Engine Swaps and MOT/Insurance

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

LurganTyreCentre

If you do an engine swap and don't get it changed on the log book is it likely to be spotted by our friends at the MOT centres?

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
If its an upgrade, ie 1.4 to 2.0 then yes, probably, plus the fact your insurance will be invalid

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
I had alot of problems convincing them that my Metro had a 16v engine from the factory, and that was before I stuck the MGF lump into it

ZS

Banned
Drives
Astra 2.0DTi SXi
Depends on the testers I guess. Some guys will spot the wrong engine no problems, others won't.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
the reg certificate has the engine no

if they checked this with the current engine no , they wud realise

however i recon they only check the chassis no

can someone correct me ?

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Most engines the engine number isnt visable anyway. Just grind it off if it is.

tim

RMS Regular
is it illegal for you car to have no chassis number/engine number? as RMS CLK is saying to just 'grind it off' lol ?

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Are the MOT testers actually worried that it's a different engine?? I thought they were only interested to see if the engine was securly in place????

brendy

RMS Regular
the chassis number will be noted, mine was different than documented , was a mistake at seat hq but they almost failed me until i managed to gfind another reference for the chassis number in the boot.
above isnt really relevent as such as it wont have changed but if there is any sort of question over the engine workmanship they can fook you up royally.

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
amg306 said:
Are the MOT testers actually worried that it's a different engine?? I thought they were only interested to see if the engine was securly in place????
They are only checking the car for roadworthyness. They might have something to say about the tax being paid on it. I'd guess like most things to do with MOT it will be mainly up to the testers discression.

LurganTyreCentre

OP
LurganTyreCentre
Well i dunno i'm really thinking about an upgraded engine so what is the legal route then? I can get insurance on the car with the engine i want so it shouldnt be a problem getting insured.

I've to go to craigavon mot centre which is possibly one of the worst for being a little stiff about things like that :p

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
Yeah you can do that 100% legaly with an engineers report. Just update the V5 to include the change of engine.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.