped when the fuel filter was last changed) at the start of March and told if it was a month later (into the start of April), the car wouldn't have passed, even though it had no other minor faults or advisories. Now that, in my opinion, would have been harsh.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Engine light is not a fail.

I've asked a few examiners and they all say it's not a fail. I thought it was a fail but I was proven wrong.

sean2009

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
hi i bought a car with no engine light (bulb taken out) i didnt no about this till a day or 2later after buying it i no sickner.:worried:
now for MOT will the examiner check for what lights is on in the dash be4 start up..

thanks...

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
hi i bought a car with no engine light (bulb taken out) i didnt no about this till a day or 2later after buying it i no sickner.:worried:
now for MOT will the examiner check for what lights is on in the dash be4 start up..

thanks...

Yes

stevyg

RMS Regular

thanks...

Leave the bulb out :confounded:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Unfortunately they're checking that the light comes on before it goes out. I'd risk it for a biscuit and send her through.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.